Catt

Wheel Horse Rear Crane

Catt

I bought a pickup truck crane and plan to use it on my 418-A  to move docks at the cabin. I added a rear 2" receiver and mounted the crane to a receiver extension so it can be easily removed. The receiver is attached to a tiller mount and also has bracing to the old hitch mount on the lower portion of the axle.  Seems pretty strong.

post-9873-0-28522000-1369005218_thumb.jp

post-9873-0-41768000-1369005242_thumb.jp

post-9873-0-38809500-1369005250_thumb.jp

• Like 4

312Hydro

Very Nice! I'm not familiar with moving docks. Do you need to add counterweight to the front?

953 nut

I'm with 312Hydro on this one, you can't defy the laws of physics. You can do wheelies with a tiller mounted on a :wh: and if you hang anything heavy on that boom you will have an interesting ride. Please have a vidio camera going and post it!

:USA: 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:    :text-goodpost:

:wwp:

• Like 1

Catt

This is an example of one of the docks that I put in the lake.  It's aluminum and has wheels out in the water and although it isn't extremely heavy, it's still a job with one person.  It goes in the lake once in spring and out in the fall.

You're right about front weight.  I have suitcase weights ready and will likely be adding weight to the front.

post-9873-0-23091900-1369007437.jpg

Catt

I will likely buy a snow plow attachment and take off the the blade and use the plow frame. Then I plan to add a receiver hitch and the capability to add suitcase weights to the end of the plow frame.  The receiver hitch might be nice to move trailers and would have hydraulic lift when connecting to the trailer.

cheesegrader

If you figure out how to easily move a boat lift in and out, let me know,  I would love to see that!

Once you get it started, your setup should work just fine.

Those aluminum docks aren't as heavy as they look, and the wheels really help.

Getting it started, especially if it has sunk into the muck, can bee a little difficult.

I would love to see a video.

A live demonstration here in Watersmeet would be great, too!

Catt

I think I'll also put an electric winch on the plow frame.  I have a lot of trees I can attach to when pulling out the docks.

Catt

Cheesegrader, you're right about getting it started pulling it out.  I think the winch will help if needed.  I have bar tires that I'm planning to try but their larger and may not fit.

Don1977

Check out this weight bracket:

Here is my front bumper it's not a weight bracket. I found that by putting 1/2" spacers behind the bars that it will allow room the mule drive.

2009-06-06003.jpg

fireman

One of two things are going to happen when you go to lift something of substantial weight. Those two pieces of red angle iron that mount the hitch are gonna bend like a cheap suit with all the torque that will be applied or the front end will lift or flip as the fulcrum is at the axle. I would suggest adding a crank down jack of some type right at the base of the crane to give it some stability. Something along these lines for example:

post-1626-0-82733800-1369010021_thumb.jp

• Like 2

stevebo

Fireman makes a good point here. Only issue is I think he wants it to be mobile.... Maybe something with a wheel. Maybe a wheelie bar coming off the boom?

fireman

I re-read his original post and see that he did add bracing to the original hitch so that may be ok. Using it in a mobile application I would definitely add a ton of weigh to the front end.

squonk

Don't forget the stress on the frame where the trans bolts on. Major weak point on :wh: 's

• Like 1

Catt

Those are great ideas!  I hadn't really considered anything heavier than docks, but a couple wheels and jacks would certainly be interesting.

Regarding the receiver hitch... The angle iron is primarily for pulling, but does offer limited torsional strength. What you can't see is the additional supports on the bottom of the hitch that attach to the axle (I couldn't get good pictures of those supports).  I've done testing and am pretty confident it will lift a dock (but there is always Murphy's law).

The first picture is of a dead lift off the ground with no additional front weight (but it's needed!). The suit case weights are from another of my tractors and weigh 40 lbs each. The 3 point hitch bracket weighs around 50 lbs. Total weight 210 lbs.

In the second picture I added two additional 40 lbs weights, but I couldn't do a dead lift and keep the front of the tractor down even though I added 40 lbs.  Total 290 lbs.

The third picture shows if there is any angle iron deflection with 290 lbs. I'm expecting the dock to not be more than 150 lbs.

post-9873-0-03211800-1369013817_thumb.jp

post-9873-0-36214300-1369013824_thumb.jp

post-9873-0-90836500-1369013829_thumb.jp

fireman

Looks like a real nice job! You should be ok then if that's all your planning to do with it.

Catt

Fireman, I truly appreciate your input and hope this works for me.  It's always good to get other people looking at what I've done and offer their suggestions for improvement. Your idea of a jack might be useful for other projects and is a good suggestion!

SousaKerry

I would suggest an angle grinder and some red paint for those weights, your horse may decide to throw a rod from the embarrasment of having to wear those green weights around....

Tankman

Now that is great work! Very useful.

I would add suitcase weights up front. I needed them for plowing (10" earth engaging). Lost a lot, sometimes all, ability to steer.

Very nice again! Thanks for posting the pic's!

Catt

I purchased a snow plow that was made for a newer Toro / Wheel Horse. Removed the plow and used the frame to make a receiver hitch for the front.  It has a lift mount near the front of the frame and I also added the hydraulic lift near the middle of the frame. I have a second set of rims coming and lug tires. Will also brace the frame.

Here are a couple pictures of the progress I've made.

Pardon the green!

post-9873-0-34153900-1370815397_thumb.jp

post-9873-0-71111100-1370815414_thumb.jp

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

I like the idea...except of course, for all that green paint.   :) 

• Like 1

dsholler

You can use that deck to trim the hedges!  :)

• Like 1

brandonozz

Looks great but I'm not familiar with lifting docks out of the water so I too am interested in a video or pics. There will be a couple of factors to keep in mind when lifting the docks out of the water.  The grade of the slope you are working on and the length of the boom.  If you extend the boom to get further out it will greatly increase the leverage of the item your lifting.  Additionally if the tractor is facing uphill the load will be more perpendiclar to the boom effectively increasing the loads leverage while the front of the tractor will be the opposite.  Maybe in this case the slope wont be enough to make a difference.

Saw this happen with a forklift before when an extension boom was attached to the forks.  The forklift capacity is greatly reduced - end result was not good. 

CasualObserver

I just remembered... I saved these pics of a home made setup for pulling out docks.  It was on craigslist a year or two ago around me. I had no real interest in it, but did save the pics.  Kind of looks like he built his own winch out of what looks like it might be a tiller gear box.

homemadewinch1.jpg

homemadewinch2.jpg

Edited by CasualObserver
restored pictures

953 nut
On 6/10/2013 at 4:15 PM, CasualObserver said:

I just remembered... I saved these pics of a home made setup for pulling out docks.  It was on craigslist a year or two ago around me. I had no real interest in it, but did save the pics.  Kind of looks like he built his own winch out of what looks like it might be a tiller gear box.

homemadewinch1.jpg

homemadewinch2.jpg

This should be filed under Rube Goldberg in the new home built forum.   :text-lol: