bowtiebutler956

Glenn Pettit's Tiller Lift Assist Spring.

bowtiebutler956

As some of you already know, I put the tiller on the C-160 recently, and had to build a front weight setup for it, as it was very light in the front with the tiller up. 

I also ordered a lift assist spring from Glenn Pettit, as these tillers are quite heavy, and it gets old lifting it up at the end of every row. I made the brackets for it out of 1"x 1/4" steel strap. For the bracket on the tractor, I just welded an extra piece onto the already existing bracket. The tiller bracket was quite easy as well. I just heated it with a torch to make the bends, welded the two pieces together, and drilled the necessary holes.  I must say, Glenn's spring makes it much easier to lift, and its a very high quality piece! Anyone needing one, should check his store out here in the vendors section. Thanks Glenn.  :thumbs:

Matt

post-6076-0-73058800-1390602350_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-91206100-1390602363_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-64891300-1390602378_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-99977000-1390602393_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-35696900-1390602408_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-45330400-1390602419_thumb.jp

Edited by bowtiebutler956
  • Like 2

daveoman1966

I had a lift assist spring set-up just like this using the "trip spring" from a dozer blade.  Unscrew the cast iron ends of the spring, apply hot wrench to 'uncurl' a 3/4 circle loop at each end, then let it air cool so it doesn't get brittle and break.  Use the eye bolt to adjust tension on the spring. 

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

dclarke

I just put one of Glen's springs on the ST326 snow blower that's mounted to my 857. Made a BIG difference!

• Like 2

Terry M

Matt, just wanted to add that I think that tiller looks really nice on your c-160.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I had a lift assist spring set-up just like this using the "trip spring" from a dozer blade.  Unscrew the cast iron ends of the spring, apply hot wrench to 'uncurl' a 3/4 circle loop at each end, then let it air cool so it doesn't get brittle and break.  Use the eye bolt to adjust tension on the spring. 

Very good idea! :thumbs:

I just put one of Glen's springs on the ST326 snow blower that's mounted to my 857. Made a BIG difference!

It really does make a big difference. Glenn, I thank you, and so does my left arm! :ROTF:

Matt, just wanted to add that I think that tiller looks really nice on your c-160.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

Its great to hear from you Terry! How are you doing up there in cold country? I keep thinking that one of these winters your going to come down here, and help me mow grass. :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 2