Sign in to follow this  
LFDRET

Jerky Eaton Transmission

LFDRET

I just bought a C-125 for my brother. The transmission is very strong, but the problem is that when you shift into forward or reverse or even move the lever to go faster, the transmission jerks very badly. Does not move smoothly like other transmissions I have had in the past. This is an Eaton transmission. My question is there an easy fix to make this start out smoother like it should? Its at the point that he doesn't even think he wants the tractor. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be and some possible solutions? 

SousaKerry

First things first, when was the oil and filter last changed in the tranny?  I know there are acceleration valves inside witch can become gummed up and sticky, but I have not had one apart to tell you how to do this.  There is a good manual on these transmissions in the manuals section

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1261-transmission-automatic-eaton-11-1100/

Edited by SousaKerry

Martin

The Eaton in my GT1848 is the same, look at the shift linkage on top of the pump(under the seat pan)....

Probably binding up,or sticking when the lever is moved.

squonk

I had the same problem after replacing the 1100 trans on Marvin. Lubeing the cam and plate helped a lot. Also check the eccentric cam for wear. My cam was worn and digging into the plate.

LFDRET

Thanks guy's

I called my brother and we are going to try all your suggestions next Wed. I will post results.

thanks 

Bill

chdinct

Not totally sure what you mean by transmission jerking, but I was having a similar problem with my 520 with an Eaton tranny.  When moving the tranny from neutral to forward or reverse, it had a dead spot, then would jerk into "gear" or lung forward, unless you were real careful and moved the lever verrrrry slooooowly.  It got to the point it made mowing a real chore, especially every time I went from forward to reverse or vice versa, which is a lot for my yard.  

Long story short, it turned out to be worn hubs.  The slot where the key fits was worn such that there was maybe 15* of play in the hub before the axle engaged it.  I replaced both hubs and it's like new again.  I was almost ready to give up mowing with it and just use it to pull stuff, but she's back in business - well almost - trying to figure out now why it shreds engine to mower deck belts about every 3 months.  

pfrederi

Not totally sure what you mean by transmission jerking, but I was having a similar problem with my 520 with an Eaton tranny.  When moving the tranny from neutral to forward or reverse, it had a dead spot, then would jerk into "gear" or lung forward, unless you were real careful and moved the lever verrrrry slooooowly.  It got to the point it made mowing a real chore, especially every time I went from forward to reverse or vice versa, which is a lot for my yard.  

Long story short, it turned out to be worn hubs.  The slot where the key fits was worn such that there was maybe 15* of play in the hub before the axle engaged it.  I replaced both hubs and it's like new again.  I was almost ready to give up mowing with it and just use it to pull stuff, but she's back in business - well almost - trying to figure out now why it shreds engine to mower deck belts about every 3 months.  

Check that you belt doesn't rub on the reinforcing plate on top of the deck.  Look just to the left of the center pulley and see if the reinforcing plate is worn/polished by the belt.  On two of my 48" decks I had to grind a notch in the edge of the plate to jeep the belt from rubbing.

Callen

Check your frame to transmission mounting plate for cracks

chdinct

Check that you belt doesn't rub on the reinforcing plate on top of the deck.  Look just to the left of the center pulley and see if the reinforcing plate is worn/polished by the belt.  On two of my 48" decks I had to grind a notch in the edge of the plate to jeep the belt from rubbing.

I think you're right on with your observation.  I did see that that vertical plate is shinny like the belt rubbed the paint off of it.  When the belts go, I can see that it's abbraided on the side of the belt that runs right above that plate so I know it's catching something on that side of the belt.  Think I'll pull the deck off and get the grinder out.  But why after all these years would the belt start making contact with the reinforcement plate?  Can the center double pulley wear down somehow that the pulley itself rides lower to the deck???  I don't that that plate grew any over the years.   :)

pfrederi

I think you're right on with your observation.  I did see that that vertical plate is shinny like the belt rubbed the paint off of it.  When the belts go, I can see that it's abbraided on the side of the belt that runs right above that plate so I know it's catching something on that side of the belt.  Think I'll pull the deck off and get the grinder out.  But why after all these years would the belt start making contact with the reinforcement plate?  Can the center double pulley wear down somehow that the pulley itself rides lower to the deck???  I don't that that plate grew any over the years.   :)

I really do not know why they rub.  I am guessing in my case it is because I mow the grass with the deck at its highest position on the wheel adjuster. 

chdinct

I really do not know why they rub.  I am guessing in my case it is because I mow the grass with the deck at its highest position on the wheel adjuster. 

Same here, but have always mowed at the highest setting.  Anyway, thanks for the help.  Good to know I was (or I think I was) on the right track. 

bubbacola

I just bought a C-125 for my brother. The transmission is very strong, but the problem is that when you shift into forward or reverse or even move the lever to go faster, the transmission jerks very badly. Does not move smoothly like other transmissions I have had in the past. This is an Eaton transmission. My question is there an easy fix to make this start out smoother like it should? Its at the point that he doesn't even think he wants the tractor. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be and some possible solutions? 

I had same thing with my tractor.. C175 twin auto It was so jecky I didnt use for over a year. I needed to use this tractor so I bought a used pump on EBay put it in to my surprize it did not help much a little better but still jecky I used it to blow snow for the winter Thinking I would just get a used trans right out of a tractor.... Well it too was jecky.. Damn. I change cam and plate, oil and filter still jecky but getting better..

I found this topic and started reading ...  Chdint said check hubs my was tight.. Callen said check frame .. my was cracked so I had it welded. this helped a lot not as jecky when you first start moving but still jecky as you go faster like power shifting the old 396 nova thru the gears.. so now the fix.. I again changed oil and filter this time I used Mobil 1 10w30.  This did the trick I ran it around for about 5 min and it became butter. This trans is so smooth its like a new tractor.

sharing my story hope it helps others

Thanks Bernie

• Like 1