JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

854...STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL....STUCK

sorekiwi

If you flip that bearing separator up the other way you will have the flat surface of it pressing on the bottom of the wheel.  The way you have it now the separator is pulling on the plastic at the edges of the wheel hub.

• Like 1

shorts

Be careful about using the pointed end of the puller screw on the end of the steering shaft, it can/will mushroom the end of the shaft making removal more difficult. If the shaft doesn't have a centerdrilled taper in the end of it and even if it does it's usually better to find a nut to set on the end of the shaft and then put the point of the puller in the nut, if you trash a nut it's only a few cents for another one

specialwheelhorse

Got a good hacksaw, then drill the stub out off center and increase the size of drill until you barely

touch the edge of the bore then knock it out with almost anything, spring for a new piece of cold finish steel

and walla you will have a new steering shaft,I know I've left out a lot of details but just use the savy

you have as a wheel horse owner and do it the easy way. Done this more than once after beating my head

against the wall !!!!!!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

SUCCESS!!!!

5 inch bearing separator with a sacrificial socket down below. Muscle power.post-12073-0-24574100-1389905107_thumb.jpost-12073-0-17428000-1389905159_thumb.jpost-12073-0-05640100-1389905188_thumb.j

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE...great ideas and great people.

Glenn

AMC RULES

Congratulations.      :woohoo: 

Any indicator of what the big hold up was?  

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Congratulations.      :woohoo: 

Any indicator of what the big hold up was?  

Rust and old age, it fought till the end.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

btw, worth a mention. The center of the steering wheel plastic, where the wheel horse logo cap goes, a bit out of round. Also a small crack underside, do you fellas think I should send steering wheel out to be restored or find another stock wheel or replacement wheel? I am still so new to wheel horse, dont know which way to jump. Thanks fellas, ideas to help me learn are allways wellcome.

Glenn

woodchuckfarmer

I would check out ebay

TT

If the wheel is nice other than those issues, it might be the best you'll find ~ unless you break out the gold card. :blink:

An oval center hole is typical and is caused by years of using the wheel as an assist handle for mounting/dismounting.

If you feel adventurous, heat the wheel in HOT water and support it securely under the rim / outer ends of the spokes while using a press to push downward on the center hub. Go a little at a time until the center hole is round again.

How bad / large is the crack?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Crack pics.

Glennpost-12073-0-74890800-1389915074_thumb.jpost-12073-0-08095900-1389915118_thumb.j

Cracked pics.

Glennpost-12073-0-74890800-1389915074_thumb.jpost-12073-0-08095900-1389915118_thumb.j

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

TT

A few members have made detailed posts on steering wheel repair using two-part epoxy.

Enter "steering wheel repair" in the search box for some informative results. :handgestures-thumbup: