RMCIII

Toro/Wheel Horse Servicing Dealerships

RMCIII

Wow, wow, wow.... is all I can say after my day today.. Here was the mission.. Set out to locate a Toro/Wheel Horse Service Center that truly services the product. My intent was to "hopefully" locate a NOS electric cab heater from a Toro ground master 200 series. Some models were diesels back then and some were gas, air cooled. The cabs had a heater option, electric, or coolant (heater core) type. Here is what I got:

• I have "never" even heard of something like that for a Toro
  • You have an MTD tractor, it is garbage, you need to be looking at a Simplicity
  • Toro/Wheel Horse went out of business years ago, I hope you have stock piled all wear items because you will not find them and if you do, they are going to be expensive
  • I've been in this business for nearly 40 years, I have traveled Ohio, PA, KY, IN, and MI. Wheel Horse garden tractors have only a limited following and they will never last like a Simplicity. I have a warehouse full of Simplicity and Jacobson parts, would you like to discuss a trade?
  • Your tractor is actually not a tractor at all, but an MTD, mower that will only last about 3 years at best. Once it breaks down, remember what I told you, then come back and see me...

Where do I go from here? I know we own a GT that has/had limited servicing and the best information, lies in RS.... But I also would like to believe that some of the servicing centers have an "old timer" that knows/understands these tractors. Was definitely not the case today.. :snooty:

Not 1 Toro/Wheel Horse service center made any attempt to address my questions. < I had mentioned to the service technician my questions was probably like "p%^^&^%" in the wind. I even mentioned this before my question. But the customer service I received was belittling and down right appalling. One center even tried to sell me the Simplicity GT sitting on the show room floor in order to address my question. As he put it, "you may as well purchase this Simplicity, that I have over here, and know I will be able to service it for the next 40 years:.. :handgestures-thumbdown: At this point, I really became discouraged and very frustrated. So, guess what I did.... I headed to a "Green" dealership.

Before I even asked the questions, I informed them that I had a "red" GT/Toro Wheel Horse. I explained what I was trying to do and I even showed them a photo of the cab that I wanted to mount the heater inside...Guess what their response was... "If you find a cross-reference part number from a 200, 300, or 400 series garden tractor of that year, we may be able to locate an electric heater you might be able to mount in your cab....It's a long shot, but JD may have something lying around in a warehouse that would work for you"... What do you say when you receive customer service like this from a service center that does not even service Toro/ Wheel Horse tractors.

Here is the kicker.... They offered me a substantial trade in, not for a green tractor, but for a red tractor. MF GC 2600 with only 53hrs. on it. Had a FEL.. It was a 2012 model and had the diesel.... My out of pocket was slightly over $4k. I looked at the sales person and asked why such a deal on a 2012 that is basically new? More important, why was he pushing a MF vs. JD? His response, "I know someone that is looking for a set-up like you have, and I can make a great deal on the MF". I asked him if he intended on trying to service the Wheel Horse, his reply, "I am sure it would be difficult, but we want to make sure our customers are taken care of". < Customer service 101 right there folks....

What is my point.... Can someone point me to a Toro/ Wheel Horse, or General Garden Tractor repair center, that does not mind going above and beyond, even though the odds may be stacked against them? Again, I am in Cleveland, don't mind a 45 minute drive, if the customer service resembles that of the JD center.....

• Like 1

squonk

Funny you mention Simplicity. I was showing my local OPE guy pics of my tractors. He sells Simplicity. He asked about one I just got from the original owner. He said, Why did the guy sell the WH? I told hime he couldn't get on and off it anymore and he bought a Simplicity. The Simplicity guy said ,HE WON"T BE HAPPY WITH IT!!! :laughing-rolling:  There is a Old Toro Wheel Horse Dealer about 30 miles from me. He has been there forever. He might be able to help you. At least he might be able to come up with a part # PM me if you want his phone #

• Like 2

baerpath

These guy's went far beyond when I needed parts for my 718Z, They ended up getting my part from another dealer in NC

Grassland Equipment 892 Troy Schenectady Rd, Latham, NY 12110
(518) 785-5841

• Like 1

RMCIII

Mike - exactly what I am talking about. He knows a quality product and understands longevity of a customer.. I realize WH is gone and the servicing of the product is minimized by the amount of products/owners that still reside... Sales/service 101... But here is the kicker....How many of you have owned a Conquest TSi Turbo? I did/do, and this car, is on the extinct list. Parts, service, manuals are all but gone... However, you can find a Mitsubishi/Chrysler service center that becomes excited when you drive a Conquest or Starion in for servicing. That is my point. I know the Conquest is going to cost me some $$$, but I will pay for the servicing, if the technician knows what they are doing and understands they may need to think outside the box to repair the car.... WH- seems to be a "fat chance in h*!!" of that happening.... Regardless, you get my point. I am hoping to find a servicing dealership that does think "outside the box" when it comes to this sort of stuff....

RMCIII

Thanks Duane... I will check them out.

brandonozz

I surely understand about lack of customer support at some of the Toro dealers.  I hear a lot of people talk about supporting their local dealer and in most cases I agree that is a great thing to do ......but......what if your dealer doesn't want your business because it's a Wheel Horse and not a Toro?

I was needing the O rings for the mannifold to motor for my D and was having trouble figuring out on line what all the parts needed were. I had an idea but wanted to get it right so I went into a dealer and asked for help.  Well the person behind the counter asked their mechanic to come look at the computer to help figure it out and about 5 minutes later we thought we had it.  Well, the owner comes walking by and states, "we really don't have time to be messing with that Wheel Horse stuff and we don't make anything off it anyway".  I took that as my needs mean nothing to him and that he is the type of guy that if he can't make a buck, he doesn't want you walking thru his door. 

The other dealership across town seems to like my money and is much more helpful.  Worth the drive to deal with people that may actually appreciate your business!

All dealerships are not created equal.

Edited by brandonozz
  • Like 1

RMCIII

brand- exactly what I'm referring to.

How easy would it have been if the owner would have said, "it is difficult to service those models, but let me see what I can do"?

I hate to say this, and am not a fan of green, but when green tries to help red and they have no product line to support that model, well you decide who you would give your money to? This forum is AWESOME, but if there is not a Toro/Wheel Horse service center that wants to think "outside the box" I may very well be looking to make a trade with my unit...... :scratchead:  :angry-tappingfoot:

leeave96

There is a possible work around. Go to parts tree and drill down to find the part number you need or if possible download a manual/parts list from Toro. I have a lot better luck at these dingbat dealers if I do the look-up for them and just give them a part number to work with.

I definitely respect and use a good dealer for any product, but find it more and more difficult to stumble into a dealer that is not an expert at taking your hard earned $$$'s for a product they know nothing about and dread the day they have to service or be asked a question about what you bought from them in the first place. It's no wonder the box stores rule today. At least with them you can get a no hassle return.

But...

I'd take an old Wheelhorse and the great support on this forum over a new dealer or box store tractor every day!!!!!

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 2

brandonozz

How easy would it have been if the owner would have said, "it is difficult to service those models, but let me see what I can do"?

I hate to say this, and am not a fan of green, but when green tries to help red and they have no product line to support that model, well you decide who you would give your money to? This forum is AWESOME, but if there is not a Toro/Wheel Horse service center that wants to think "outside the box" I may very well be looking to make a trade with my unit...... :scratchead:  :angry-tappingfoot:

That sounds like a great deal on that MF and I can understand if you wanted to trade.  I really enjoy my WH tractors and I'm not going to let some rude dealer change my mind about them and as mentioned, with the great "teamwork" on this site with some parts about anything can be fixed. 

You know the sad thing is, with dealers like we ran across I wouldn't ever consider buying a new product from Toro if that is the kind of "support" I could expect to get.  I couldn't help but think if I spent $5000 on a product today and was needing help 15 years down the road, would this guy give me the time of day.

There is a possible work around. Go to parts tree and drill down to find the part number you need or if possible download a manual/parts list from Toro. I have a lot better luck at these dingbat dealers if I do the look-up for them and just give them a part number to work with.

I definitely respect and use a good dealer for any product, but find it more and more difficult to stumble into a dealer that is not an expert at taking your hard earned $$$'s for a product they know nothing about and dread the day they have to service or be asked a question about what you bought from them in the first place. It's no wonder the box stores rule today. At least with them you can get a no hassle return.

But...

I'd take an old Wheelhorse and the great support on this forum over a new dealer or box store tractor every day!!!!!

Good luck,

Bill

Bill, your rignt about finding your part numbers in advance.  I had looked at the parts list on the Toro site but couldn't quite get a handle on the mannifold O rings. 

