Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Horse Kid

Need help with removing oxidation from Wheel Horse paint.

Wheel Horse Kid

Hi All,

I bought a 1974 B80 with a 36" deck a couple months ago that I am going to refresh (decals, tires, seat, etc) and make into a mowing tractor. The motor is locked up, but I have another 8 HP Kohler from a 800 Special that I am going to put into it.

Overall, the tractor is in great shape (would give it a 7 or 8 out of 10) for it's age (I would say it has been stored inside for most of it's life) and has very little paint chipping, scratches, or surface rust on it.

However, the paint is very dull looking and has alot of oxidation on it (the paint has a faint white look to it from the oxidation). I tested out a spot with some Turtle Wax Color Back polish and that really did not help the color at all. I really hate to take it all apart and have to sand blast and paint the tractor since it is going to be a worker, plus I would like to keep it original looking as possible.

With that being said, I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions on how to remove the oxidation from the paint and get somewhat of a shine on the tractor? Also, do you guys agree that the paint is original or do you think it has been repainted at some point in time?

Here are a couple pictures of the B80:

IMG_3900_zpse0c08325.jpg

IMG_3882_zpsdf5f071f.jpg

IMG_3881_zps7c1fbf53.jpg

IMG_3885_zps621a1ce8.jpg

Thanks!

Taylor

Jake Kuhn

That is in really nice shape Taylor! Don't see many like that. I can't help with your question, but looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Wheel Horse Kid

That is in really nice shape Taylor! Don't see many like that. I can't help with your question, but looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Thanks for the compliment Jake! I would say that it is probably the nicest original I have come across so far. I was originally going to sell it or part it out, but then decided I better keep it for myself! LOL! It even has an hour meter and also headlights, which I believe where both options (not standard) for the B80. Should make a great mowing tractor once I go through it.

Martin

I wouldn't touch it at all, just fix any mechanical stuff and leave it at that......

If you do make it look nice and end up working it often, I bet eventually you will wish you'd left it the way it looks now......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

specialwheelhorse

Got a good friend that swears by Lemon pledge.

Might take a few coats, but you sure can't hurt it to try.

VERY NICE would have been a shame to part.

JIM in Texas

AMC RULES

Either one of these two products are excellent oxidization removers. 

Wax on, wax off glasshoppa.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

post-3498-0-63432400-1373308476_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-48462000-1373308513_thumb.jp

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Very likely it is the original factory paint job, since you can see where the decals have been removed.  Should be the original color on the spots that have always been covered.  The above polishes should really help.  Very nice tractor, was very well cared for, first time I've seen the deflector still on the mower deck and in perfect condition.  

Did you get original manuals, or any parts or papers with it, worth still asking (?).

Edited by GlenPettit

varosd

looks nice!

rims look brand new!  

As above, you could use some polishing compound etc but remember its almost 40 yrs old so careful no don't go down to bare metal!!

squonk

Try some of that nu finish at a very small spot. If a shine doesn't come back nothing will work besides a repaint.

Wheel Horse Kid

Thanks for all the suggestions and compliments everyone! I really appreciate them! I am going to try some of your suggestions to bring the paint back and hopefully it will work. If not, I think I am going to leave it as is. I think that I would more harm than good by repainting it. I am ,however, going to fix and repair alot of stuff that needs it so it will be in top working condition again! Have kinda been making a list of things that I would like to do it over the summer. I will have to do it in stages as I have been buying alot of tractors lately and cash is kinda tight now. LOL! I want to make sure that I keep it as stock as possible though.

I was thinking about it today some and I might get a new 8 hp Kohler Mini Block for it instead of putting another used motor in it as I feel the tractor is in nice enough condition to justify doing something like that. I will have to think that one over some more though as a mini block will probably cost about $300. I also thought about rebuilding the original motor, but I am thinking that buying a new mini block instead would be a little cheaper (once you include the machine work) and less time consuming. I plan on starting the refresh on the B-80 in a couple of weeks and will start another thread when I begin that. It will be great to get this one going as right now I am mowing with a Simplicity Broadmoor (is about my only tractor that is running with a deck on it) and I sure do miss mowing with a Wheel Horse!!!!

Very likely it is the original factory paint job, since you can see where the decals have been removed.  Should be the original color on the spots that have always been covered.  The above polishes should really help.  Very nice tractor, was very well cared for, first time I've seen the deflector still on the mower deck and in perfect condition.  

Did you get original manuals, or any parts or papers with it, worth still asking (?).

Unfortunately, I bought it at a consignment sale and did not get any manuals or papers with it. :( I am sure the previous owner had a nice collection of stuff for it though. I am guessing it was an older gentleman who had it and when the motor took a dump, he just decided to sell it instead of fixing it up. I paid $300 for it which was probably a bit much considering it was non running (Had a little auction fever at the time), but once I get it going and fixed up, I think I will have a pretty nice tractor to mow and push snow with.

BOWTIE

Hello, the beast way is run a buffer over the paint, 1500-2300 rpm with a polishing pad. I don't use rubbing compound I use DuPont #7 or just a mild polish. You need some rpm so can generate a little heat. Just be careful. try it on a old car if you can.  I have had some amazing results. I just finish one today, I have posted picture for the last 2 weeks,  good luck

bowtie

Wheel Horse Kid

Thanks for the suggestion Bowtie! I will definitely consider going that route.