Wishin4a416

Overcharging here too

Save Old Iron

well, let's see

you will need at least a 24 volt transformer rated at 2 or 3 amps. A HVAC transformer used in home heating should suffice.

Hook up one of the secondary leads of the transformer to the regulator lead (not sure what color - look on the wiring diagram for the one that goes to the stator)

connect the other transformer lead to the ground connection on the back of the regulator.

Hook  the positive lead of the reg to a 12 volt battery positive terminal and the ground connection of the regulator to the battery negative.

Power it up, You should see 13.8 or higher on the battery terminals.

Trying to see what the current output of the regulator is might be difficult as the transformer would only supply 2 to 3 amps anyway.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1

Lagersolut

I just fixed the voltmeter on my 310-8 and it also charges at 16 volts plus - this 3 amp charging system has me confused , I understand it has a separate stator for the lights putting out AC current - was thinking of adding tail lights , how can this be done with AC current  ?

I'm really on the fence whether to change this over to the 15 amp or get the diodes , I too put a new battery out of another tractor on and it did nothing - downloaded the operators manual and from the " wording " in the electrical section , Wheel horse was well aware of this problem at places even stating it could charge between 14-16 volts .

Lagersolut

I suspect this regulator has an internal diode as there is no other in the parts lists for this 190407-3125 8hp B&S engine that I can see.

This B&S chart has the regulator identified as H and this application is 5 amp.

They list a diode OR regulator in the chart 

691955 is a diode

691188 replaced by 794360 is the regulator

They are looking for 28 volts AC minimum at the stator.

Need to look and see if I have an AC transformer to test this.

Thoughts?

Garry

Gary  did you get a chance to test this regulator , I've been reading up one side of the internet ( and the forum ) and down the other on this over charging issue .

Installed Diodes that seemed to help for a short time but went right back to 16 volts - had a 3 prong rectifier/regulator here for a 15 amp system I tried on the charge side of the stator to no avail.....16 volts   ......34 volts coming off the stator charge wire