leeave96

Wheelhorse Simplicity

leeave96

Been down in the 20's the last few days and went out tonight to swap out the 30w for some 5w-30 in the 314-8 (Kohler M14).

After wrestling with my IH Cub Cadets and Simplicity, it was a pleasure to simply unscrew a pipe plug, drain the oil, refill. No subframes to remove, drain plug on the side of the engine, easy access to drain.

Other simple things come to mind - like no speparate subframe for mower deck and front blade, heck - no subframes at all. No need to pull the engine to replace the clutch or hydro fan. Crazy simple PTO, easy to service and adjust - no special tool required. Flip the hood and almost total access to the engine. Problem with the driveshaft, pull the engine to service. Problem with the drive belt, easy replacement - engine stays put. Pretty simple.

Am I missing anything?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Bill

• Like 5

953 nut

:woohoo:   I too am thankful for the Ponds and the :wh:  they built.  :text-thankyouyellow: 

608KEB

You summed it up!

Don1977

Not only simple to work on and change equipment it's great engineering.

leeave96

Noticed another thing today. Clevis hitch is easily lifted out of the way for using the drawbar. And these attachments are interchangeable between tractors too - from across a slew of years made for the C/300/400/500 series tractors.

Tip of he iceberg. Mowers, blades, snow throwers interchange - what a great idea!!!

dbartlett1958

Bill,

You nailed it.  I have spent the past couple months replacing the engine on my BIL's John Deere 112, as well as making some long overdue repairs to the tractor and mower deck. The 112 was a very well built tractor, to the point of extreme. Overbuilt is probably not too strong a description. In any case, the tractor exists today due to the way it was built back in 1968.

That being said it is also the most frustrating thing to work on after having had a Wheel Horse. Belts, pulleys, more belts, springs, rods, you name it, it has it. I can't wait to see that thing back at my brother in laws house.

I do have to admit, "I like that Variator" drive thingy!

Edited by dbartlett1958

flyovrcntry

I work on these things quite a bit,and you nailed it.I would rather get a root canal than change the starter on a 300 series JD.Also I replaced the elect clutch on a L130 JD and thought it would be a good Idea to change the drive belt since I had the deck off doing some work on it also. That was a three hour job,you have to take the steering shaft out since the belt goes around it.

It's not just JD, but they do make it hard,and there's a reason for that. They don't want you to work on it.That being said,they are good tractors,but I will let someone else have the pleasure.

By the way ,you can get the variator thingy on a MTD

leeave96

Holy Batman! We got snow/ice storm coming, so I put the wheelweights on my trusty IH Cub Cadet. Not so easy. Disk brakes on the rear get in he way of the bolt access to secure the weighs to the rim - pain in the buttox, not a problem EVER with the Wheelhorse!!!!

Next up, put the front blade on - not so fast. Got to deal with the blade specific subframe. Rather than separate he subframe from the blade, I try to mount the blade and subframe together. Figured this would be the simplest way. Not so easy. Subframe mounts to the front and mid-section of the tractor AND have to attach to their respective mounting points at the same time. I got it to fit up, after my two boys helped me wrestle it. And this is on a tractor that has a quick attach setup?

This whole blade thing is MUCH simpler on the Wheelhorse.

papaglide

Exactly the reason that I got rid of my IHCC 1200 with QA42 blade over the summer. Very nice tractor, total headache to mess with.

TravelinJavelin

this is why I really had taken a liking to the wheel horse tractors too, rugged, dependable, built for the test of time! 

Wheel-N-It

Holy Batman! We got snow/ice storm coming, so I put the wheelweights on my trusty IH Cub Cadet. Not so easy. Disk brakes on the rear get in he way of the bolt access to secure the weighs to the rim - pain in the buttox, not a problem EVER with the Wheelhorse!!!!

Next up, put the front blade on - not so fast. Got to deal with the blade specific subframe. Rather than separate he subframe from the blade, I try to mount the blade and subframe together. Figured this would be the simplest way. Not so easy. Subframe mounts to the front and mid-section of the tractor AND have to attach to their respective mounting points at the same time. I got it to fit up, after my two boys helped me wrestle it. And this is on a tractor that has a quick attach setup?

This whole blade thing is MUCH simpler on the Wheelhorse.

Hey Bill,  what series of CC are you working on???  I am asking this because the wheel weights and snow blade went on my 1650 like ZIP ZIP, which is a good thing because I cursed that 1650 all the way through the resto process from start to finish!!! The only thing easy to do was install the wheel weights and snow blade.

leeave96

Van - it's a 1650 LOL! Great machine, but it has been a wrestling match at times restoring/using this thing! I've also got a 126 and 109.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Van - it's a 1650 LOL! Great machine, but it has been a wrestling match at times restoring/using this thing! I've also got a 126 and 109.

Bill, I'm sorry to hear that even the wheel weights and snow blade were such a darn wrestling match.  I tell you though, I have learned my LAGT lesson the hard way.  Wheel Horses are the most simple and easiest tractors to work on. Every time I step outside that comfort zone I get a painful reminder. :angry-screaming:

userj8670

Not to stray from topic but are you on the only cub cadet site? I to have a 126 and it's been a great machine! Back to wheel horses I think I like them because they are like a steam locomotive - you can just see everything working to make it run

Edited by userj8670

leeave96

Not to stray from topic but are you on the only cub cadet site? I to have a 126 and it's been a great machine! Back to wheel horses I think I like them because they are like a steam locomotive - you can just see everything working to make it run Yep- I'm over there too.