Edited by brandonozz
  • Like 1

RMCIII

John - purchased one of those "12v heater/defrosters". The heater element is great, the fan however, is what you would call less than meager. If I had an RPM meter, it may have peaked, at 200 rpm's. Serious. What a disappointment, especially since the heater portion, put out some decent heat.

qd-16

Motter's in Mansfield , Oh. has been in business since 1969 dealing with wheelhorses  and works on them still.  Little longer than 45 min. away.

Edited by qd-16

Theswampthing

In Tamaqua PA, we have a hardware store that sells just about everything. They also have a seasonal and power department that sells chainsaws, lawn mowers, ect. They mechanic is a WH guy and pulls in competition with them. They will service and order parts for anything. They had a 520 and a 312 there last week. They will help you out with questions wether you buy a new zero turn, or a 2 dollar fuel filter. I guess we are lucky to have a place like that around.

• Like 1

RMCIII

qd - do you have an actual address and phone number for Motter'?

Rob

Don1977

Part of the problem is some of the Toro dealership never sold a Wheel Horse. I deal with a local Toro dealer like that he bought out an old Wheel Horse dealer and he stocks some parts and will order any I need. Haven't asked about service as my C-120 hasn't been back to a dealer in 36 years. I have stop at a few Toro dealers when needing parts that don't stock any Wheel Horse parts. They started with Toro after they stopped making Wheel Horse tractors, they have all offered to order part for me.

• Like 2

Kennedy

I am in Cleveland too. I go to Worcesters in North Ridgeville. I have never taken my WH tractor there as I just got my first in October. I am not sure if they ever sold Wheel Horse but they work on everything. Great customer service too. Here is their # 440-327-I 2196.

Edited by Kennedy

qd-16

Motter's address; 1418 Ashland road (state route 42) Mansfield ohio.

Phone # 419-589-6786

RMCIII

Don - Thanks, if a couple of the other places don't pan out, I'll be PMing you.

Kenny - I will check them out. They are not to far from me....

qd - Thanks... Planning a trip there next weekend.

RMCIII

Swamp - I was going to PM you but for some reason there is no option to send you a message??? Could you send me their number?

Rob

JimD

Rob, this one is listed in the Vintage Wheel horse Dealer thread pinned at the top of the page. I looked them up online and found the address and phone number...

Tegner Implement Sales 30817 Euclid Ave Willoughby OH 44094 (440) 943-1983

RMCIII

Thanks Jim..

I got another issue w/my posting options. I am unable to "quote" someone's thread and can't copy or paste from word... The option is there to do so, but it does nothing when I try either.....Any ideas.

MalMac

I have ran into some of these Moron dealerships also, seems like more and more of them are becoming this way. For the life of me I can not figure out in todays tough economy why they would act this way. Seems to me that making a sale and satisfying a customer would bring them back for more sales. When we were a dealer years ago I remember my Dad and Granddad  bending over back wards to make sure the customer was satisfied. After we closed the dealership we still had some customers come back for parts and service. With the net providing even more competition it's got to be tough. That's why forums such as this become more valuable than it really appears. If people are going to continue to use,restore Wheel Horse's. Parts along with knowledge will start to become harder to find. Red Square is not just a forum it's a very valuable to tool to those who work, restore and just plain mess around with Wheel Horse. To ever loose this forum would be a handicap to all who use it not just for socializing and entertainment but to those who seek answers.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 5

RMCIII

Mal - exactly....and for the life of me, I am still baffled a "Green" dealership ,that has no ties to Toro/Wheel Horse, tried to help me by thinking outside the box...They went well above the definition of customer service and provided some options to work with. < I am also not so naïve to think they were not trying to sell something else that day... But the genuine service to provide a solution, that was not even their worry, well that is just amazing. Still contemplating the offer they made on the CG 2600...The problem is the time of year...

• Like 1

Mike333

I just tried the number for Tenger, no luck, I am in cleveland also and was hoping for good contact on parts. I fully understand the lack of help at dealerships,most of them I have dealt with are just a bunch of goofs!!! If ya ever need parts or help with your Horses feel free to pm me, I am over on the east side in Painesville and would be happy to help you anyway I can!

kaiser

the "green" dealers are more into tractors then the other dealers that's for sure.

my family owns a green dealership, when they caught me looking at 100 series tractors they told me to go find an old wheelshorse or case (if i couldn't find a old green one first. lol), "you'll be alot happier, we don't even stock the new100 series".

i think it comes down to the people who work there and what they are into. my step grand dad has a warehouse full of restored deere's, right next to another one full of farmalls. these guys just plain enjoy tractors.

• Like 1