squonk

Marvin's dilema

Desko

desko  I was just thinking if a valve was sticking open=no compression.

It possible to seize up when it gets hot but that could be a bad valve guide or a lack of oil would make it seize up but you never know.

WH nut

Did you put on a new condenser, or just a different one.

stevasaurus

I hear movie stars can be very temperamental. :)  I am liking what JimD said.

tkol1969

Ive had two different times where the voltmeter or ammeter where shorting out or had bad terminals in the back and the tractor would do the exact same thing. gets power through the ammeter feed. just a thought???? we bypassed voltmeter to check and it ran like a champ. comes and goes so hard to detect?

• Like 1

Martin

Mike, i think electrical is where your problem is at. Like Jim said check that wire and also the ignition components are grounded properly. also check for an intermittent loss of power anywhere from the battery all the way to the coil. wiring, wiggle the fuse if it has one, check ammeter or voltmeter, check the ignition switch, hook a volt meter or test light to the coil and position it where you can see it and move things around while watching. i had 2 bad ignition switches just recently on the 416s i picked up. would transfer voltage fine, but move the key slightly one way or another or wiggle the back and they would loose contact inside......

• Like 2

WH nut

Im with martin. Run a jumper from battery + to +side of coil and see what she does.

Wheel-N-It

:hilarious:

I also had the very same problem with the 310-8 I bought from Jay. Of course when I bought the tractor there was no engine in it so...

Did you try making a warranty claim anyway.  :confusion-shrug:

Naw, I gotta take care of Jay. He's my Big Show Hooklup :notworthy:

• Like 1

squonk

I had a 12v test light on the coil when it was running and then quit. Voltage did not drop out.Checked the fuel pump output and it was good.  Hope to work on it this afternoon. Water heater comes first. Just got that running. Need to play with the set point some more. I'm going to use Elvis to drag out the old heater in the spring. Maybe I'll have room for more  :wh: stuff after that! :ychain:  :ychain: Points are white colored and the gap seems to be under .015" does anyone think they may be the culprit?

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

JackC

My 8hp Kohler on my C-81 will not run unless the points are right on.  My KT17s will not run unless the points are dry and the faces of the points are clean.  On several no start occasions I had to run an ignition file or emery cloth over the points and then varhoom.  Points gap should be .020 but try some emery paper on the faces.  Maybe they got damp from blowing snow.

Martin

i would open the points up. i think 'just under' .015 is too tight. right now the spark is too retarded. if you get it closer to .020 the spark should be closer to the right amount of advance. of course this is assuming that the points rod length/ cam points lobe wear/ points themselves are all in the ball park. best way is to time it using a light or dvm. theres quite a few threads on here of how to do that. 

as far as .020 goes, thats the baseline spec. but some of mine run better under a few thou, some run better over. timing correct is more important.......

not saying that is the cure to your problems but its something that maybe needs looking at......

squonk

Well it's definitely  ignition. I connected a inductive timing light to it and started it up. After 30 sec or so it started to quit and the timing light stopped flashing. I'm going to connect the coil directly to the battery and if that doesn't solve it, a new set of points.

Martin

i would be looking at coil and condenser. your points will either work or not. if they are sparking good then they should be ok.

do you have a nice spark at the points when ignition is firing? 

the coil and condenser that were replacements, are you sure they are good runners?

squonk

Progress. Ran a jumper to the coil from the battery and ran it for about 3 min. Ran fine outside of a little carb adjustment. Pulled the jumper and it started acting up in about 10 seconds. Started following the wire back and found this. The looped black wire out of the switch is 12 v to the PTO switch and has cracks in it. There it's a double terminal and continues on to the coil. I'm going to run a new wire in the next few days and if it continues, replace the switch.

post-2380-0-32027100-1389558345_thumb.jp

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

Cool...sounds like Marvin Bondo is back in action...can't wait for the new video...:)

JimD

As they say in Norway...

wtf-question-mark-sign-smiley-emoticon.g

:ychain:

• Like 1

squonk

As they say in Norway...

wtf-question-mark-sign-smiley-emoticon.gWicked Tomalie Fa_ts?

:ychain:

buckrancher

change the points Mike

Wheel-N-It

Mike you still need to open those points up to about .020

Try .018 first as opening up the gap will advance the timing. 

Use emory cloth, don't file them. If they look like they need to be filed then they need to be replaced.

squonk

I will change the points after I replace this wire. If I do both at the same time, I won't know what actually fixed it.

• Like 1

new2horses

The coil is the problem. I know it has been replaced, sorry but its still bad and is causing all the problems, running the wire direct proved my assertion, loose or bad wires and switches have been compounding the issue still its the coil.

Regards to all, David

squonk

Marvin's problem has been found! I replaced the wire from the switch to the coil. Problem was still there. Next I replaced the switch with a new one. I originally got the switch for my C-160 as it is worn and the key falls out. Haven't gotten to it yet. Anyway Problem is still there. Next I replaced the points as the gap is too narrow and the contacts are oxidized. Problem is still there. So now I put my voltmeter on the coil and battery positive and I'm dropping 2 volts with the key on. Start it and now I'm dropping 4 volts with it running good and 6 volts when it starts to misfire. Now I trace the wire from the solenoid to the ammeter. I unwind the crappy tape and find even worse tape. Unwrap and find this. Some Gibronie decided to put an inline fuse in there and did a lousy job. I cut it out and twisted the wires together to try it and VROOM!!!!!!!!! :)

Funny thing I was planning on going thru the wiring in the spring!  :rolleyes:

post-2380-0-82524000-1389654168_thumb.jp

• Like 1

dclarke

Glad you found it, Mike. Sometimes wiring can be a nightmare.

AMC RULES

Persistence pays...good job Mike.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

stevasaurus

I think wires with tape on them would be the first place to look...just my 2 cents.  Glad you found it Mike.  Try sitting those new points at .018.  :)

Cheese Head  :ychain:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

Wheel-N-It

"Gibronie"!!! Magnificent!!! Now I have a new word to add to my vocabulary :handgestures-thumbupright: Another one of the benefits of being a :rs: Supporter   ;)

:text-thankyouyellow:  Mike!

Also, glad Marvin is healed .

• Like 1