My 126 is a good tractor, but here is an example of what I'm up against with that tractor:

Replaced the engine with one out of another cub cadet. Had to pull the hood and cast iron front grill off - very tight working and heavy as all get-out! Wheelhorse I think is two bolts. To unbolt/revolt the engine to the frame, got to jack the front end up' pivot the front axle as the front two oil pan/engine mounting bolts are directly over the front axle.

To get the engine out, I pulled the gas tank - which is mounted to a bracket on the engine head if I recall correctly. The gaas tank on my 314-8 is under the seat and the only thing on the head is a spark plug, head bolts and maybe a piece of engine tin.

Once I got the engine loose, I had to slide it forward to free it from the clutch/drive shift. It was a tight fit. Going back in was jut as tight.

Got the engine back-in, lots of stuff to reassemble, but got it done. 1st gear OK, 2nd gear mostly OK, 3rd gear slips - need to replace the clutch. I'll have to pull the engine - not required with the Wheelhorse.

I've got Wheelhorse, Cub Cadets and Simplicity tractors and they are all tough old iron. As I work/use these tractors, I'm amazed at how much simpler the Wheelhorse design is.

papaglide

The ease and simplicity of the wheel horses are what drove me to trade or sell my cubs. It started with a B-80 and I did more on that tractor than on all of my cubs combined; including a 104, 127, 169 and a 1200.

Wheel-N-It

So are we our own little group of "Recovering International Harvester Cub Cadet Collectors" ??? :hide:  :hide:  :hide:  :hide:

• Like 1

Ken B

So are we our own little group of "Recovering International Harvester Cub Cadet Collectors" ??? :hide:  :hide:  :hide:  :hide:

I was a big time Collector/Restorer of Cub Cadets myself. I had my fun with them. Out of all of the Cubs that I owned an Original is one I never had. I'd like too find a nice one of them one day... I played with the round fender John Deere's as well. I had one that I did a no expense spared restoration on. It was a fun tractor to ride around on and to cut grass with but when it came time to mount a snow blade on it and when I used it to push snow I always felt as if something was going too break on it. When I did take that one to tractor shows I sorta got the impression that the Deere collectors were kinda snooty, not for me. Besides, the round fender series Deere's were the only cool lookin ones they made IMO.

• Like 1

userj8670

Not to stray from topic but are you on the only cub cadet site? I to have a 126 and it's been a great machine! Back to wheel horses I think I like them because they are like a steam locomotive - you can just see everything working to make it run Yep- I'm over there too.

My 126 is a good tractor, but here is an example of what I'm up against with that tractor:

Replaced the engine with one out of another cub cadet. Had to pull the hood and cast iron front grill off - very tight working and heavy as all get-out! Wheelhorse I think is two bolts. To unbolt/revolt the engine to the frame, got to jack the front end up' pivot the front axle as the front two oil pan/engine mounting bolts are directly over the front axle.

To get the engine out, I pulled the gas tank - which is mounted to a bracket on the engine head if I recall correctly. The gaas tank on my 314-8 is under the seat and the only thing on the head is a spark plug, head bolts and maybe a piece of engine tin.

Once I got the engine loose, I had to slide it forward to free it from the clutch/drive shift. It was a tight fit. Going back in was jut as tight.

Got the engine back-in, lots of stuff to reassemble, but got it done. 1st gear OK, 2nd gear mostly OK, 3rd gear slips - need to replace the clutch. I'll have to pull the engine - not required with the Wheelhorse.

I've got Wheelhorse, Cub Cadets and Simplicity tractors and they are all tough old iron. As I work/use these tractors, I'm amazed at how much simpler the Wheelhorse design is.

Can't say I have ever had a problem with my cub - keeps on chugging along. However it is not as easy to work in as a wheel horse no doubt! I would love to get my hands on a 169 cub and a C160 horse and I think I would be in big bore heaven!

• Like 1

leeave96

FWIW - when I relate my experiences with the other color old iron tractors I have, I can't say it's a dig - though I'm sure in many ways it seems that way via my writings.  I guess when you sign-up to own a Cub Cadet, Gravely, Ariens - or Wheelhorse, there's a certain amount of headaches that come with it, but it's all part of owning the tractor.

Up until a couple years ago, I was 100% Wheelhorse.  I wanted to find out what the fuss was about with the other color tractors and went out and bought several Cub Cadets and Simplicity's.  I enjoy the conversation here and on the other color tractor websites as much as working on the tractors.

but...

ALL of my tractors are workers.  I just haven't had the time or resources or resolve in making a show/parade (nothing wrong with that) tractor.  My deal is refurb/rehab a tractor into a worker.  Being that these are "workers", I have a certain level of expectation when it comes to expecting them to perform and how much time it takes to service, refurb and just keep ahead of the eventual breakdowns.  I never imagined how much easier the Wheelhorse would have been than the other color tractors!  It has been stunning.  It is frustrating sometimes with the other color tractors the hoops you have to run through to make them work for your - no matter if it's servicing, pulling an engine or attaching an attachment - when you KNOW first hand it's much easier/simpler with the Wheelhorse.

Add to that, commonality in design, attachments (C series & 3/4/500 series is what I've got) and with the Wheelhorse, the fleet is truly versatile across the years of make.  I think I also suffer from "old dogs/new tricks" syndrome in my older age.  I was telling my Wife/Boss the other day that on the Wheelhorse forum, I can answer a LOT of questions, but on the other color tractor forums, I ask a LOT of quesitons - LOL.

It's all good - but I think as the next few years unfold, I can see my getting back to 100% Wheelhorse.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 2