bmsgaffer

All Season Tire Poll

All Season Tire  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Wich All-Season tire would you choose?

bmsgaffer

I know this is a popular topic, but I'm not just an Ag or Turf guy. I am most likely going to have to replace the whole lot of dry rotted tires on my working Blackhood. The traction from the stock tires for my relatively hilly yard leaves some to be desired.

EDIT: CHAINS ARE OUT OF THE QUESTION. Thus the selection of high grip tires. I plow concrete driveways that I cant tear up or scratch.

Let me know what you would choose and why. All of these are available in a size to fit the rears, some may need wider rim as noted. Other options always on the table. Will 25's fit on our tractors? Several more options are available if 25's fit.

Heres what it is down to:

All Trails (available in 23 x 8 and 23 x 10.5):
8999.jpg?notFound=unavailable.jpg

------------------

Turf Tamer 23 x 10.5 x 12 (will need new rims for this):
turf-tamer.pm.png

---------------------------------

Turf Master (all sizes, slightly more aggressive than stock, dad has them on his deere):
turf-master.pm.png

------------------------

K502 (23 x 10.5 x 12):
terra_trac_Thumbnail.jpg
------------------
Trac Chief (23 x 8.5 x 12, 6 ply.  little on the heavy duty side, but less aggressive ag type):
trac-chief.pm.png

Other? Show me pics of your tires!

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

neil

I like the look of all of them, but the one i would use would be the Trac cheif

bmsgaffer

I like the look of all of them, but the one i would use would be the Trac cheif

Thanks for the feedback. Is that because they are most like Ags?

Sorry, I edited the poll because I forgot one and I think it moved your vote to the 502's.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I voted for the all trail, would like them on my 416, would probably need the bigger rear rims from a 520. 

Let that 10.50 spread out look beefier.

Glenn

rmaynard

I use Turf Savers on my workers. When I need additional traction I add chains.

bmsgaffer

I use Turf Savers on my workers. When I need additional traction I add chains.

Those are decent tires. However, chains are out of the question. I plow my relatively steep, poured concrete driveway as well as several steep neighbors driveways (all concrete). Chains just eat up these driveways especially when its hilly and you can't avoid slipping a little. I have to keep this driveway in perfect shape till I sell this place. :)

AMC RULES

bmsgaffer

Also a good idea that I may do. I am using wheel weights so I don't think weight is the problem (and actually, the owners manual specifically recommends that you don't fill the tires) but there's just not enough grip with the tread. I am pretty sure the original 33 year old tires have lost their good rubber tire characteristics anyway.

AMC RULES

Really, the tractor's manual states this?   :scratchead:

HorseWhisperer

Firestone makes a 6-12 turf tire and I had an old set I let go of.There ain't many 6-12 tires out there other than ags so I'm gonna fly with these again!

post-6115-0-12829100-1390231797.png

Edited by HorseWhisperer
  • Like 3

dandan111

Have you plowed without chains before? I don't think you will like it. Those knobby tires won't push snow unless your plowing unpaved.

HorseWhisperer

Trouble with all season tires is there is no such thing.There is three season and where I live there is Ag tires in the fourth season.I never use chains.I use loaded 8.50 ags and weight.No all season tires would ever do pushing snow after you have had ags on.

Edited by HorseWhisperer

Uncle Buck

Being honest I was not very keen on anything shown. Of what you showed though the Trac Chief was the least offensive to my eye. Personally, I always like the looks of older vintage or more period correct looking tires for my old tractors. When I do buy new tires for a machine (have not so far) I will stick with tires that look like they came on machines sold and used during the 1960's or earlier.

Firestone makes a 6-12 turf tire and I had an old set I let go of.There ain't many 6-12 tires out there other than ags so I'm gonna fly with these again!

That is a good looking tire to my eye.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Really, the tractor's manual states this?   :scratchead:

Page 13 of the manual on my C series in all capital letters:

screenshot.jpg

Have you plowed without chains before? I don't think you will like it. Those knobby tires won't push snow unless your plowing unpaved.

I have only plowed WITH chains for one season in the last 14 years. That C-105 had Ags, and if there wasnt a solid sheet of ice under it it did just fine. I was afraid ags would be too aggressive for my backyard when it came to mowing. They would leave trenches when it was damp. I don't like chains because the tear up tires and driveways. The one I am referring to now just has the turf savers and there is NO traction with them on snow.

