JimD

Bolens 1050

JimD

I was talking to my nephew at the family Christmas party last month and he told me he still had an old Bolens and hadn't done anything with all these years later, and I could have it as a retirement project if I wanted it. I went to look at it yesterday and decided I would take it. The back story is that his Dad brought it home from Pennsylvania several years ago and Mike was going to fix it up. The trans in it was not working. Mike opened it up, took one look and went looking for help with it. These trannies are a whole different animal than Wheel Horse trannies. They found a donor trans and found a guy to fix it. He swapped out the needed pats from the donor to the original and it was back in business, till he found that it wouldn't move in neutral. So there it sits to this day in his garage, and he is no longer interested in it.  I found and downloaded the manuals for it and started reading. I narrowed it down to 1967, 68, or 69 by what I could read of the ID tag. If anyone knows how to bring back the serial number on a decal so it can be read please let me know. I think I have solved the problem of it not moving in neutral. This trans has a variable tension differential and a pin lock release to allow the tractor to be moved by hand in neutral. I'll let Mike know this so he knows it probably doesn't need any more repair work on it. As it stands, I'll have some work to do to put it all back together and get in running. He said it ran before so the Wisconsin should be ok. It also has a deck and a snowblower that goes with it which he said are in good shape. Those are still at his Dad's house and will come with it.  If all goes well I plan to pick this up when the weather warms up this spring. I took a few pics as best I could, and yes those wheel weights come behind it come with it too, among other things he said. So they aren't the greatest. but here they are....

SAM_0303.jpg

SAM_0305.jpg

SAM_0304.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Neat lookin' tractor... :handgestures-thumbsup:

one just like it on ebay now.

Good luck with the project Jim. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Nice freebee Jim. Looks like it wont tack much to get it running.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Looks like a fun little project for all your spare time Jim!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Nice looking Bolens. I see them for sale here from time to time. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Lars

nice tube frame tractor you got Jim.. those are neat tractor's.

Stepney

A very good tractor indeed, but you must never drive it on solid surfaces with the Diff locked, you have to keep an eye on the rear axle adjustments, too. It should all be in the book.. I've seen plenty of them messed up due to nobody checking the axle play.. they are a great machine though! I have three Tube frames. Some of my favorites.

Spenser.