Sign in to follow this  
GuffdaStuff

first buy c160

GuffdaStuff

hey guys ive been reseaching on this site alot the past couple days and just decided to join!  any how ive found me a jem of a wheel horse in dayton ohio and will most likely be picking it up this comming sunday.  the tractor is in beautiful shape but needs some parts and pieces to make er run..   apparently the clutch rod is broke and its missing an air cleaner and the air cleaner housing.  i was wondering if i will be able to go to my local toro dealer and get these pieces or if im gonna have to scour craigslist to find what i need.   also what can i look for to determine if this tractor is a true c160 or just had c160 emblems slapped on it?  by the way it is a 8 speed manual and not the hydro thank you in advance for any response i just want to make sure that im buying what i want instead of a lesser model because we all know craigslist can be a little scandelous sometimes haha....thank you

whc160

:text-welcomewave: to RS from another Buckeye!  The C-160's are great tractors.  You will like that K341 thumber under the hood.  As you can tell from below I like my C-160's.  The last one I picked up from Kelly another member here.  At that time he had 3 or 4 160's for parts tractors.  More than likely he would have the parts you need.  You can find him in the vender section.  Also see if you can get the seller to send you a pic of the tag with the numbers and then post them here.

roscoemi

Post the numbers off the id tag and someone can prolly tell you. Any pics? That would help alot as there are other things that would help tell the story. Kelly should have the parts you need.  :WRS:

GuffdaStuff

this is the only pic i have of it i cant get the vin number untill the weekend hopefully this helps its kinda vauge though

post-9582-0-48522000-1361242796.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

:WRS:  Going by the pic you posted that is a 76 or 77 C-160 with a 48" deck, it has homemade hood decals, and looks to have been painted at some time, get a list of parts around and send me a PM, I have a few parts C-160's and lot of parts in general.

whc160

I looked at the add and it says it has a 14hp.  The C-160 came from the factory with a 16hp Kolher K341.  The seller might have replaced the motor.  By the rear seat pan I can tell you it is a 76 or 77.  It is not in bad shape, looks like it just needs a little TLC.

GuffdaStuff

i asked the guy about the engine discrepancy and he said that he mis printed that it was actually a 16 horse....thats why im wondering besides stickers and decals how can i tell if it is a 14 horse or a 16 horse?

whc160

The 16hp K341 will have 10 head bolts.  The 14hp and down will only have 9 head bolts.

GuffdaStuff

that is some great info right there i really appreciate the help!   im also wanting to get 75 pound wheel weights, argo tires, rototiller and a plow if anyone has these extra goodies id like to have em!  we have had wheel horses before but none of this size and im really excited to get it!  what kinda problems could i expect from these tractors as far as maintanince goes?

artfull dodger

Nice find on the C160, you can get new correct hood decals from redoyourhorse.com.  He is a member here and as a RS member you can get a discount on your order.  You can put a post up in the RS classifieds for all the goodies you are looking for or watch ebay.  I saw a pair of ag style tires, 6ply Dico brand for $160 for the pair with free shipping.  I would have bought them if I had the $$ right now. Depending where you live there are shows/swap meets where you can find and buy parts that are to bulky or costly to ship.  As far as maintance, belts and bearings are the most common, sometimes an idler pulley on one of the belt drives needs replaced when the bearings get loud.  If the engine ever dies or wears out, WH's are some of the easiest to repower with a different engine including air cooled diesels, Vtwin's or flat twins.  About the only thing that lacks on that series IMHO are the headlights if equipted. The later series with the sealed beam lights do much better if you are out after dark.  Looks like it has the original muffler, those are nice sounding, quieter than the cheapo "pepper pots or pancake style" that are sold now.  If it gets rusty, remove it, sand it down or use a wire wheel and paint it with high temp BBQ paint or exhaust header paint, this will help lengthen its lifespan, they are not cheap to replace.  Enjoy your new Horse if you get her!    Cheers   Mike 

• Like 1

546cowboy

I know the feeling. I just picked up a C-160? by the decals and model number but it has a K-321 14 hp. Kohler in it. It doesn't seem to be all that uncommon since this is the second one I've got that way. You just have to look before you buy one but that K-321 is a good motor too.

Wheel-N-It

Looks good! Congragulations!

Sparky

Maybe the hood was swapped out since all C-160's came with headlites, not the WH blank-off plate.

Either way its a good lookin machine!

Mike...............

Wishin4a416

Looks like you got a dandy! And welcome to the forum. The parts are not to hard to find. Good Luck.

Whmaverick

I love both of mine, you should enjoy yours. The C-160 imho is one of the best tractors built. They will do anything you ask of them. Implements should be easy to locate also, have fun!

Not sure I agree with the other guys on the year. The steering wheel dates it back as does the flip up fender/seat pan, the center bolt spindles and what appears to be cast pulleys on the front mule drive and the missing guard . Also you can check what type of PTO safety switch is used, I do think the hood has been altered or replaced, as it would have head lights and as I feel the earlier model would have the crome emblem. If my assesment is correct, because these are things that are not usually changed, then that tractor is 74'-75'. But the other guys are very respected in there knowledge of these tractors and I have been schooled before. LOL.   :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :bow-blue:  :twocents-02cents: 

Charlie Smith

Great machine for a first buy doesn't look like there's any work needed. Brilliant find.

Wheelhorse84

160's are are great machine. Good luck.

darg

Nice looking tractor. If you haven,t found out the  hp yet , look over the pto pully , there should be a casted # on the block. that should tell the HP. I have a 77 160 8 speed  with a 12 hp engine. Very nice well built units.

darg

Kelly

I can say the tractor is a 76 or 77, it has the flip up seat only used those years on the C's and some B's, before that the fender flipped up and the seat was solid mount, it has the wide front wheels started in 76, it has been painted so I can see someone buying a block off plate to put in the hood to cover a hole were the lights may not have worked, the block off plate is cheaper, 76 was the first year they did not use a hood ornament, the mule drive can be swapped very easy, but it looks to have the tin pulleys, the deck is a 48" if it is nice they are worth a little bit by them selves.