Kelly

Changed trans fluid in eaton 1100

Kelly

My main work tractor is a pieced together 520H it's mostly a 1993  but the engine came from a Ingersoll but with a few parts swapping it fit, I have 26x12x12 ags in it 200lbs of suit case weights hanging on the back, and I use the crap out of this tractor, it's ugly but I love it, it uses some oil, but I just keep it full, anyways, I was plowing snow last week at my house then took it to my sons house to plow so it was plowing for about 4 hours 6+" of wet heavy snow, when the trans temp light came on, first time ever that happened, so I parked it for 20 min. and finished 45 min. of plowing the light came back on at the end, so I decided to change the trans fluid and filter, and while I was at it change the leaking axles seals, this poor tractor does not get the respect it deserves, I work it like a dog, well when I pulled the rear tires I see the fan is missing, the bolt had broke off in the end of the pump shaft that holds it on, no idea how long that has been missing??? I got lucky I drilled the bolt and used a easy out on it, it came right out, so I grabbed another fan and installed that, pulled the hubs one was junk it had a bad keyway, so I picked out another one, then on to removing the seals, hydro seals can be a pain because they are about 1/2" wide, and these came out very hard, it took about 45 min. to get both out, the new seals are not that wide, only 1/4" but I was please this set was metal, the last ones I picked up were plastic, I also figured it was a good time to put new woodruff keys in the axles,  I spent 3 days trying to find some, I got one, but no others to be had local, so for now I put a used one back in, and I ordered 50 new keys so I should have them the next time I need one, and while I had it in the shop I figured it was a good time to check bolts, and was a good thing I found loose bolts all over the thing, nothing falling apart but not real tight, the trans had reg motor oil in it, and was still pretty clean, but had been almost 4 years since I changed it last, I bought Mobil 1 10w30 to put in it like my other tractors, I have a few filters so when I grabbed one, I remembered I bought a bunch of stuff from a guy and got some hydro filters for other brands, so I checked every one fit like it was made for it, Cub, JD and Simplicity, and they are all hydro filters, so my work tractor now has a Simplicity filter on it, before I did anything to the tractor I started it, and like most every time I had to let it set, before it would lift the blade, it was 25 deg outside, and it took almost 5 min. before it would pick the blade up, well now with the Mobil 1 in it, it lifts instantly, it's only 35 out right now, but I know it would still take a few min. before even at that temp, I should have done this a long time ago, like I have my other tractors, but like I said this tractor gets very little respect.

• Like 2

Kevbo

Great story Kelly! I took your advice and have bought Mobil 1 synthentic ATF or 10W-30 for all my hydros. The GT-1800 will get some 10W-30 this weekend :handgestures-thumbupright:  I would love to see pics of your worker by the way! :)

Kelly

Not much to look at but here it is,  but it is a working beast.

100_3241.jpg

100_3054.jpg

• Like 1

Kevbo

Very nice!! :bow-blue:

MalMac

When I changed my 520 over to Mobil one the transmission delay time went away for the most part also. Don't know if it is because it's just new oil in there or the fact it's Mobil one syn. Anyway it makes a whole big improvement on the operation of the tractor.

JackC

It looks mean not ugly.  Good info on the synthetic oil.  There must have been snow or ice build up around the fan that caused the bolt to break.  The huge tires on the back may have reduced the clearance around the fan and may have been a contributing factor?  Good thing the temp sensor was working.

Hydro

I've been using Castrol 5W-30 in my hydro now for two summers and this is the second winter.  There is no warm up time needed although I do let it run up a bit.  I think next change will be Mobil 1 5W-30. 

can whlvr

my 1100 eaton came with tranny fluid from previous owner and no warm up time even at very cold temps,this thread makes me want to change my fluids

MalMac

Here is a service bulletin that has been on RS before. For those of you that has not seen it. It has some good info in it concerning cold weather problems with some of the Eaton 11's.

Toro91-presGT _GT19 Eaton 11 Transmission Cold prime loss (1).pdf

dcrage

Any thoughts on why my 1987 418-A with an Eaton 1100 isn't mentioned in this service bulletin??

Rock farmer

That seems to be a warranty procedure. maybe an 87' was too old to be covered when that came out?

Joe

Kelly

Well quick update, it was 23 deg here today, and the tractor has sat in the cold barn almost 2 weeks with out being started, I went out fired it up, and with in 20 sec. of starting it I could lift the blade very quickly, and the pump did not whine like it all ways used to, I'm very happy with the Mobil1 again, well worth the $25 for 5qts. 

B-8074

I use Mobil one also and I'm due for an oil change. I have a guestion, can a temp sensor be easily added to my Eaton 1100 on a C-175?

MalMac

I don't think the housing on the 175 is drilled and tapped. Might be able to put one in a line somewhere or "T" into a steel line fitting coming off the transmission. Don't know if that would give an accurate reading or not. Sure someone will chime in here that knows.