Griff

512-D Wont start

Griff

Just bought another diesel but it wont start. The pto clutch safety switch is apparently the problem. If you turn the key and jiggle the pto lever it's meant to start but there's not a peep.I've not had time for a proper look yet, does anyone know where the switch might be found?

gwest_ca

Looks the same as the gas models so the switches are at the right end of the battery below the throttle cable.

Garry

Adding

Curious to know what the diameter of the rear axles are on these diesel models. 1" or 1-1/8"? I think if it has 1" axles it should have 4 pinion gears and if 1-1/8" it should have 8 pinion gears. The parts lists don't tell us but suggest it is 1" with 4 pinions.

boovuc

Apparently all the diesel horses are in the UK?!!!!

Oh I would love an original diesel Wheelhorse!  

mrc

Yeah!!!  what boovuc said times 10!   you may have to pull out the battery as it is tight down there getting to the pto safety switch.    look right behind the pto lever on the hoodstand.  you will see a white plastic safety switch.  rig up a jumper wire and give it a try.   i had the same problem on a 416 years ago and the jumper wire got me going in a pinch.  mike in mass.

meadowfield

Agree, bypass the pto interlock, two wire jumpers is all it takes

Edited by meadowfield

Griff

I cleaned up the terminals and it still wouldn't have it. I'll try the jumper trick when i've got my sense of humour back, ( the Super Major wouldn't start either for the second morning running ). I can't tell what size the axle is, looks an inch but that's with a rusty tape measure.

Keep calm and carry on !

:UK:

meadowfield

Looks the same as the gas models so the switches are at the right end of the battery below the throttle cable.

Garry

Adding

Curious to know what the diameter of the rear axles are on these diesel models. 1" or 1-1/8"? I think if it has 1" axles it should have 4 pinion gears and if 1-1/8" it should have 8 pinion gears. The parts lists don't tell us but suggest it is 1" with 4 pinions.

based on age I would say it has 1 1/8" axles. Didn't they stop using 1" mid 70's? but you are the expert Garry :)

Griff

I bypassed the safety switch and it still wouldn't start so i did what i should have done in the first place and put a different battery on. She struck up first time. If brains were gunpowder, i don' think i'd have enough to blow my bleedin' hat off!

• Like 2

Lars

Garry

Adding

based on age I would say it has 1 1/8" axles. Didn't they stop using 1" mid 70's? but you are the expert Garry :)

Not sure on that Mark..  my 312-8 has 1 inch axel and it from 89.. 8 speed 4 pinion

meadowfield

you learn something new everyday !

gwest_ca

you learn something new everyday !

So do I which means I am not an expert.

The last 8-speed with 1" axles was used in the 1993 model 310-8.

If you search the manuals using the two words forward speeds they will all come up. Then change the Submission Date to Title and then change to Ascending order.

Added the ipl's because Toro has been removing the illustrations from the online parts lists.

Garry

flyovrcntry

I bypassed the safety switch and it still wouldn't start so i did what i should have done in the first place and put a different battery on. She struck up first time. If brains were gunpowder, i don' think i'd have enough to blow my bleedin' hat off!

Sometimes we just wont accept the obvious. I work on small engines since I was about 10 yo., my uncle and dad started teaching me. Well just this summer I was working on this 12hp briggs and I just couldn't make it run good.I cleaned that carb at least 3 times,i set the valves,I cleaned the tank,I cleaned and set the plug.I even changed coil.I checked all the wiring, and was about to change the ignition.I was looking for something and there sat this new spark plug, still in the package.Yeah,it ran like a champ, :banghead: