Sign in to follow this  
shallowwatersailor

Multiple 5xi Owner

shallowwatersailor

I have got to stop looking at tractors and equipment for sale in MD, PA, and VA! I found another 520-H for sale one week ago but paused too long and it was sold. This week the guy had a 520xi for sale. It is minus a deck but came with the updated mule drive (the deck was pretty beat up anyway so I passed on it) and grass encrusted. After about an hour of pressure and hand washing it looks like this.

DSCF9200_zpse745b1c2.jpgDSCF9201_zps622ada51.jpgDSCF9202_zpscf5483dc.jpgDSCF9204_zps8ef443ce.jpg

It needs some adjustment on the hydro as it creeps backwards, the battery light is on although it is charging, and the hood has a good size dent in it. The paint should buff out so it shouldn't need more than a touch up. Hard to believe that I paid 1/5th for this one as the 518xi. On a quick note, I can finally compare between and a 518xi and 520xi. Right away, the steering wheel is a lot nicer. Oh - And "Go Bears!"

leeave96

Very nice!

Those tractors look really BIG in those pics.

I remember setting on one of those a few years after I bought my 314-8 back in '98. Nice machine.

Foozerush

Nice Horses........ Bear Down!!!

AMC RULES

Looks like a nice set of twins you've got there John.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

JackC

Nice pair.

AMC RULES

I'm so jealous.   :bow-blue: 

GlenPettit

Outstanding !

RMCIII

John:

What do you mean by upgraded mule drive? I was not aware that a different mule drive was available for the XI series. Also, what is the difference in steering wheel?

Rob

shallowwatersailor

John:

What do you mean by upgraded mule drive? I was not aware that a different mule drive was available for the XI series. Also, what is the difference in steering wheel?

Rob

Rob,

My dealer made mention that at one point Toro upgraded the mule drive on the 5xi. My 518xi is a 1998 shown on the left while the 2000 520xi is on the right. The tension knob is on the front on the older version versus the bottom on the newer version. The dealer mentioned that when Toro upgraded or retrofitted, it was a large box indicating more than just parts were replaced. It probably was the complete assembly.

DSCF9207_zps22ce6816.jpgDSCF9192_zps4b881a5a.jpg

I have never had a problem with the drive on the 518xi. It does have the quick release rod in front, but I have never found it to release enough and end up loosening the tension knob anyway. The 520xi's drive appears much simpler but I have not tried it. On another note, the dealer also mentioned that the plated hoop on 5xi 48" decks has a tendency to eat belts and the solution is to remove it.

By the way, I once again join the ranks of owners looking for accessories for the 5xi. The search begins for a rear Attach-A-Matic for the 520xi as I think that will be used for snow duty. It has about 200 additional hours than the 518xi on the clock. There is less time driving straight than going around in circles. :)

John

jackhammer

Nice find - cleaned up well.

Bears on tonight  -  Fox channel 7 pm central

RMCIII

John:

So I am guessing then the left right indicators, for proper tension when the belt enters and then exits the drive, is what I see in the very front? Sure would make sense. That is a pain to go from side to side trying to align the indicators. I like the upgrade. Doubt I could find that today.

Rob