Sign in to follow this  
Mitchell0201

Do i need a regulator or reflictor on a kohler k321

Mitchell0201

I need to know it i need a voltage regulator on my kohler k321aqs its 15 amp

rmaynard

Why do you think that you may need a new one? What model tractor do you have? Are you looking for troubleshooting techniques or just a source for a new regulator? A little more details please.

:WRS:

Edited by rmaynard

Mitchell0201

I swapped the motors to a 14hp with a regulator on it do i need to use it

Don1977

It would help if you told what tractor you put it on. The later model tractors had different electrical systems.

meadowfield

whatever engine you have fitted, if it is electric start and has a coil you will need a battery. If you have a battery you need a charge system, on a Kohler there should be a cable from the side of the block behind the flywheel that should connect to the regulator. There are several type of regulator body, but generally all perform the same function.

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

I swapped the motors to a 14hp with a regulator on it do i need to use it

Hi Mitchell0201 and welcome to RS. You've come to the right place for help and advice but we really could do with a little more info.

Are we talking about a C-120? I'm guessing that as you have it as your favorite model.

Again it's a guess but I assume you're swapping out the original motor for a 14hp from something else possibly a Deere like the 214. Kohler made these motors for a huge range of applications and to different specifications for each manufacturer's requirements.

By the sound of what you say this one had a regulator mounted onto the motor casing? If so then you can't use both the regulator already on the C-120 and the one mounted on the motor. Either would do but not both and its probably easiest to connect the two wires Meadowfield mentioned that come out from behind the flywheel to the wires on the C-120 as per the original motor.

A lot of guesswork here but if i'm on track then you've gained a spare regulator (bonus!). Kohler changed the design of the regulator in later years. The original on a C-120 is large and fills the space above the ammeter, the later type is smaller but has the same mounting hole spacing, same three connections, and is interchangeable.

If I'm totally off track here I apologise but it's always useful to tell us more of the whole story behind what you're in the process of doing.

Andy

• Like 1