River19

New to Forum - C160 Owner with some ?s

River19

Grew up a Wheel Horse kid and we had a 1968 8hp WH (I want to say C-100 or something) and then in the mid 80s when I was 10 my mother vetoed a purchase of a new 300 series and my father "settled" for a used 1975 C-160 Hydrostatic with hydraulics etc.  We sold off the snow blower 15 years ago or more as it was a better plow than snowblower for New England heavy wet snow.....fond memories of ducking exploding PTO clutch plates.......

Anyways, fast forward to 2000 when I bought my first house and I ended up with the C160 and we mowed with it for years with the 42" deck.  Now we just use a simple self propelled rig to mow our yard, however we have a log cabin in northern Vt that is our pride and joy and dammit, I need a toy to play with and I will get the C-160 running again.  It's been a couple years since it saw regular duty, been sitting in the shed with the battery pulled for a year or so.

I would like to find a plow for it, I think I found one on CL for $150......might have to pick that up, also I need a few things done/fixed:

The seat bracket broke, so the bracket that holds the whole rear fender/seat assembly and lets it pivot etc. let go and snapped......anyone know where I could score a new one or should I jsut have someone fabricate one?

Oil......it needs an oil change......what weight oil and how many quarts?  I still have the manual in mint condition but after 38 years I figured someone might suggest something different for the Kohler 16HP mill.....

Oil filter?

Tranny oil.......what kind and how many quarts?

I have a 900' dirt driveway that can get rutted up in the mud season and I would like to be able to plow the sandy soil back to level with this rig as well as move firewood etc.

Any helpful links etc. would be appreicated, meanwhile I will soak up the archives here, great forum.....

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Sparky

:WRS:

Your motor should have straight 30w in the summer and 10w-30 in the winter. I think your machine is new enough that the tranny would have 10-30 motor oil as well. Not sure what year they stopped using ATF and swapped over to regular motor oil.

Mike............

rmaynard

Steve,

The parts you needs can be found used from many sources, but I would try one of our vendors. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/92-vendors/

If you have trouble finding parts, a good welder could fabricate something for you I'm sure.

Kohler says that the K341 takes 2 quarts of 30W oil when temps are above freezing, and 5W30 at lower temps. I use 30W year round in my Kohlers here in Maryland.

A 1975 C-160 uses a transmission filter Toro #79-5270 or NAPA 1410. The transmission holds 6 quarts of SAE 10W30 or 10W40 engine oil.

Good luck. The C-160 is a great machine.

River19

Thanks guys;  Oil and filters are an easy afternoon job......

I'll check out the forum sponsors for the bracket replacement; always would rather use sponsors when possible.

953 nut

:WRS:    Seems like most of your questions have been covered. For grading the road I would suggest a "mid mount grader blade", Some one listed one in our classified section the othed day. The dozer/snow plow is good for pushing dirt around, but to level it the mid mount is the way to go.

Good luck and  :wwp: .

AMC RULES

Post up some picts of the old girl here when you can.  

River19

I will check out the mid mount grader blade as I would really use that more than the plow I think.  The driveway is 900' and soft sandy soil so it gets rutted up even when dry espcially with out heavier trucks going up and down (F250 diesels + my wife's Tundra etc.).  My buddy plows it with his truck for short money so that isn't an issue and I have a 1968 Ariens snowblower that I keep for our primary house......stick with a small POS house and they you can have 2 homes for the price of one :-) lol.

I'll get some pics up when I can.