JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

854...STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL....STUCK

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Gents. I started to tear down the 864 for restoration. Everything was breaking down fine till trying to get the steering wheel off. I am assuming it's down on a splined shaft. Can't get it to budge. Any ideas from those that have done this. Trying NOT TO ruin the wheel. Thanks a million.

Glenn

post-12073-0-77211100-1389663304_thumb.jpost-12073-0-74521500-1389663373_thumb.jpost-12073-0-88722300-1389663433_thumb.j

rmaynard

I don't think it is a splined shaft, but the wheel is secured to the shaft with a roll pin. Have you removed that?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I don't think it is a splined shaft, but the wheel is secured to the shaft with a roll pin. Have you removed that?

Suprisingly, there is no pin up top.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I am soaking the top and shaft with pb blaster. In a while I will get a punch and tap the top. Try to shock it. Maybe a ton of crude has it glued on, not sure, being delicate. not using any heat yet. thanks Bob.

Glenn

MOD OR ADMIN:  made a mistake in title,,,its my 1964,,854.  typo,,please change. ty

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

AMC RULES

I think you'll quickly regret using heat Glenn. 

rmaynard

Suprisingly, there is no pin up top.

Glenn

The pin goes through the bottom of the steering wheel.

post-2221-0-95500500-1389666275_thumb.pn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

This is a picture. Looking through the shaft and hole where there is no pin. Holding a small flashlight on the other side.

Glennpost-12073-0-40000900-1389667064_thumb.j

Also. You can see the wheel is offset bout mid point of where pin would go.

Glenn

AMC RULES

Wonder...will the steering gear and collar come off the bottom of the shaft...

so you can pull the whole shaft and wheel assembly out of the tank as one unit? 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

There is a collar near top of shaft.

Glenn

rmaynard

Looks like the pin has already been removed. Now you need to get a good puller, hook it under that bottom steel portion of the steering wheel, and pull it off. Keep loading it up with PB Blaster. Punching the top of the shaft will only spread it out making it harder to remove. Worst case scenario, cut the shaft off below the wheel, then put the wheel on an open vise and punch the remaining part of the shaft out. A replacement steering shaft should not be hard to find.

TT

Remove the bolts holding the gas tank to the hoodstand and remove the assembly from the tractor.

Clean all paint, rust, etc. off the shaft from the lock collar down to the end, loosen the set screw in the collar, and slide it to the gear at the bottom of the shaft.

Slide the tank down as far as it will go and clamp the upper (unseen) part of the shaft in a vise. Twist (rotate) the wheel - using a bar wrapped with a rag, a piece of 2X4, etc. inserted through the spokes / rim for leverage. Once it starts moving, you should be able to pull/twist it off of the shaft.

If you have no vise -  or that doesn't work.......

Drive the pin out of the bottom gear and carefully tap the gear off the steering shaft. Use a little heat if necessary. Remove the lock collar and pull the steering wheel and shaft up out of the gas tank.

I have a 3/4" hole in the top of a steel table that I slide the steering shaft down through until the underside of the wheel is against the table. Anything similar that will support the steering wheel should be fine.

I use a big drift and a 3lb hammer to drive the shaft down out of the wheel on the easy ones. If that doesn't work, they go visit the hydraulic press at the shop where I work.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Terry, I am going to give your idea a whirl. I tried 3 sized wheel pullers. no go.  Fankly if you fellas saw the size of the bearing splitter my brother and I put okn that steering wheel shaft tonight you would laugh. I am telling you this thing is huge. Just dont have the H clip big enough for it.  I also am worried about breaking that darn 50 year old steering wheel. Frankly was looking into buying a new bearing seperator kit. They can be used for stuff like this. Thanks for the idea, will keep you posted.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

MalMac

I am starting to think other than Valve problems with Onans, Steering wheel removal has got to be two of the most problematic topics posted on RS. Maybe they should have a whole category all to their own.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I am starting to think other than Valve problems with Onans, Steering wheel removal has got to be two of the most problematic topics posted on RS. Maybe they should have a whole category all to their own.

I did not know that. Very interesting, you might be on to something. Now I have to do a search. Thanks.

Glenn

Coadster32

I did not know that. Very interesting, you might be on to something. Now I have to do a search. Thanks.

Glenn

Let's not forget frozen wheel hubs, and rusted in hitch pins. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

MalMac

Coadster32, yeah your right they should be added to.

AMC RULES

...and which red to use too, that's a big problem.  :)  

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Let's see.

Glennpost-12073-0-05656900-1389815829_thumb.j

• Like 1

rmaynard

Yup, that'll do the trick.

AMC RULES

...or destroy it.   :scared-eek:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

That is under the metal sleeve of the steering wheel. Can't get it to pop. Taking a breather. Can't figure what's holding it. Back to the drawing board. It's a real stinker.

Glenn

TT

I keep a stick of 3/4" round in the shop for occasions like this.

You still have to press or drill the piece out of the wheel hub, but one saw cut and two roll pin holes later you'd have a new steering shaft. :handgestures-thumbup:

posifour11

Sometimes violence is the answer.

AMC RULES

Get the steering shaft in a vise, then turn the wheel. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

That looks like a Defense Department issue steering wheel/hub remover Glenn!   If that did not work you need to buy some PB Blaster in a gallon jug!