GlenPettit

"Another way to Sell your tractor"

GlenPettit

This was posted on GTtalk;  a person is selling his tractor and posts a Web photo of another perfect 

"almost the same", "just like", factory-new photo of a similar tractor to his, because his own camera is not

working right/scratched lens.  Bet it helps him draw attention to his "not-as-nice" listing;

Edited by nylyon

squonk

I love it. Can't borrow a phone or camera from somebody. Go thru the bother with an ad  and can't display a pic of exactly the item your selling. probably looks like this:

00h0h_1kf5rZx5Y1E_600x450_zps1547dc1b.jp

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Not his photo, not his tractor...

what's wrong with that?

You know you want it. :ychain:  

• Like 2

squonk

I like the ones that say " will post pics tomorrow" No pics and the ad is a month old. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

groundhog47

None of my stuff :wh: is as nice as the worst on here, and whoa on an attempt to upgrade from some one else's hard work is LOW.

Honesty is still the best way to sell, deceit makes something good turn bad, and those deceivers are never forgotten. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

flyovrcntry

This is a good OBO story.I can't remember the details,but it goes something like this.

Add reads Nice tractor @00. OBO.Guy calls says,I will give you 225.

Well ok I guess you can have it.

Can't remember the details,but it really did happen

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:   I would have given at least #00.  :ROTF:   :text-lol:   :ROTF: 

wallfish

How about when they give a very brief description, no pics , no asking price and want people to make offers but no low ballers.

• Like 1

squonk

Saw another good one today on a Bolens. Ad said, "I don't know if it runs"  Well did you try to start it?  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 1

oldblue1993

I will throw the one i ran into in, Said needs minor engine work "probably tune up" got there and it had a hole in the block the size of my fist. Hmm yep some good gas and a plug will fix that right up.

Edited by oldblue1993
  • Like 1

leeave96

I like the ones that are complete junk that are listed for over $1000.  An then there are the ones that say, "Ran when I parked it last year."

• Like 1

SousaKerry

My favorite is when someone sells an item that is used and goes out on the web and finds an add for a new one and pastes a screen shot of the new one....

Yup that's what it looked like xx years ago when they bought it, too bad it don't look like that now and half the parts are missing.

CasualObserver

Some of my favorite ads are the ones that say "runs good, missing carburetor!" :scratchead:

• Like 1

squonk

Another top 10 "Alice Chambers Tractor"  :)

• Like 1

flyovrcntry

Theres one on cl in st Louis now says1984 Wheel Horse,motor blown,everything else works good. :confusion-scratchheadblue: Is that possible? Oh yeah,he only wants 500.

The ones that get me are the ones with no phone number,and I get that. But they don't respond to emails and won't take the add down.Must not get much email .  :bitch:

GlenPettit

Here's another scammer story:

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

"I ran an ad in the Lawn & Garden Tractor magazine. Got a call over today that first got me excited.....then I realized it was TOO good to be true. Problem is, I wanted it to be true, so you tend to try to rationalize it out.

Here's how it went.....I got the model you are looking for. It was my fathers he collected them for over 40 years. He said all the right things...but where he messed up, he tried to push me to make it all happen asap. I told him I travel up into that area and could probably arrange to pick it up, he quickly said I have a friend for 40 years that hauls down your way and he just happens to be going your way this week......it kept getting better.....the truck was actually coming with in 25 miles of my house. All I had to do was pay the freight by western union, and I could write a check  for the tractor and send it to him after I had received the tractor......now why would anyone send a gt hundreds of miles away and only want the freight up front?? Cause all he was hoping to get was the freight.

I sure wanted it to be true, but I did not call him back since I felt it was just a waste of time....bummer.....

I am only posting this so those who may have not already been in this situation can head it off at the pass.......

ALL MY LIFE I HAVE LIVED BY THE CREED IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.  SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Never let someone push you to close a deal. Ask why does it happen to have to be done this fast??? I see it in my business too, the more they push to speed it up, the more I push to slow it down."

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

• Like 4

flyovrcntry

There's a lot of scams on fleabay when you get to the bigger stuff.I got a second chance offer on a boat that I almost went for.He was doing ok until he tried to get me to send the money to a different account.He said he was out of the country on business and couldn't access his ebay account. When you get mail from ebay just delete it then go to your account.Anything on the up and up will be posted there.Don't ever clickon a link in an email and give your password is my best advice.

And CL man they will scam you on there for 20 bucks.

• Like 1

Coadster32

I like when they say they don't know what's wrong with a tractor, yet have 5 or more laying around. They know darn well it's a clunker.

• Like 1

squonk

Another great line. They list the price and say "Won't Last Long"  :)  :)

• Like 1

wallfish

How about

"Very Rare, I have never seen another one"

I've seen this statement used many times on things that are readily available most of the time.

That may have been a good line before this new invention of the the internet, but now you can find almost anything.

Once in a while that statement will hold true but not very often.

• Like 1

flyovrcntry

I had  a friend,he worked on small engines,he was a nice guy,just had to watch him when it came to buying something from him.I told my brother when he say's ,"well the guy I got it from said it was good,I haven't tried it yet" ,that's the time to pass,because he probably tried to start it and it wouldn't or it did and didn't sound too good.That guy could make an engine run if it was missing a piston.

Wheel-N-It

I like the ones that read;

"Runs good, just needs the carb adjusted"  (Well then why don't they adjust it?)

"Runs good, just needs a battery"   (Well then why don't they put a battery in it?)

Or they post a pic of it parked in front of six or seven junk tractors and say "Works good"   (Seriously?)

• Like 1

squonk

Another good one. "Don't need it anymore. Moved to a smaller yard" The pic shows the tractor being sold and also in the pic are 27 other tractors, 6 pushers, a few 4 wheelers, and a couple of half dismembered Trans-Am's/Camaro's and Ford Rangers. all around a house trailer. :)

• Like 3

RMCIII

Saw another good one today on a Bolens. Ad said, "I don't know if it runs"  Well did you try to start it?  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

And that would create then a separate issue. If it did start "running" then you would have to figure out how to "catch" it. What a dilemma.

Edited by RMCIII
  • Like 1

RMCIII

Still like the "OBO" at the end of the add...... I usually wait a couple days, then I will call, and ask what their "best offer" has been so far. If I hear, " you are the first to call", which does happen, my response usually is, I'll give you a dollar, seems to be your best offer so far... LOL

• Like 3