Guest jjs

c161

Guest jjs

good afternoon, I just bought a c161 and I am trying to restore it.  Front wheels have a lot of play, wheels move in and out on the spindle axle and the spindle is loose as well, is this normal or do I have a problem, thanks

flyovrcntry

I would say,look at manual or parts list.You could have the wrong wheels,or something as simple as missing spacer.If the bearing fits the axle,I would say put a spacer in to make up the difference.

rmaynard

:WRS:  Spindles do wear, as well as the holes in the axle where the spindles go through. For the in-out movement, you probably need a couple of shims. As long as the movement within the axle is not too excessive, I wouldn't be too concerned. Spindles are still available new if needed, and the axles can be bored out and bushings installed.

1978wh

If the bearings are not loose on the spindle or wheel hub , you are probably fust missing the spacers.

Wheel-N-It

Welcome to Red Square. I would jump in with some advice, but you have heard from Maynard. He is the expert. Shoot us some pics of your 161 so we can see what kind of shape it is in overall.

Guest jjs

Here it is, I dont have to tell you the parts removed.  I plan on replacing the bearings and see if the play goes away, are these wheel horse bearings or can I pick them up somewhere else, that is at a reasonable price.  thanks

post-12010-0-80949400-1384304498_thumb.j

post-12010-0-07346200-1384304502_thumb.j

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Here it is, I dont have to tell you the parts removed.  I plan on replacing the bearings and see if the play goes away, are these wheel horse bearings or can I pick them up somewhere else, that is at a reasonable price.  thanks

That looks like a very solid foundation for a Great Restoration! :woohoo:  Gotta love any :wh: powered by the big K341 Thumper!! :thumbs: You can buy the 3/4x 1 3/8 wheel bearings for these on :techie-ebay: for about $10 for a set of 4. I'll PM you a link.

Matt :flags-texas:

Edited by bowtiebutler956

W/H JUNKY

Hi jjs

This is just my personal preference but I like to use brass thrust washers between the inside of the rim and the spindle and one on the outside between the rim and the cotter pin. I get them from Ace Hardware or Gilroys Hardware. Gilroys calls them brass bearing and Ace calls them Brass thrust washers. They come in different thicknesses so you can take up alittle or alot of space if needed. Also these will wear before the harder metal will. Hope this helps. Chris.

Wheel-N-It

You can pick up the wheel bearings at NAPA. I don't know the part number of the top iof my head. Just knock out the old bearings and take them to NAPA. The guys there will cross reference some for you.

JC 1965

Good looking tractor. I really like the C-160 model. If you find that your spindles need to be replaced, you can pm kelly ( he is a vender on here ) I purchased a pair of spindles from him with very little wear, and at a very good price. He is a great guy to deal with. Hope this helps !!     :hide:

Guest jjs

thank you for the help, bearings replaced, much better.  Now on to the hood, lower corner rusted through, as in holes.  I am a pretty good welder but the hood and too many curved recesses, i guess we are at the bond or fiberglass stage, but hate to go there.  Any thoughts?

jjs

jjs

I need help Wheelhorse fans! I have a c161 with a kohler k341as, battery ignition, that I am restoring and presently trying to put back together. The rectifier has 3 tabs, but there are 4 wires coming out of the engine (stator). Yes I know, take better notes next time, any ideas on how to figure out what goes where?

jjs

ok, nearly done.  I am looking for a 42" deck, the one that came with it is mostly holes, any suggestions?  thanks

post-12224-0-87047300-1401239124.jpg

Sparky

ok, nearly done.  I am looking for a 42" deck, the one that came with it is mostly holes, any suggestions?  thanks

Not sure where Niskayuna is (is it a real place :scratchead:  ) but scroll thru the classifieds right here on Redsquare. Maybe post a wanted ad as well.

Mike...........

mrc

hello sir,  end play for wheels is .000-..015 per the wh manual.  i use different thickness shims to get the right amount of end play. i like the above mentioned brass thrust washer idea from chris.   best regards   mike in mass.