Sign in to follow this  
RMCIII

Ariens 722 Snowblower

RMCIII

Does anyone know much/anything about the Ariens 722 single stage snow blower? I tried to look up reviews but the only reviews it would pull up were for the ss 522. My neighbor has one that has been sitting for about 5 or six years. He says he starts it once in a while to make sure it still runs. I went and looked at it yesterday. Looks brand new, except for a little rust on the scraper bar and some dirt around the fill cap for the gas/oil mixture.

He is wanting $200.00 for the snow blower. I was thinking this would work quite nicely on the sidewalks and path-ways that lead up to my customers porches. But there are now reviews, and anything I did find, were questions regarding paddles not moving. < Most of the answers were related to the shear pin on the shaft.

Is this a good snow blower, is the price fair? I was thinking of offering to do a trade out for the snow blower. I would keep his driveway, sidewalk and porches clean, for the price of an Ariens 722. I know what comes next, he's my neighbor, I should do it for free. < Tried that already, not happening. He will not allow you to do anything out of the generosity of your heart. So,,,,I was thinking the trade might be something he would go for. It's just sitting, is not used, and I know if I do not keep his drive clean this winter, he will pay someone else to do it....

What says the heard?

Martin

go here and search a little.......

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php

awesome forum on snowblowers, was a daily thing for me until one of the members showed me a pic of a wheel horse tractor and a link to red square.........

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

squonk

I don't know about the Ariens but I got an old 72 Sno-Pup that works the nuts for sidewalks and tight spots. Paid $50 for it and was well worth it. When the Tecky expires I'll go out and find another 2 cycle blower.

AMC RULES

The trade sounds more than fair...  :eusa-think: 

provided it actually snows at some point. 

• Like 2

Ken B

They are a pretty good snow blower, personally I'd rather just hand him the 200 bucks and be on my merry way. He may prefer the cash so I'd be prepared to offer him both options. Some people are extremely demanding about when their drive is cleared, I know a few people that want it done just so or they aren't happy. I have a single stage Ariens 522 I use at work on the walkways. Its pretty good if the snow is fluffy but if its wet it plugs right up. If its a fairly large driveway that he has and you plan on using the 722 to clear it, if the snow is wettish you'll have your hands full.

I used to clear one of my neighbors drives for free until he complained that I piled some snow from my driveway in front of his house along the curb of the road. Guess what? He now has a close relationship with his snow shovel! He was out there for hrs. last year after the blizzard clearing almost 30 inches of snow. He is in his late 40's and healthy so I don't feel bad whatsoever.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Thanks John.

squonk

My next door "engineer" neighbor has a small parking lot for his driveway. He has 2 riders with a lawn as big as the bed of a pick up truck so you can imagine the way he is. :)​  He goes to Florida every year so his driveway sits. 2 years ago was the first year he went. He didn't hire anybody to clear snow. I did it for free mainly because it's fun, My sidewalk meets it so why not keep going, and It was also the first year I had a loader. Last year he hired a guy and the boob kept piling the snow on my walk. :banghead: This year he didn't go because he's scared of the bacteria, gators and bugs. Same boob plowing and he's not happy.  :) After he's done the old Gravely comes out and he has to do it all over. He told me if he goes to Florida next year he will hire me. I'll do it if he's not around.  :banana-skier: 

• Like 1

RMCIII

They are a pretty good snow blower, personally I'd rather just hand him the 200 bucks and be on my merry way. He may prefer the cash so I'd be prepared to offer him both options. Some people are extremely demanding about when their drive is cleared, I know a few people that want it done just so or they aren't happy. I have a single stage Ariens 522 I use at work on the walkways. Its pretty good if the snow is fluffy but if its wet it plugs right up. If its a fairly large driveway that he has and you plan on using the 722 to clear it, if the snow is wettish you'll have your hands full.

I used to clear one of my neighbors drives for free until he complained that I piled some snow from my driveway in front of his house along the curb of the road. Guess what? He now has a close relationship with his snow shovel! He was out there for hrs. last year after the blizzard clearing almost 30 inches of snow. He is in his late 40's and healthy so I don't feel bad whatsoever.

I'm rigged for any size driveway with the 518xi, cab, chains, weights, and a 42" single stage. I was looking at this for use on a sidewalk or path way to a porch.

Ken B

It should be okay but it has its limits. Many times as you know people like to throw ice melt on their sidewalks etc. When a good heavy snow comes you'll wind up with snow on top and slush on the bottom making this thrower useless IMO. If that doesn't happen you'll be okay. Lots of guys that clear driveways with their truck for a living toss them in the back for the walkways etc. They are fairly light and it sure beats a shovel.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Thanks Ken.

Ken B

Yesterday I decided to retire the 10 yr old 522 Ariens so I purchased a brandy new Ariens path pro 21 with the 208 cc engine. I'm hoping it has more nut than the 135 cc Techy on the old 522.. Its no longer Tecumseh powered, which was never an issue for me as the Techy's that they used on these are pretty darn good. I decided to go with electric start but more importantly I wanted remote chute control. I hated not having that on the old one. It was a tough choice between the Ariens and the Cub Cadet they had their for sale, the Cub was pretty impressive as well. It came down to this, the old 522 Ariens was a pretty decent machine so I decided I wanted the new Ariens to match the Ariens ST10/28 two stage walk behind that I use for the heavy stuff. That Cub Cadet yellow is just to friggin bright for me! New toy for me!

RMCIII

Ken - Keep me up to date on the performance of the snow blower.