Sign in to follow this  
zeedubbya

Experiences with C-81?

zeedubbya

A guy that lives within 2 miles of me has a C-81 for sale. Asking 400. I'm trying to figure out some information on this tractor and have found the basics but would like to know about experiences, is that a good value etc., its in decent shape, runs good and has a deck. As soon as I get back down there to look at it I will post pictures. Thanks!

rmaynard

Tough to place a value on it without seeing it, so pictures will help. Depending on what deck it has, how well the engine runs, and overall body condition, $400.00 may not be too bad of a price. I would offer less if it were me. The K181 is a good little engine, but it is power-poor if you plan on plowing on upgrades or blowing heavy snow. As a lawn mowing tractor, you should be fine as long as it has the stock 36" deck. My neighbor had a nice C-81 with a snow blower and a 42" deck. Snow blower bogged down on grades, and 42" deck was okay, but tended to slow down in tall grass. He re-powered with a K321 and nothing stops him now.

Just my :twocents-twocents: worth.

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A C-81 THAT I JUST USE FOR GRASS MOWING WITH A 36 REAR DISCHARGE DECK. FOR THIS USE YOU CAN NOT FIND A BETTER UNIT. I NEVER FELT I NEEDED MORE POWER. I HAVE PLOWED 6 INCHES OF SNOW, BUT I WOULD NOT TRY TO PLOW MORE. I USE MY GT-14 FOR SNOW NOW.

leeave96

For me and in my neck of the woods, $400 would be a little high - unless it was in very good condition with a nice deck.

MalMac

It would have to be in great shape. Figure though that if it is cosmetically poor but mechanically sound then just would be worth it in parts alone as part prices just keep going up. I myself use a C-81 for everything. I have put a 42 inch deck on it but that did task the power somewhat. Now I use a 36 RD on it and it is the best mower I have. I got a cab on it and a 48in plow for snow removal and have no problem moving snow that is with in reason. I have higher horse power Wheel Horse's but for the most part they just set. I use the C-81 in the garden with a plow and tiller and have not had any issues. In my Avatar pic that is a 520. Now it's been put to the back of the barn and the 81 has taken over. Does just about the same amount of work for a whole lot less to operate. C-81 has got the same 8 speed that all the of my big C's have. Same tractor just a smaller motor. But as far as price I would be more comfortable in the 300 range.

JackC

I have a C-81 that I use as a light duty yard mule and mower.  I like it for mowing a smaller yard because it is quiet and economical.  It will do light plowing duty but I would not use it for the deep or heavy stuff.  I found that if the points are not properly adjusted it will lose power.  I would pay $400 only if it was in excellent original condition.  They are easy to re-power with a bigger engine.

Kelly

I have to say if it's nice and the deck is nice, and everything has no major issues, it is worth $400, everyone wants to buy cheap, but ask them what theirs is worth, or how much they would sell it for, and you get  new answer, a good running garden tractor is worth it, you can't buy a junk MTD in mowing season for $400 that is in good shape.

• Like 3

P'chop

Any pictures of it ?   :eusa-think:

zeedubbya

This is only pic he has right now--its the stock pic from CL. I think price is right, but I don't really need it. The most appealing aspect is adding another herd member and I could probably ride it to my house!! I'm gonna try and meet up with seller tomorrow evening and make a decision. It supposedly has a newer k181 and a new starter. Has a 42 inch deck as well. Will know for certain tomorrow.

post-5571-0-28376100-1362011846.jpg

Racinbob

Ditto on what Kelly said. Decent Horses at $400 are going away fast.

Wheelhorse84

Look at that exhaust!

Kelly

Well that one is a little ruff the hood is about junk, the muffler well??? that is a 36" SD deck, I'd offer less, but I still think if it runs out good it's at least worth $300-350

Ken B

I have to say if it's nice and the deck is nice, and everything has no major issues, it is worth $400, everyone wants to buy cheap, but ask them what theirs is worth, or how much they would sell it for, and you get  new answer, a good running garden tractor is worth it, you can't buy a junk MTD in mowing season for $400 that is in good shape.

Amen!

Kevbo

I love my C-81, in fact I regard it as one of my favorites because of the K181. If you are planning on just doing light duty tasks like mowing with a smaller deck or pulling carts, the C-81 is great. I paid $380 for mine which is pictured below. I bought it off a RedSquare member as my 2nd horse after my original 414-8 that got me hooked in October. Keep us updated but for the picture you are showing above...I feel like you can get it for under $400.

IMG_0976_zpsc2ec335d.jpg

tunahead72

Kevin,

Just for reference, did you get a deck with yours, or was that $380 just for the tractor?

Kevbo

I did get a deck with it yes.

Tankman

Excellent lookin' C-81 Horsey Kevbo!

If memory serves, I remember 30-40 years ago doing it all with less!

Value? How much do you want it? I doubt the Stallion would let you down.

Have fun!

When I had a pristine lawn, loved the rear discharge mower. Towed a Jackson or Parker sweeper. Lawn looked great! [i was studying agronomy and orchards at the time. Apples, pears, plums out back were delicious.]

Butch

I wouldn't pay $400 for it. Looks way too rough. I'd look for something better unless you're looking to restore it. Then I'd offer around $200.

Kevbo

I wouldn't pay $400 for it. Looks way too rough. I'd look for something better unless you're looking to restore it. Then I'd offer around $200.

Agreed.

Save Old Iron

Look at that exhaust!

That's no exhaust, I believe that is the rare southern ohio snowblower option!

zeedubbya

That's hilarious SOI! As a follow up I went and looked at it and indeed it's too rough I think. I didn't make an offer on it because I don't think it's in the cards. If anyone on here wants it it's in the Columbus, OH CL. I believe the guy will take less. It runs pretty good. I do have a new line on a couple of 70's horses now that I think I'm gonna explore. More about this in another post. Thanks for the advice everyone--I hate to turn any Wheel Horse deals away but this just wasn't the right one for me.

Tankman

Look at that exhaust!

That's no exhaust, I believe that is the rare southern ohio snowblower option! 

What year(s) were the C-81 produced? I just saw one, deckless, bad shape, $100.00. I'm going to offer fifty bucks (period). I have a deck, seller says, "Engine was rebuilt two years ago." Doesn't look like it to me, same old story.

That muffler says, "That's not in your face!" :smile: