Sign in to follow this  
70sVintageTrikes

Wheel-Horse

70sVintageTrikes

Hi guys. Im new to the GT scene. My name is Kellen. I been collecting "1970s Vintage Trikes" for about 4-5yrs. Now im getting addicted to GT's.

My first GT was a Gambles LM-18 Red Rider w/deck. Then I picked up a Sears & Roebuck David Bradley w/plow,disk,2 dozer blades, and deck. 

Now today I picked up a Wheel-Horse w/front mount blade, deck, and trailer. I am curious to the year it was made and what model it is called. I can post motor numbers if thats one way to tell year. It appears to have a HH55 alum. block Tec. Motor. Not sure if that is correct for machine or not but it looks like it belongs on it to me.

Any help/info would be great to hear/see. Thanks in advance.

post-9674-0-81497400-1362359294.jpg

post-9674-0-93805100-1362359311.jpg

post-9674-0-22757500-1362359336.jpg

post-9674-0-71501000-1362359357.jpg

post-9674-0-73147300-1362359375.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

:WRS:

I'm terrible at figuring out the round hoods but I'll guess anyways. I think its a 1961 501.

Mike.............

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: Nice tractor! That is actually a 60 550. The lauson 5.5 hp is the correct motor for it. It even came with an original wheel horse ltd24 dump cart, what a nice find!

rmaynard

It's definitely the wrong shade of red. :lol:

Welcome to RedSquare.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

70sVintageTrikes

Thanks Guys. So it looks like a 1960 "Suburban" 550 then. Correct?

KC9KAS

:WRS:  And please paint it red!

70sVintageTrikes

I will paint it red when the time comes.. I got one heck of a machine list and things to do to them.

Also Im looking for a xtra set of 6-12 rear tires to put duals on my David Bradley Suburban 725. If anyone is some what close to Nebraska and has some to offer, please leave me some details. Thanks

70sVintageTrikes

Here is the mounting points on front of tractor and back of blade. My ? is, Does this look correct and or what am I missing? Im confused every time I look at it....

post-9674-0-79295600-1362365286.jpg

post-9674-0-20943200-1362365308.jpg

post-9674-0-11174900-1362365327.jpg

Shuboxlover

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You're practically my neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should not worry about it and sell it to me!!!!!!!

Where did you find that thing???  :banghead:  :hide:   I want one of those SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tires....do you want ags, or just turfs???

70sVintageTrikes

Shuboxlover- email me your name and number about tires.

civic__95@hotmail.com

chazm

Welcome to :rs:

Nice tractor

Chas

70sVintageTrikes

Where can a person locate a set of 3 rib front tires like this?

post-9674-0-04338500-1362368718_thumb.jp

welderman85

nice looking score i have seen them on ebay or you could check out miller tire.

70sVintageTrikes

Thanks. I just found them at miller tire right before I seen your post.

nice looking score i have seen them on ebay or you could check out miller tire.

70sVintageTrikes

Here is one of the front wheels. I figure a tube will be no help after I blast it at 150 psi and a half inch tip...

post-9674-0-50720300-1362449137.jpg

coolhandblack

wow this tractor will be sharp when fixed up!

gwest_ca

Here is the mounting points on front of tractor and back of blade. My ? is, Does this look correct and or what am I missing? Im confused every time I look at it....

Blade model will be HD-42 or BD-4261. Open the Manuals here and then dozer blades - both manuals are on the 1st page.

Garry

70sVintageTrikes

Thanks gwest. I didnt know where to start.

Edit: I have the bracket on front of tractor and then I have the blade it self. Im missing the swivel point that hooks it to tractor...

Any body got the parts I need?

puddlejumper

I think, kind of a distant picture, but thats a h60 with h55 tins on it.

Don1977

Here is one of the front wheels. I figure a tube will be no help after I blast it at 150 psi and a half inch tip...

Used the wheels off the trailer and worry about wheels for it later.

rydogg

I think, kind of a distant picture, but thats a h60 with h55 tins on it.

I was thinking the same thing.  Very nice clean machine a little red paint and it'll look like new, either use the h60 tecumseh that is in it and have a Suburban 550 or replace it with a k91 kohler and have Suburban 400 they were exactly the same except for the engine.  Those rims look the same as the ones on my 550, they rusted from the inside out .  A repro belt guard can be found on ebay for $50.

I was fooled with the H55 lauson tins on a H60 tecumseh when I purchased this 550 sight unseen thinking it was an original engine but figured out pretty quickly that it was a common H60, the H60 is actually a better engine but I am a purist and like my tractors to be as correct as they can be.

wheelhorse178-1.jpg

70sVintageTrikes

I have the belt gaurd for drive belt but not for deck belt?

Also should my gt have 6-12 rear tires or should they be smaller?

70sVintageTrikes

As for it being a h60, it has elec start and i noticed the fuses too. Would it of had both them oem with h55?

bowtieguy

Welcome.....and slip across the border to MO and you can see what a "faded red" tractor with blade looks like...but leave your ammo at home!!

rydogg

H55 lauson is identical to the H60 tecumseh in almost every way except that the lauson has an internal oil pump and the tecumseh has a splash oiling system, they both have the same starter and fuse panel, the easy way to id a lauson engine is to look beneath the crankshaft pulley side of the engine and see if it has a large indent casted into the cover as seen in the picture below.  The engine pictured is a correct Suburban 550 lauson with an updraft tillotson carburetor that was used due to clearance issues with the hood stand.

lausonoilpump.jpeg

Yours should have 6-12 tires the one I have pictured above had incorrect 4-12 rears probably from a walk behind 2 wheel tractor.  Deck belt guards come up on ebay occasionally or you may want to try a wanted ad here on the forum.  If you need any help with parts or pictures I have a 550 torn apart in my shop that I have taken many pictures of so I can figure out how to put it back together.  Welcome to the forum.