Being honest I was not very keen on anything shown. Of what you showed though the Trac Chief was the least offensive to my eye. Personally, I always like the looks of older vintage or more period correct looking tires for my old tractors. When I do buy new tires for a machine (have not so far) I will stick with tires that look like they came on machines sold and used during the 1960's or earlier.

That is a good looking tire to my eye.

My goal is not to be pleasing to any one's eye. Those super skinny tires dont look real great on the C series tractors. They are much more fitted with a wider tire since they are only 23" tall. This is going to be a work horse C-165. I am looking for pure function. I realize that there is no perfect all season, but I guess I am looking to see what people had experience with to be more favorable in each condition.

Im not hooking up a cultivator or harrow, just snow plow and mowing and yard cart.

AMC RULES

:thanks: Brandon...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

is that an eight speed manual you're showing us there? 

dandan111

I would go as skinny as you can without looking stupid.

bmsgaffer

:thanks: Brandon...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

is that an eight speed manual you're showing us there? 

Your welcome! It is actually the manual for '81 B,C and D series Auto and manual. That particular section was applying to all.

dandan: I appreciate the responses, but you are missing my main point. Chains are destructive, therefore I CAN NOT use them :deadhorse:. I have been plowing snow for 13 years without chains (and 1 with) and she has handled everything I have thrown at her. Chains are only really needed for ice (or mud if you have turf tires).

Good tread and a good plow edge will get you through snow. In most cases momentum, appropriate speed, and good driving can get you anywhere you need to go without the chains. I have already plowed my steep driveway three times this year even with the bad old tires and been fine. Just takes some extra effort (and sometimes LOTS of wheelspin) but I got through it. :auto-layrubber:

I'm just looking to improve upon something I can already do without chains. (And maybe a side benefite will be to not have to keep reinflating the tires as air leaks through the sidewall dry rot.)

I do agree that skinnier is better for snow duties, but much worse for lawn duties. The weight is better spread out to not hurt the lawn.

Keep in mind we are not in a snow belt, our biggest snowfalls are like 12". We do get ice storms, but in that case all we can do is salt and pray.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

The statement wheel horse makes about loading tires is kinda contradictory to selling add on factory wheel weights?Both add weight to axles only verse body on bearing weight but they add mass over all the same.The solution is simple like I have found=many horses,many tasks,many different tires!It's just an excuse to have one of each tractor.This poll however I know has a different purpose and it will be interesting to find the most preferred purposed wheel sneaker!

HorseWhisperer

Chains are avoidable for sure.You never see professional lawn care people or golf course maintance with them.There is an alternative for sure and your onto it!The best tire!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Interesting...maybe everyone should recheck their specific model manual before just assuming it's OK to fluid fill tires.  Learn something everyday...who knew?   :confusion-shrug:

From my '88 520-H manual...

post-3498-0-82923100-1390239889_thumb.jp

• Like 2

bewford

I have fluid filled rears on my D and haven't had a bit of problems so far, I would think that this would be just like most anything else it's all in how you use it. Dumping the clutch, or forward/reverse rapidly in a hydro you bound to have a problem eventually with or without fluid filled tires. Abuse it and something will likely be damaged or break.

bmsgaffer

I wonder if they changed the metals in the gears, casing, axles at some point or something? The C-xx5 series used the same transaxles (both 8 speed and Eaton 11) as the 520 as far as I know, correct?

They were most likely just covering their butts. As far as wheel weights vs fluid fill, the wheel weights are actually better for the transmission. Getting the weight closer to the center of the axis is way better for torque on the gears an axles. (Pick up a brick in each hand and try to spin around with them at arms length, then try to spin around with them tucked up to your body)

This is becoming a very informative topic!

bmsgaffer

The turf master and trac chief are popular right now, both with 4 votes. (The one vote for the 502 was actually for the trac chief then I forgot I hadnt added one and changed the order)

I was actually leaning more towards the 502 before this topic, because it looks like it can clear voids well, will ride smoothly, and has enough 'siping' for ice and snow traction. Maybe it looks just a little too out there? :happy-bouncymulticolor:

I am afraid of the trac chief because it is 6 ply made for skid steers. The ride on these things is rough enough, that may start tossing me out. It just looks like a way smoother ride than the standard selection of ag tires. :violence-impact:

smoreau

I was actually leaning more towards the 502 before this topic, because it looks like it can clear voids well, will ride smoothly, and has enough 'siping' for ice and snow traction. Maybe it looks just a little too out there? :happy-bouncymulticolor:

I would have to agree with you on this tire and your needs.