Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

Ring Seating

MalMac

Getting ready to re-assemble a Kohler K. I was thinking about putting in Synthetic oil in it. I have heard that you should use regular motor oil in it first to help seat the rings. Has anybody ever heard of this before?

sorekiwi

Yup, I've always been told that too.

On ourt (automotive) engines at work, we build and, break them in on the dyno with non-synthetic.

specialwheelhorse

Kohler recomends non-d 20 the first half hour then change to30 non-d the next four and a half.

That first five hours should be with some load. Then after five total hours change again to

whatever you prefer within Kohler recomendations.

Jim in Texas

MalMac

On all the other Kohlers I have done that's the way I broke them in. I was just thinking about using synthetic in this one and was not sure about using it to break them in. I have never used synthetic in a engine before. Actually I have not had any problems with the oil I have used all these years. Thought maybe I might try to come into the modern world even though its scary place.

• Like 2

JackC

"Actually I have not had any problems with the oil I have used all these years."

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?  The extra you pay for synthetic may not be worth it for small engine applications.