bmsgaffer

All Season Tire Poll

All Season Tire  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Wich All-Season tire would you choose?

Uncle Buck

Since your concerns are confined to function only and do not relate to how the tires look on the machine I suspect that in reality it makes little difference which of the tires shown you pick. I imagine any one of them would likely do as well as the others. Likely you better forget about those Trac Chiefs though as they might be a bit tougher on the grass.

Sparky

I've posted these pics many times here on Redsquare, and these tires get my vote still after two years of use. They are the 10.5's mounted on the 8-1/2 wide rims so they sit flat. They dont rip up my lawn (unless you dump the clutch of course) and have been great these past two winters pushing snow with a 48" blade. I have a total of 75#'s of cast weights on each rim and keep the air pressure set low.

I know your not into the looks of the tire but as an added bonus I think these look awesome!

post-2-0-71512500-1390258895_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-90768700-1390258904_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-70497400-1390258918_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-61952900-1390258933_thumb.jpg

Mike............

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Yeah Mike...beefy.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Those get my vote too. 

56flatbed

I like the look of the K502's.  They look as if they would handle the pushing, pulling and climbing around the woods on our property really well.  My tractors get used for most everything except hanging a mower deck under them.  I have traction problems year round with the grades around here, especially in the snow.

can whlvr

si im surprised no one has suggested rubber tire chains,lots of guys here have them and say they work,then you can get a good tire for lawn duties,and put the rubber chains on in winter,i have turf masters om one of my 414,s,i like them but for plowing where I live without chains nothing works,too much snow with ice under,

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I've posted these pics many times here on Redsquare, and these tires get my vote still after two years of use. They are the 10.5's mounted on the 8-1/2 wide rims so they sit flat. They dont rip up my lawn (unless you dump the clutch of course) and have been great these past two winters pushing snow with a 48" blade. I have a total of 75#'s of cast weights on each rim and keep the air pressure set low.

I know your not into the looks of the tire but as an added bonus I think these look awesome!

Mike............

I think they look awesome too. I do LIKE the looks, but I am BUYING for function.  :teasing-signhere:  Those do look awesome. I am glad to know they are as functional as they look after years of experience. I think right now I am torn between the K502 Terra Tracs and the All Trails.

I like the look of the K502's.  They look as if they would handle the pushing, pulling and climbing around the woods on our property really well.  My tractors get used for most everything except hanging a mower deck under them.  I have traction problems year round with the grades around here, especially in the snow.

I think I would like to try them, if I do I will document and let you know. Yea, I like tractors being fully multi-purpose.

si im surprised no one has suggested rubber tire chains,lots of guys here have them and say they work,then you can get a good tire for lawn duties,and put the rubber chains on in winter,i have turf masters om one of my 414,s,i like them but for plowing where I live without chains nothing works,too much snow with ice under,

Do you have a link to those? I saw some before but they just look like bungee cords between two chains. I am open to all options, but I just don't see how those are any better than the 'all terrain' tire with the big lugs. I guess the point is that you can take them off?

Thanks for all the responses! This is very interesting!

wheel-mule

On my B-100 I use 23x8.50 x12  atv tires.I don't have a pic of them .I use 35lb. weights on the inside of the wheels and 150lb on the out side of the wheels.I have the D series blade on this tractor and it will push snow like crazy.

steve k

I would pick the all trails or turf tamer.    I think the all trails would edge out the turf tamers over time however.  The knobbys are great when new but they are not as stable under load as the bigger tread blocks of the all trails and will round off the edge of the blocks quicker.

the trac chief would be my last pick as they are heavy, stiff and have large tread blocks, all which will not lend itself to flexing and laying flat against the concrete you're plowing.  

The hardness of the rubber is important too.   Tires made for heavier equipment typically are harder to limit rapid wear but sacrifice traction.

tires made for light equipment will be softer as they will not wear so quickly.

Also taller tread blocks will flex more giving more bite.  Look how tall the blocks are on the all trac compared to the turf master.     

The actual "tread" is not as important for performance as tread block size, spacing, and height.

All this  considers the fact that you are NOT using chains!     I don't either !

Steve

Edited by steve k

roscoemi

I run turf masters front and rear, fluid filled on my C-121 with a blower and the same on the rear of the kids 'Ranger with a plow. Both have chains, move mountains of snow and have not tore up the drive or the yard, Except when the kid dumps the clutch in the yard in the spring to aggravate me! :angry-cussingwhite:

oaktown1987

All tracs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheesegrader

I think you are going about this backwards.  I bet you spend most of your time on grass, and realatively little of it on frozen concrete.

You might get the best tire for the concrete, and regret what it will do to the yard.

I agree with Don.

Turf Masters, with rubber chains in the winter. Without for summer.

For snow and ice, I think chains on a smooth tire are superior to Ags.  

They shed the compacted snow and ice better than any lug pattern tire.

(Don't look at my avitar.  My loader has filled Ags, and about #300 pounds of weight.  It never goes on the grass.

My snowthrower and plow go on the other tractor, with the turfmasters and chains.  It has the best traction, and can go anywhere.)

47JDG

I don't understand why so many here think that chains just eat up or destroy a concrete or asphalt driveway? I have both and coat my asphalt every few years. It always looks fine in the spring when the snow melts. Driving over it with your vehicle puts a lot more stress on it then driving over it with your light little wheel horse. I guess if you just constantly spun your chained wheels in one spot it could do some damage, but normal passes should be fine if you have good quality asphalt or concrete.

Edited by 47JDG
  • Like 3

56flatbed

Brandon, google "garden tractor rubber tire chains"  lots of options.  I have seen prices from 99.00 to 127.00.  I don't care for them because they ride so darn bumpy on concrete.

AMC RULES

Rubber tire chains are on Ebay too, they are not cheap though. 

Sarge

I run Carlisle Tru-Power on a four corners , filled with original OEM wheel weights and RV antifreeze to the hilt - never had a driveline issue yet . The hydro can still spin 'em a bit on ice but my rear chains are just about worn out . This 1277 is almost unstoppable even with the weight of the blower when it's off the ground , will easily drive through 16" of hard or soft snow without stopping . I am careful about slipping the rear tires and causing shockloads to the trans but it rarely ever tries to spin anyway .

BTW- run these tires year round with no issues of damage to the lawn when mowing - v-bars and grass damage is just a dumb myth . Now , get stupid with the extra weight traction and spin a wheel you'll have to shovel dirt in the resulting hole in the ground but that takes a lot to spin it in the first place .

Sarge

cleathumphrey
post-11870-0-68022800-1390336625_thumb.jpost-11870-0-67898400-1390336667_thumb.jI mow my side yard with a compact diesel tractor with a cab and fluid filled R4 tires pulling a 72" mower on the 3 point hitch. Tractor weighs around 6000lb and does not leave any marks on the grass unless you let the clutch out too fast and spin the tires.

Forest Road

Our WH tractors just aren't heavy enough to effectively push snow with anything less than maximum traction. I know 2 guys running rubber chains on WH tractors. They're both very happy with no damage to any driveways.

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/