Sign in to follow this  
Brian T

Suggested sell price of a Work Horse GT-1142?

ericj

i agree with kelly on the pricing but if i was going to buy it not running i would only offer $300.00 max so i could make some money on it. if i felt he was asking to much i probably won't even make contact or an offer if i only wanted to flip it i won't deal i guy way down if i am only looking to flip, but at the same token i wont but it if i don't think i can at least break even on it when i need to make room in the stable for another must have tractor.

i thought the guys that said it was worth up around $ 750.00 were a little high for a 11hp briggs but then again to each his own.

eric j 

welderman85

i boght one last summer allmost as nice with a single stage blower for 275.00 its a great tractor to keep hard worker and kinda easy on gas i put a 36 in deck on mine and it cuts my up north yard.

ThreeHorses

I was not saying it was worth $750. I said instead of the $75 he should list it for the $750 OBO.

That way when a Craigslist buyer or Red Square buyer wanted to offer less than his $750 price he had room to come down.

I've sold decks like it has for $250+

I also had a 1983 GT1142 with a Briggs and it was a real good tractor.

I still have another GT1142 at the farm with a tiller on it.

I bought the tiller and he said I could have the tractor to for another $100.

Came with the Briggs but since has had a 12HP Kohler engine swapped in.

The Briggs ran good yet but smoked a lot.

Rock farmer

I wonder why the value is thought to be so high on this? I would have thought 450 max. It is a nice Work Horse.... I put my absolutely MINT original 85 310 up for sale at 700 without a single offer. Listed it here and on C/L. Just wonderin.....

It's all about local market! These things don't ship cheaply! How Meny wheelhorses are for sale around You there in central Connecticut? ( maybe 10 - 20 within a two hour drive? )

I've been watching a decent looking GT 14 with a mower deck and plow. It's been listed a long time now and the guy can't get $600 for it! There's also a C-160 same story price is down to $400 now? I would have drive a long way just to look at them!

Up here in Maine they want $400 for a tractor in pieces with an old snowblower engine!

There's a C-175 in Boston for $2200 firm ( looks like his 12 year old painted it!)

Now, I prefer a kohler engine a hydrostatic drive and a hydaulic lift and maybe a rear hitch before I'd fork over $750! But, that's just me.

Mark, you could trade that mower deck for a snowblower with chains and wheel weights, Evan up ill bet.

Ken B

I know its all about the local market and all that and that is why I think when someone asks a whats it worth question its probably a good idea if the local guys chime in. New Jersey and CT have similar market values on tractors from what I have seen. Sometimes its worth the trip too travel for a good machine if you are convinced that it is good. I have driven 10hr round trips for a good deal. That 12 yr old kid that probably painted that C-175 is probably the same person that thinks its worth 2200.00 You can ask whatever you want. Now, I'm not whining at all because I didn't get any offers on my tractor. At 700 or best offer it was a GIFT to someone. If anyone actually looked at it in person they would be amazed. I was only using mine as a comparison. I don't need to sell it. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

• Like 1

Wheelhorse84

Ken its still listed at 850 I think on cl

Ken B

I was trying to give someone here a deal on it for 700.00. I have two guys coming to look at it this Saturday for 850.00 thru my C/L ad. IMO it is worth all of 850.00. One of the guys has bought from me before so I know he is serious.

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1

855ownerJoel

This crowd is getting tough... wow.  I still believe the market area dictates the price.  I have bought tractors from $50.00 to as much as $200.  (I have been noted as being cheap).   I also have seen fixed up tractors for $750, $1100, and on and on.   I think one thing you can look at closely is condition.  If the tractor is as good as new or needs very limited work, it may be worth a lot more than others.  I am also willing to pay for quality and older Wheel Horses IMO will beat any new lawn and garden junk out there.  Looking at the picture (without seeing firsthand) his tractor looks exceptionally good.  With that being said, I agree with it being possibly worth somewhere in that $700-750 range to the right person.  Remember the new cheap garbage tractor at a minimum are $1500 just to start and they fall apart fast.   I always have neighbors come to me when their $1500. bargain starts to fail.  I can see how the phone would ring off the hook at $75.00 

