ibskot

capabilities of wheel horses

ibskot

My first post here. Just got a 312-8, rear scrape blade and plow from Van in NC and a Johnny bucket from Bill in Va. Both super nice guys. I chewed their ears for a while on the capabilities of these little tractors and got their opinions. As I was telling them, I have a 78 Sears Suburban that I am tired of fooling with. I found a 416-8 that I thought could "replace" it. Am I off? Do they compare? I am looking at moving dirt with the bucket, scraping driveways and paint a small garden.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

• Like 3

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

"D"- Man

My first post here. Just got a 312-8, rear scrape blade and plow from Van in NC and a Johnny bucket from Bill in Va. Both super nice guys. I chewed their ears for a while on the capabilities of these little tractors and got their opinions. As I was telling them, I have a 78 Sears Suburban that I am tired of fooling with. I found a 416-8 that I thought could "replace" it. Am I off? Do they compare? I am looking at moving dirt with the bucket, scraping driveways and paint a small garden.

What color do you plan to paint your small garden? Just kidding! I don't know much about a 312-8 or a 416-8 but I do know by experience that wheel horses are strong machines. Mark.

AMC RULES

Almost feels like we've already met. 

fourwheels0

the 312-8 will do everything you need to do.

as far as comparing the 416 to the sears no contest the 416 wins imo.

Edited by fourwheels0

Sparky

Your new 312 should handle all your chores just fine. I didn't understand your comment on the 416? Are looking to get a 416 as well?  If its a Kohler single its an awesome combination, an easy to maintain single lung Kohler and the 8 pinion 8 speed tranny. If its an Onan equiped machine its very capable as well, although it needs a bit more maintenance. But other than a 2 stage snowblower your 312 will do it all.

Mike............

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

:WRS:  Scott !

Hey I found a pic of your new Wheel Horse. This pic is one I sent Scott before he drove 2&1/2 hours to my house to pick it up. I did not post this pic in the other thread I started because I thought I had lost it.

Scott you will see in the other thread (started yesterday) where the pic of your tractor has a 10hp MAGNUM engine in it. I had that engine laying around the shop but had not heard it run.  I stuck it in the tractor first as it is the original style engine for what you have. Good thing for you as the 10hp engine smoked really badly and did not have much compression. So out it came and in went the K301 12hp engine that you now have. With the red K301 engine you have a few more cubic inches and two more horse power. That little bit does add up.

So how does Peanut like his new Wheel Horse?

post-5982-0-38275800-1385424351_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Your new 312 should handle all your chores just fine. I didn't understand your comment on the 416? Are looking to get a 416 as well?  If its a Kohler single its an awesome combination, an easy to maintain single lung Kohler and the 8 pinion 8 speed tranny. If its an Onan equiped machine its very capable as well, although it needs a bit more maintenance. But other than a 2 stage snowblower your 312 will do it all.

Mike............

Mike:

Scott sent me pics of the 416 today. It is definitely a M16 Magnum. He wants two Wheel Horses, and I believe he will be able to handle most any LAGT chore with the pair.

ibskot

Van...peanut hasn't been on it yet. We got home last night about 0230. Then I saw that 416 I texted you about then to work. Peanut will get a lot of rides for sure. Thanks for all the help again.

• Like 1

ibskot

Mike............

Mike, the 416 is a kohler magnum.

Here's the thing about a second tractor already. No, I don't collect them. I live on land with my parents. .. the Sears suburban ss18 is kinda mine. It was my dad's. I am trying to serve my needs and his. By getting a second, he can have one to use to pull his wood trailer when we'd cut firewood etc. Trying to help him and myself since I am trying to stop fiddling with the ss18. I am glad it ran one day so I got a video of me driving peanut on it like my dad did me.

So the 416 is as stout? That Onan was great but parts are or can be a bugger. S

ibskot

Mike............

Mike:

Scott sent me pics of the 416 today. It is definitely a M16 Magnum. He wants two Wheel Horses, and I believe he will be able to handle most any LAGT chore with the pair.

Van, need a tiller. Maybe I get one in Pa. Peanut wants to go. He kept saying "yay tractor".

• Like 2

ibskot

What color do you plan to paint your small garden? Just kidding! I don't know much about a 312-8 or a 416-8 but I do know by experience that wheel horses are strong machines. Mark.

Yeah, meant plow a garden. Oops.

953 nut

:WRS:    I am a bit further west in Franklin, NC.

Looks like you may get to use the blade and bucket moving snow the next couple of days. Ask Santa for some tire chains and rear wheel weights, you will need them in snow and ice.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

boovuc

In reading the previous posts, the 416 is a Kohler Magnum which is an updated cast iron K series so you have what Sparky was inferring. " An awesome combination, an easy to maintain single lung Kohler and the 8 pinion 8 speed tranny."

The 416 is a better tractor than your Sears though that Onan powered SS18 is also very capable. The WH 416 is a good replacement machine as is the 310-8 speed with the transplanted 12 horse Kohler. Either or would have worked alone.

I'm not sure if the 416 is heavier than your SS18 but it should be close. The WH has a much easier system for hooking up different implements and since it is newer, there are more implements available.

If the SS18 was getting to the point it wasn't dependable, the you really made a good upgrade. Once you get to know the machine, you'll soon appreciate it's simplicity of design.   

• Like 1

ibskot

:WRS:    I am a bit further west in Franklin, NC.

Looks like you may get to use the blade and bucket moving snow the next couple of days. Ask Santa for some tire chains and rear wheel weights, you will need them in snow and ice.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

I am in Mt. Pleasant. Just North of Charlotte... we don't get too much. Maybe once a year.

Ken B

I agree with the above post, that Sears with its 18hp ain't no wimp. I''ll take the 416 any day though.

Edited by Ken B

oldblue1993

The one thing you gained with going with the horse is one heck of a support group, These guys on here can tell you anything so it can take a lot of the "fooling around" out of the picture. :WRS:

• Like 3

ibskot

I agree with the above post, that Sears with its 18hp ain't no wimp. I''ll take the 416 any day though.

Why?

What is a Mule drive? I keep seeing this.

Trouty56

A mule refers to the pulley system that changes the direction on the belts from the horizontal side pto to the vertical mower system.....it connects to the front of the tractor on the quick attach.....once you see it you will understand it....

Trouty56

The engineers at Wheel Horse could do anything with belts....

• Like 1

ibskot

I will take some pics in the next few days. Supposed to get some weather tomorrow and the next day. Maybe Thursday.

Jrblanke

Congrats on the new tractor! I am from the Weddington/Matthews/Indian Trail area, but live in Raleigh now. I second Old Blue's comments about this place being an excellent support group! Pretty much any question you will have can be answered by these folks. 

Sounds like you picked up a great machine and some awesome implements from these guys!

James

leeave96

I would vote for the 416-8 over the Sears too.

Before I lost my mind and flooded the backyard with tractors, I had two.

IMHO, the two tractor,same series wheelhorse plan is very desirable. You got commonality between tractors, Learn one tractor and apply that knowledge to both, and you always have a backup.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Scott, you've got some good people in your corner. If at all possible get that 416, and we can help get you fitted up with whatever you need (or need to know).

gotta go to work now ;)

ibskot

Scott, you've got some good people in your corner. If at all possible get that 416, and we can help get you fitted up with whatever you need (or need to know).

gotta go to work now ;)

Left a deposit on the 416 and a C series (bad motor) today. I would have brought them home but we got some nastiness out today. So I will go Thursday. Already talking to a guy about buying parts off that Sears SS18. When I get all ready I will post sime pics.

• Like 1