eightlitermopar

Need help...Suburban axle seal questions

eightlitermopar

Hello again! I don’t know if I am posting this in the right place, but here it goes…

I currently have what I believe to be 1961 Suburban 551. I finally am getting around to working on it and getting it running.

Now that it is actually moving under its own power (with a HF 6.5 hp motor for now, just for fun) I have noticed the axle seals are leaking.

I took the wheels and hubs off, and from what I can see, there is no seal in place? How is this possible?

So here are my questions:

1) I don’t even know what these seals should look like. Does anyone have a photo of what exactly the axle seal should look like?

2) Replacement parts: From the research I have done, I know it is supposed to be Toro # 83-2840 or CR9835 for the axle seals.

However, when I put these part numbers into the Toro website, it gets no results.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction or give any advice on how to seal these axles properly?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Eightlitermopar in Utah J

post-7047-0-18290100-1386039395.jpg

eightlitermopar

Here are what the axles look like with the hub removed. It looks like the one side has had a leaking problem for a while....

post-7047-0-86466300-1386039752_thumb.jp

post-7047-0-36156800-1386039772_thumb.jp

Lane Ranger

Chicago Rawhide SKF website will have a cross reference for the Wheel Horse/Toro seal number.   Just place Chicago rawhide in the Red Square search box.   The seals should come out with a pick or use a Phillips head screw to work into the seal and pull it out.     I use a  big washer that will fit around the axle and a PVC pipe with a rubber mallet to install the new seals.   The new seal should be oiled up before installing.   When you install you want to just tap the PVC pipe with the rubber mallet when the face of pipe is flat against the washer holding the seal next to the gap in the transmission housing .  One tap should do it and you should hear a sound that lets you know the seal was sucked into the housing tight.

Chicago Rawhide/SKF Website: 

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457012.htm

Handy tool for cross referencing wheel horse part numbers for seals with skf (chicago/rawhide) seal numbers. Just enter the Wheel Horse seal number in the field and it will come up with the SKF equivalent.

Thank Martin Howard for posting on Red Square

Here are some photos to give you some ideas on your seal issue:

Steel washer around the axle that will cover the face of the seal with a flat surface when installing:

PVC pipe around axle and facing washer:

Homemade Hub puller using another old Hub to slowly remove the tractor's HUB  without damaging HUB or axle key:

Edited by Lane Ranger

eightlitermopar

Thanks for the pictures lane ranger!

The reason I am confused is because I don't think my axles have seals! I was looking but could not find anything.

Perhaps this is why it is leaking? :roll: 

The hubs came off fairly easily, the one side needed some tapping with a hammer...

I see that some sites like mowparts.com still have seals under the number 83-2840, would this be correct for my axles based on my photos? Those little jokers are 20 bucks each, so I want to get it right!

Thanks again!

eightlitermopar

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It looks like (in picture # 3) that you have the cast iron 2 piece transmission WH # 5007.  If that is correct, then you need  the SKF # 9815 seals.  The ones I bought last year were $2.77 each at Motion Industries...NAPA should carry these also. :)  The WH # 1232 crosses to SKF # 9815 and in this picture, there are 3 of them on the bottom right in the 2nd picture...!st picture is of what I think you have ( 5007 trans)

2011_12025007BRRLY0016.jpg

702transmission017.jpg

The 83-2840 seals are for the 3 piece transmissions (center casting with 2 steel side plates).  This is a cap seal and that price is correct...you can only get them from TORO.  I can't believe I do not have a good picture of the cap seal, but you can kind of see it on the axle housing on the left side of this picture of a 3 piece transmission.  The seal actually sits on the out side of the axle housing and the cap is about 1/4"...

2010_10075003transmission0005.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

eightlitermopar

Thanks for the pictures! I definately have the # 5007 transmission with the 1 inch diameter shaft.

I looked online at napa (whose website is being very slow for me this morning for some reason), and it appears that part number 9815 has a couple of applications.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Manual-Steering-Pitman-Arm-Shaft-Seal/_/R-NOS9815_0297818337

I also looked at the motion industries and found this, which looks more accurate, but I've never really seen one in person so who knows?

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/product/01295997/SKF+Sealing+Solutions+9815+Oil+Seal+-+Inches/en?category=Seals%2C+Gaskets+%26+Accessories%3ESeals%2C+Rings%2C+Washers+%26+Seal+Accessories%3EOil+Seals

I may be better off with the motion industries piece, especially if someone here has already used it and it works.

what do you think? :eusa-think:

eightlitermopar

Edited by eightlitermopar
  • Like 2

eightlitermopar

I went ahead and ordered them online. My local Napa stores only had one, and the other three available would have to be shipped from Denver anyway. (heaven forbid they have 2 on one site).

So this brings up another question.

Since I have the 5007 case, what seal would I use for the brake shaft if it should start leaking?

I don't think it's leaking, but if it does?

thanks again! This site is awesome!

Edited by eightlitermopar

woodchuckfarmer

If you have the transmission out, id  change all of the seals. It might save you a headache in the future

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The axle seals and brake shaft seal are the same...SKF  # 9815  need 3 if you are going to change them...the input shaft seal is SKF # 7410...that is all you need for seals.  :)   And...yes...this site is awesome...we all learned at some point...and with luck we get a chance to give back.  :woohoo:

Bob's method of putting in the seals...above...is excellent.  Make sure you file any burrs on the ends of the shafts and the key ways...a piece of tape over the axle will help so you do not rip the rubber on the new seal.  Any questions...just ask.. :)

Edited by stevasaurus

eightlitermopar

I don't have the transmission out, but it's up on stands right now. Honestly, I don't know if there is much oil in the case. I have driven it 10 feet so far :)

I ordered 4 of those seals so I can have spares on hand. So, if it does leak when I put oil in it, I'll have the seal.

BTW...any special oil I need to put in the case?

stevasaurus

manual calls for 90 wt, but 80/140 is OK if you can't find the 90wt.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1