zach

E tank in the winter???

zach

I want to build a e tank but I don't know if I can in the winter months in NY .Has anyone run an e tank in the winter? Or Have any ideas on how to make one work in the cold ?

varosd

shouldn't make a difference.  except it needs to be run outside due to the fumes. 

not sure if water/solution temp would make a difference. 

I'm sure someone has done it and will post feedback.

rmaynard

I found with mine that the water tends to heat up a little as the electrolysis is working. I don't know that it would heat it enough to use outside in below freezing temps. I always used mine inside the garage where overnight temps were between 32 and 45. My garage is not insulated or airtight, so I don't worry about hydrogen fumes. Not enough are generated for me to be concerned about. The process seemed to work as good cold as it does warm.

Fun Engineer

Just wondering if anyone has tried adding antifreeze to the solution. I'd like to etank some part this winter also.

stevasaurus

I do not think I would add anything to the solution...you could end up producing something you can't throw out on the grass.  I had the liquid freeze in my 5 gallon bucket before, I think it was in the 20's.  I just brought it inside the back door in the evening and let it thaw over night.  You only get hydrogen gas when it is running. 

A good solution to the problem...they make plug in heaters that will wrap around a propane tank to keep it from freezing up when in use..  No sparking or open flame in a closed space, and it will keep the bucket thawed.  We used them around our 80 gal propane tanks at the phone company...never had a propane tank freeze up with one of them on.  It should work great on a 5 gal electrolysis bucket. :)

http://www.powerblanket.com/gas-cylinder-heaters/

Save Old Iron

the washing soda added to the water makes .... salt water.  the freezing point will be lower than tap water.  you also gain heat from the electrolysis action. if your 12 volt charger is flowing 5 amps; that is 70 watts of energy dispersed in the electrolyte. this heat would be equivalent of a 60 to 75 watt light bulb heating the solution.  you could wrap the tank in a fiberglass blanket anf float ping pong balls on top of the solution to retain heat in the tank.

• Like 2

oldredrider

OK....so ping pong balls are an insulator? Or entertainment value?

Save Old Iron

a layer of non moving air between 2 different temperatures. much like the insulation in a double pane house window

• Like 1

stevasaurus

SOI, while I agree with you in theory...and I do...I did have a 5 gal bucket freeze in my garage and thawed it out like I said...pretty sure it was in the low 20's.  I know salt and current would lower the freezing point, and it did, but it is not a real strong solution, (1 or 2 tbs per gallon of washing soda).  Just wrapping the bucket with an insulating material would not have kept it from freezing.  A small electric blanket, or a plug in heating source is the answer if you really want to do electrolysis in the winter...around 20 degrees outside in an unheated garage..I think you need this. :eusa-think:

BTW...I was running 10 amps.  Also...if you read some of the literature on the internet, they are real cautious about using other things in the solution...including stainless steel...which they infer could produce hazardous contaminates, which would require proper disposal.  Another thing that is inferred, is that more soda does not make the solution work any better or faster.  Amps, and the size and line of site of anodes makes the difference.  What do you think???

stevasaurus

The ping pong balls would be like people that have swimming pools that float an inner tube under their pool cover all winter...a log would work also...helps to keep the water moving so it does not freeze and expand...geese do the same thing on a lake...moving water has a lower freezing temperature.

:)

squonk

And here I thought the boy geese were chasing the girl geese! Who knew!  :)  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Way to be part of the solution Mike... :ychain:

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

If a small tank, mine is a 20 gallon plastic tub, would a large aquarium heater do any good maybe?

Save Old Iron

lets see

8 btu needed to raise 1 gallon of water 1 degree

2o gallon tank needs 20 x 8 or 160 btu per 1 degree temp rise

at 22f outside temp you need 160 x 10 or 1600 btu to maintain 32f in tank

1600 btu / 3.4 watts per btu equals about a 500 watt heater

Steve is right, extra washing soda does not help the electrolysis action but it does lower the freeze point of the water even further

i imagine a 26 f freeze point would not be unreasonable with additional wash soda added.

a 6 degree rise in temp would only require a 250 watt heater.

subtract another 5o watts contributed by the electrolysis action and a 200 watt heater may keep your 20 gallon tank operational down to around 20F

the passive techniques of added washing soda and ping pong balls only work to  a certain degree Uno pun intendedO

• Like 2

Stigian

I use my E-tank throughout the year, never had a problem with it working even when it get frozen over...

But then our winters (well down south) in the UK are not as harsh as yours..

There is a wheel in here somewhere :D

TSS14765.jpg

meadowfield

Same here, use one all year round. Sometimes you have to crack to ice to take the part out, that's all... :D

Dkphillips

I have been around mechanical things all my life and have never heard of a "e tank". Now the question...what is a e tank?

varosd

ping pong balls vs....

duck_zpse79b38bb.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

Way to be part of the solution Mike... :ychain:

If I was part of the solution, I would be de-rusted and paint free!......... :)  :laughing-rolling:  :teasing-tease: Thanks Folks I'll be here all week!  :)

• Like 1

SousaKerry

E tank us a method of electrochemically changing rust to something else. I prefer sandblasting myself but use it occasionally for special jobs. Do a search on it you will find many posts on how to build one.

Dkphillips

Thanks for the info.

Fun Engineer

I guess I'll just have to wait till spring.  It's too cold up here.

oaktown1987

What's an e tank

I see it posted now never mind

n1defan

I guess I'll just have to wait till spring.  It's too cold up here.

Ive used my E tank outside in the winter. and I am two hours south of you.