illinilefttackle

TASTE FOR ROCK & RYE

illinilefttackle

Hey Steve- Your mention of Rock & Rye stirred a ancestral craving in me-so to speak-one of my ancestors had an unusual occupation-Al

Photo26547.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Al...way back then Rye Whiskey was very popular and probably what you got if you ordered a shot.  There is quite the history of Rye Whiskey if you google it.  It seems to be making a come back in the last few years...wonder why??  Canadian whiskey (if I remember) is at least 50% Rye today.  So...have you had the pleasure of visiting this tavern??  :)

illinilefttackle

Nope, haven't had the pleasure-yet. Pretty far for a drink. But, may jump in the RV this summer and visit-if I can get my head on straight-Al

• Like 1

illinilefttackle

Al...way back then Rye Whiskey was very popular and probably what you got if you ordered a shot.  There is quite the history of Rye Whiskey if you google it.  It seems to be making a come back in the last few years...wonder why??  Canadian whiskey (if I remember) is at least 50% Rye today.  So...have you had the pleasure of visiting this tavern??  :)

Steve- I did a little "Googling" as you recommended-Look what I found-Pay attention to the 3rd paragraph-Seems Whiskey was a really big deal back then-Al

http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/rev_war/whiskey.htm

• Like 3

kaiser

^ that is good vodka.

i love rye, it's second to bourbon for me. (very close) in fact most of the bourbons i love are "high rye", meaning after corn rye is the next ingredient.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Great reading Al..thanks.  The area they are talking about in the end of that article, is where the Big Wheel Horse  Show is located.  :)

• Like 1

chazm

Actually Steve it was a bit south of the Big Show, I find it cool that George Washington brought his :wh: to the area :handgestures-thumbupright:

I wonder if he had a hand in starting the Big Show ???   :scratchead:

Edited by chazm
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Who knew...the power of whiskey? 

Awesome read Al...thanks for sharing.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

stevasaurus

Right you are Chas, but I have driven on those roads getting to and from the show.  Looking at it from Chicago, it is in the same neighborhood...very cool...and you can feel the history when you drive through the hills there.  It still gets me that most of the old houses are "maybe" 10' off the edge of the road.  God, a snow plow around here would throw snow and ice through the living room windows.  Unreal... :)

Want a death ride...ride with someone from that area (like MikesRJ) that knows the roads.  I still have dirt on my lips from kissing the ground after that trip from the show to Dave's Tractor World one afternoon.  :)  Don't get me wrong...it was a good time and I would do it again.  Buckrancher was riding with us.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

squonk

I've always marveled at how close the houses are to the roads around Arendtsville. Last year leaving the campfire with the full moon we went back to Gettysburg on the back/back roads. I remember how twisty and wiindy those roads were and how erie it was driving through the battle field.

• Like 1