Trouty56

Not everyone that buys a Wheel Horse is...how should I say...buying one to have another or to resell or restore or whatever.  Some might pay 750 for it.....he lives in Jersey...not south central PA like me who buys something 150 and puts 100 couple dollars into this and that and a couple hunfred dollars in tires on it and then get a deck for more money and end up with....well I don't know how much money in the tractor. Probably close that and it still doesn't look as good.  If he gets it running...waits till spring when the grass is growing he may get 750 for it...just not from me...lol

Ken B

Sold my 310 the other night for 850, good for me......

• Like 3

Wheelhorse84

Ken are you like me every time you buy a tractor you tell yourself I'm gonna keep this one forever then 2 weeks later is up for sale?

marvairplanes

I was trying to give someone here a deal on it for 700.00. I have two guys coming to look at it this Saturday for 850.00 thru my C/L ad. IMO it is worth all of 850.00. One of the guys has bought from me before so I know he is serious.

Ken, It's great to see that there are still buyers out there who appreciate and recognize a quality product. It's obvious that you knew the value of your tractor, and I respect you for not selling it "at junk/scrap" price. I'm betting that the buyer is thinking he "got a  deal" !!! 

• Like 1

Ken B

Ken, It's great to see that there are still buyers out there who appreciate and recognize a quality product. It's obvious that you knew the value of your tractor, and I respect you for not selling it "at junk/scrap" price. I'm betting that the buyer is thinking he "got a  deal" !!! 

The guy called me at 8:30 pm at night and he was here by 9:15,  He told me he just bought a new house with one acre of grass to cut and he wanted a good tractor. He said he knew he wanted a Wheel Horse but he was having a hard time finding a nice clean one. He looked at Sears and Home Depot and was totally unimpressed with what they had within his budget. In all honesty I think he would have paid more as he couldn't get the 850 out fast enough.

• Like 1

marvairplanes

OK...now I have to tell my story.

About a month ago I posted in the Classified here on RS that I was selling my collection of tractors.

I stated that I knew their value and they wouldn't be cheep.

I got dozens of requests for pics/prices/details, etc., which I appreciated and expected.

I sold one tractor to a Red Square member who drove almost 200 miles one way.

Six other tractors have gone to new homes....(Thanks, C.L.)

I had my C-195 (with 60" deck and grader blade)  listed at $1295,

When the buyer came to pick it up, he said he didn't want the deck...asked what the adjusted price would be. I told him $1250....He handed me THIRTEEN new $100 bills and told me to keep the change !

And then he said "Thanks".

Brian T

Hey all thanks again for the tips and info on this.  Refilled the oil, cleaned the carb, and swapping out the spark plug.  One question:  looks like i need to add the transmission or other lubricant (the dip stick is located under the seat).

Any idea what kind the work horse would take?

Rock farmer

Sorry, I've got hydros on my mind!

But, I would recommend draining the tranny and re-filling it. Rather than just topping it off. Reason being if there were water in the tranny it would sit on the bottom and rust the gears!

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer

Sparky

Your tractor is an 8 speed not a hydro so there is no filter to swap. Theres a small drain plug under the tranny right next to the trailer tow bar's rear tongue. If your doing a full tranny fluid swap take out that drain plug and pull the dipstick to let air in and speed up drainage. I use 80-90 weight gear oil in my 8 speed tranny's, I think it takes 2 quarts :scratchead:  . Dont use 10w-30, its to thin.

Mike..............

• Like 1

leeave96

You can also download from Toro's website the manuals for your tractor. There are also some manuals on this website too. Great job keeping your tractor!!!!

kaiser

i wish i had been on here when ken listed that 310. i paid a bundle for my workhorse, it's nice and it compared well to the area.

tractors around here (ct) are expensive. but when you think about it, they are still a deal compared to the new junk that's 2k and lasts 5 years.