Fordiesel69

Ariens Snowblowers - When did they become junk?

Fordiesel69

In regard to the tried and true ariens snow blowers, what year did them become junk. 

CasualObserver

Ummm... can you be more specific?  I love mine... it's a 2011 and works like a dream.

(last year's example... haven't needed it yet this year)

20130502_085804.jpg

• Like 1

squonk

My grandfather had an old Ariens. I think around a 62 or so. When I I was in college in 77 I came home to see a new Toro in the garage. :scratchead:  didn't think too much of it. A few weeks later, another new Toro show up. :scratchead:  :scratchead:  So now I ask him,what's going on. He starts ranting how the Toro's are junk and aren't half the machine the Old Ariens was. So I ask him why did he get rid of it and buy the Toro? He tells me he stripped the spark plug hole. So I tell him he could have fixed it for $5.00! Now he was really mad!  :)

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I don't know...this one is a mid '70's, eight horse Techumseh...    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

unstoppable beast she is...only comes out to play for the serious snows.     :scared-eek: 

So much fun at night, WOT, and a six inch blue flame shootin' out of the exhaust.  :text-woo:  

post-3498-0-59843300-1385573014_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-47335900-1385573088_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-19564600-1385573136_thumb.jp

• Like 3

kaiser

mine is a 2012 and is an absolute beast. briggs powered.

i do maintain it well, "summerize" it and everything.

Edited by kaiser

squonk

Guy I work with has an old A/C blower he calls "Alice" Between the gas leaking and the flame out the exhaust he can melt the snow!  :)

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I think that Ariens changed just after the anniversary year of 2009. Tecumseh left a big hole in the market and Ariens was forced into Chinese-built engines. Marketing and selling through HD didn't help as well. I've heard stories, for example, that "the next 100 off the line were for HD" and sent out without too much Quality Control. That may not be true. But a real Ariens dealer would pay attention to detail and adjust the machine before it went out the door - instead of just being completed by a HD employee.

I question when I see "B&S engine built for Ariens" considering that B&S owns Snapper or a model that uses Ariens own engine being built in China. Look at the fiasco that Kohler has with the "Courage" engine.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

What I mean is the nice old 70's units which were very heavy duty.  Unlike a lot of newer box store units that have cheap gear boxes, crappy tranny parts, etc.

Sparky

What I mean is the nice old 70's units which were very heavy duty.  Unlike a lot of newer box store units that have cheap gear boxes, crappy tranny parts, etc.

Oh thats what you meant.....well that could be said of countless products. Its just way things have gone. You cant stop it but you can keep the old irion going so that you wont have to deal with it.

Just three years ago I bought myself a "new" snowblower...she's a 1978 Gilson 26" with the original Briggs yank start 8hp. Fat, heavy and rugged!!

Mike...........

stevasaurus

I have an old Ariens walk behind snow blower from the late 70's...has a 3 1/2 hsp Techy on it...it started on the 1st pull a week ago  (I went out and bought a lottery ticket). :)   Of course it was 50 degrees and no snow, just getting it ready.  I bought it new, and it has really never let me down.  You have to be talking about the new stuff, I don't know how you get around that except to keep the old stuff running. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Martin

you need to look at what model ariens blower they are, some are built with the cheaper components, but like anything move up the scale a little (more money) and they still have the heavy components. i have a 2009 deluxe 24, the smallest one with the heavy duty xs gear case, you really need to look at the line up closely and you can tell where the heavier duty specs start to come into play. i also have no complaints about the b and s snow series 1150 engine. plenty of power and loves grunting through the deep stuff.

i couldn't be more happier with mine, sure sometimes i wish id got a bigger model, but the 24 gets in all the tight spots i need to and it takes anything i can throw at it. that shot of jasons up earlier in the thread reminds me of an earlier winter where mine was cutting through some real deep snow. it would tunnel a hole through and the snow would be dropping on top of the blower. it will push through snow up to the handlebars.....

i also baby this thing with maintenance and waxing it. my wife gives me crap about it but i threw down some serious cash and i want it to last......

CIMG0497.jpg

CIMG0495.jpg

CIMG0498.jpg

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

kaiser

i know they aren't like the old days but the new ones are still worlds better then the other big box store junk.

i like to "race" my neighbor, he's got a 30" toro and can't keep up with the new 30" ariens.

Martin

i think there is some truth to better quality, or at least better assembled units from the dealers as opposed to the big box stores. plus they actually know the machines.......

squonk

I don't about the newer Ariens but we got a Simplicity blower at work that I hate. It has the power steering option and it takes like 3 sets of arms to run it. really gives you a workout just to keep it straight.

squonk

I have an old Ariens walk behind snow blower from the late 70's...has a 3 1/2 hsp Techy on it...it started on the 1st pull a week ago  (I went out and bought a lottery ticket). :)   Of course it was 50 degrees and no snow, just getting it ready.  I bought it new, and it has really never let me down.  You have to be talking about the new stuff, I don't know how you get around that except to keep the old stuff running. :eusa-think:

You better eat your Wheaties if you get a big storm! :ychain:  Of course it started right up with no snow. That Tecky sees the snow and cold and it will say "yeah right" :)  My 2 cycle Tecky was running like a champ a month ago. Now with the snow, the cover's been off twice and the carb tweaked. :banana-wrench::wwp: of the old Ariens!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Martin...I think a sulky with that milk stool to sit on and Jeanine would be happy...LOL  I give you a rough time my friend, but I really appreciate you guys friendship...it was great to see you guys at a few shows this year...plus going out to dinner.  Chris had a great time picking  through the swap meet with Jeanine.  Happy Turkey Day my friends...Bloody Mary's with Blue Cheese stuffed Olives in the morning. :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Mike, if I get enough snow to get out the Ariens...a video will follow for sure...count on it...dang I hope it starts when it sees white. :)   If it does not start...I will do a video of pulling the rip cord to death and just maybe a shot of the Mossburg 20 gauge putting it out of my misery. :bow-blue:

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Martin...I think a sulky with that milk stool to sit on and Jeanine would be happy...LOL  I give you a rough time my friend, but I really appreciate you guys friendship...it was great to see you guys at a few shows this year...plus going out to dinner.  Chris had a great time picking  through the swap meet with Jeanine.  Happy Turkey Day my friends...Bloody Mary's with Blue Cheese stuffed Olives in the morning. :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone:

Steve ... I like my Bleu Cheese-stuffed olives with Dirty Martinis!  :ychain: Here's a photo from when I was back in Chi-Town, and pre-WH days. This was a Chicago winter ritual as you would shovel out your parking space and then put lawn furniture out to reserve it. Whoa be to the unlucky person who parked there!!!

I'll be thankful for some measurable snow this year. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

DSCF2584_zpsfa4dc89c.jpg

• Like 1

squonk

i hope your windows in your house open easily. They don't call Chicago the Windy City for nothing!
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

John...this forum really is a family reunion.  I have so much to be thankful for with the friends I have made and the members I have had a chance to meet because of this site...world wide...unbelievable.  John, I hope someday, you get to meet Martin and his family...actually, I hope I get to introduce them to you.  Happy Thanksgiving my Friend.  Fair winds and Following Seas. :)

Edited by stevasaurus

shallowwatersailor

John...this forum really is a family reunion.  I have so much to be thankful for with the friends I have made and the members I have had a chance to meet because of this site...world wide...unbelievable.  John, I hope someday, you get to meet Martin and his family...actually, I hope I get to introduce them to you.  Happy Thanksgiving my Friend.  Fair winds and Following Seas. :)

Red Sky At Night, as well. I was just telling Sue the same thing about the forum. Great minds think alike! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Navig8r

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in anyway..... I used to work for the Big Orange Box  :angry-screaming:  10+ years ago... One thing about Ariens blowers was fact then, and may be still.... They manufactured 2 'lines' of machines... the "Pro" line (or whatever they called it) was not sold outside of independent dealers, unless you asked for it, and special ordered it, if you could even find someone in the store who knew about them, or how to order them.... I remember Ariens telling me first-hand that there were both quality and feature differences, such as a heavier auger drive gearing, and a true differential for the wheel drive... among other differences........

My point?  Back then anyway, just because it was Ariens, and say 10HP, it was not necessarily the same machine as your neighbor's 10HP Ariens, and there might be a damn good reason someone spent a bucketload more $$ at a dealer for what SEEMED like the same machine.

That being said.... I'm with Mike (Sparky) on this topic.... In 1974 my grandfather bought a new Montgomery Ward (by Gilson) 8HP blower..... Today it's mine.....I still run it hard every time it snows, and it runs circles around all the neighbors' machines!

• Like 2