cable1hussler

Predator engine swap affecting value

cable1hussler

post-11874-0-29931600-1382496956_thumb.jI recently purchased a 603 in rather nice condition. After I brought it home I played around in the yard, showed it to my neighbor, washed it and put it away. I started it 2 days later to realize it was spewing an oily gas mixture from the breather valve. I believe this engine will need rebuilt, and I would like to sell this tractor in running condition. I have two  6 hp Tecumsehs for parts in addition to the one on the tractor. In order to keep a decent value on the tractor and make a little cash do you think people will want it if I put a Predator engine on it and include the 3 other motors.  What is a reasonable asking price for the tractor with 3 motors that need work without a new motor compared to with the new motor installed. Best guesses accepted.

Edited by cable1hussler

slammer302

I don't know how much it would hurt the value a running wheel horse is better than one not running I would never swap a Kohler out for a predator but I swap Tecumseh out with predators the run good and smooth and have good power for the money here's a couple I've done

post-6211-138249771643_thumb.jpg

post-6211-138249773683_thumb.jpg

cable1hussler

Im really leaning towards the predator swap. Any Idea what it would be worth after, including the 3 parts motors?

cable1hussler

I like what you've done with yours. A little red paint goes a long way on the one on the right!

slammer302

Does the muffler come through the hood

slammer302

When it comes down to it wheel horse people r always looking for the great deal so I find its hard to sale a mower for its full value its hard to put a value on other people stuff to but on that note I sold a 857 for 265$ and it was in rough shape it smoke and was wore out but on the other hand I've seen WH set on craigslist at what I thought were fair prices and nobody buy them so its a crap shoot

slammer302

What state do you live in that seems to make a differents in value to if you live were WH are every were there not as valuable

cable1hussler

Muffler comes through the hood but someone cut out a small hole for the pipe. I live in northeast Ohio.

CasualObserver

I'll add in here I don't think you can get the Predator engine on a round hood without doing some more damage to the hood. The other swap shown in the next style hood, was a little wider at the base... that's why it fit.

As for a selling price...am I missing something here? Unless you got the tractor at a steal to begin with.... you're not likely to make money on this one in my opinion.  You bought a running tractor, that now needs engine work.  You want to sell it.  I'm going to guess you know the market price for your area... you just paid it.  I would think you're going to have a hard enough time getting your own purchase price back, let alone a profit... now add in the cost of another running engine?

You said you have the two other engines... I think I'd just put on another carb, change the oil and clean the crankcase breather and see what that does.

• Like 3

cable1hussler

Sounds like a good idea, I wanted to change out the carb anyway. I believe I still got a good deal on the tractor regardless of the need for engine work so turning a profit shouldn't be a problem. Just looking for guesses on value with or without the engine swap. Thanks for the heads up about the predator possibly not fitting in a 603.

cable1hussler

post-11874-0-87702900-1383011842_thumb.jpost-11874-0-61040500-1383011859_thumb.jpost-11874-0-77942200-1383011872_thumb.jI just finished the predator 212 swap in my 603. Went pretty well, I ended up using a shorter belt and mounting the engine further back to make it fit under the hood. I removed the old gas tank and shortened the bracket that holds it. I used a 1/4 inch mounting plate and found a 3/4 pulley that works pretty good. The only thing left to do is take a few inches off the cover plate to make it fit.  The engine started right up and runs smooth and quiet. My only complaint is the bowl on the carb is leaking from the drain plug and the mounting screw. It looks like the gaskets are pretty much worthless, so I'll change those out and see what happens.

Uncle Buck

I really like this thread!

Team70R

What pulley does everyone use!? Looking to pick up a predator this weekend, just don't know what pulley to get!

fast88pu

IMG-20150531-00034.jpg

IMG-20150524-00022.jpg

IMG-20150722-00080.jpg

• Like 2