rmaynard

857 Refresh/Rebuild Begins

Wishin4a416

Looks good Bob. What paint did you use?

rmaynard

Looks good Bob. What paint did you use?

Jack, I used something that I thought I would never use. TSC was having a sale on their Majic Red Oxide primer, so I bought a can. Then on a whim, I bought two rattle cans of Majic IH Red paint. That is what I used. It's been sitting now for 8 hours and the darned stuff is still tacky.

Also, I haven't checked to see how the color matches up with the old Valspar Restoration Series IH Red, but I will.  I painted the external governor parts with that back when I disassembled it, and as soon as I find them, I will do a color comparison.

Okay, I found the parts that were painted with VRS IH Red. To my eye there is no comparison.

post-2221-0-07406600-1394495077_thumb.jp

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

Wishin4a416

I see what you mean Bob. The one is a lot deeper color.

rmaynard

30 hours after painting, and there are still areas that are not dry yet. Granted, the temperature only got to a high of 62 today, but even at that, this Majic paint is everything I had heard about it. :handgestures-thumbdown:  As soon as my wife goes to work tomorrow, this baby is going into the oven.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Don't forget to open the windows before she gets home! So far, I've gotten away with doing that.

HorseFixer

30 hours after painting, and there are still areas that are not dry yet. Granted, the temperature only got to a high of 62 today, but even at that, this Majic paint is everything I had heard about it. :handgestures-thumbdown:  As soon as my wife goes to work tomorrow, this baby is going into the oven.

Hang in there Pal :handgestures-thumbupright:  Lookin good.

pacer

TSC sure screwed up when they quit the Valspar (I really liked that paint) and went with that non-drying majic crap they now have. Almost as soon as they changed over to the majic I started seeing complaints about it so I just bought a rattle can of it and tried it on a couple small pieces -- well, just like you it took 3-4 days just to get tacky and to handle was 10 or more days!! I use Rustoleum now and Ive come to like it pretty well.

rmaynard

TSC sure screwed up when they quit the Valspar...

Not TSC's fault. Valspar was forced by the EPA to make changes to the Restoration Series to lower the VOC. They instead decided that they would stop making it rather than reformulate it.  So TSC was forced to find another vendor. Unfortunately, Majic was a poor choice to replace the VRS paint.

• Like 2

VinsRJ

I agree... I have had nothing but issue with that Majic paints... I even say in one of my vids not to eve use that ^*^*&^^% stuff!

• Like 1

rmaynard

My thinking was "what could go wrong with painting a block?" Now I know. Definitely not going to paint the tins or anything else with it.

chris11

So are you going to restore it now?

Ken B

I tried the Majic paint a few months ago on a small project and yep, its junk. Its the WORST paint that I've ever used. Ya gotta think that TSC has seen a huge decline in paint sales because of this stuff.  Rustoleum makes Farm and Implement paint, it should be on their shelves instead....I still have a full gallon of VRS paint, I'm just waiting for the right tractor to come along...

Knowing you Bob I'm surprised you haven't stripped that stuff off already!!!

Edited by Ken B

rmaynard

So are you going to restore it now?

Depends on the weather and other factors. But the best answer is probably, but not to the show quality of my other queens. I plan to use this one.

rmaynard

Knowing you Bob I'm surprised you haven't stripped that stuff off already!!!

I will be doing that later this weekend. :handgestures-thumbdown:

chris11

You can go to a auto paint supply . Now the can put auto paint in spray cans. I have used a small jam gun , and had very good luck with a paint called Nason, owned by DuPont. This is the finish

post-2065-0-50872200-1394797933.jpg

chris11

Your welcome, anything I can do to help.

boovuc

Sound like that paint would be great in making your own fly-paper strips.

Buy the brown Majic paint, (to simulate, well, you know), then spray it on strips of foil and dangle it from the ceilings of our workshops and garages.

Ok. It's just a thought but at least it gives some purpose to buying it again. I wonder how many strips a can could do. Lets see.........one can could make more than 60 strips coated on both sides and each strip lasts 4 to 5 days or less when the weather is warmer.  Mmmmmmmmmmm!  :scratchead:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Sound like that paint would be great in making your own fly-paper strips.

:hilarious: Sorry that one hit the funny bone! :)

rmaynard

Update. I finally got back to the 857 this weekend. I have stripped the Majic paint off of the engine and it is ready for some real paint. I purchased some Van Sickle IH red, but I don't like the color, or the fact that it is an alkyd enamel. I thought I was getting acrylic enamel, but I failed to be specific when ordering, so my bad. If you are interested, it is in the classified section and on eBay.

Anyway, today I power washed the frame and then decided to replace all the seals in the transmission. There was an extreme amount of oil and dirt and grass caked to the bottom of the tranny, and only about a quart of oil drained out, so I figured there must be a leaky seal. So, I got out the hub puller and started to remove the left hub which I suspected had the bad seal. Now usually the hub that has a bad seal behind it come off fairly easily, but nooooo. This one fought me until it broke. So, now with 1/3 of the hub broken off, the puller became worthless. It took 2 hours or sawzall and chisel work to bust the rest of this little baby off.

post-2221-0-53550600-1397957191_thumb.jp

The right side was also tough, but came off in one piece.

No leaky seal found, and now I need a good 4996 hub. Monday I will remove the brake drum and input pulley.

Back to the paint situation. Since this one is going to be my "toy" and not a show queen, I have finally decided to paint it with PPG Shop-Line acrylic enamel. This paint has much better coverage than the urethane, and at only $33.00/qt. it's a lot more economical. Picking it up on Monday, and if the weather stays nice for a while, I might even get the frame, transmission and engine painted this week.

More to follow. Should have some pictures in the next update.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

You do nice work Bob...    :scared-eek: 

only two hours to make that awesome  :wh: puzzle. 

Great 50/50 prize for the big show.  :ychain:

Edited by AMC RULES

Fun Engineer

I like the PPG Shop-Line also. It's a lot less expensive than their regular line. Looking forward to pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

rmaynard

I like the PPG Shop-Line also. It's a lot less expensive than their regular line...

You are right about the price. I checked two shops for the cost of a single quart of Nason and it was $77.00. That did not include the activator/hardener.

I'm not real happy with the Shop-Line urethane that I used the last time. Seems to be quite thin with fewer solids. It took in some cases 4 coats to completely cover, then, if you weren't real careful, it ran and sagged. Also had some problems with solvent pop.

Not saying that the acrylic enamel is better, but I have been assured that it has more solids and I will be able to cover with fewer coats. So for two quarts of PPG for the price of one Nason, I'm going to give it a try.

squonk

Bob, I have one of those hubs if you need it.

diggerjames

Loving the thread mate keep it up from James across the pond

rmaynard

Yesterday was a good day. Went to the shed to look for a hitch pin and found a hub instead. I had a 5 gallon bucket of parts that I had stripped from a '74 B-80 two or three years ago, and in the bottom was a nice 1" hub.

Also, went to my PPG jobber and picked up a couple of quarts of paint. If the weather holds out, the engine will get painted this weekend. post-2221-0-26644500-1398340127.jpg

• Like 1