Sign in to follow this  
Whmaverick

Gotta be kidding me!

Whmaverick

Was reading back a ways and came across a thread that talked about " balancing gears" as " Grenade gears" in K series engines. So I got all these tractors lined up in my garage that are a ticking time bomb? Sure seems like an issue that needs to stay near the front of these discussions as often as possible or is it the dirty little secret that no body wants to think about let alone talk about? Wow! I shutter to think about the time let alone the cost to fix this little problem. Anyone wanna donate some time this weekend? Might have to set up an assembly line. LOL.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I've thought about that too. There is only two of my six LAGT's that I know for sure does not have balance gears in the engine. One is my 1975 IH Cub Cadet 1650. That is because I had the K-341 completely rebuilt last year. Also the KT-17 series 2 in the 417-A, as its a twin cylinder. Do any of you fellow RS members think any of my Wheel Horses listed below would have balance gears in the Kohler engines?

I have a 1969 JD 140 H3 with a K-321 in it in case anyone knows about that one also.

Save Old Iron

Hold on cowboy - breath in and out of a brown paper bag for a few minutes and calm down :ychain: . There are no dirty little secrets regarding balance gears. After 20 or 30 years of faithful service, the roller bearings supporting the balance gears will loosen up causing the gears to wobble. Wobbling at high speeds increases internal stresses on the gears. Under this increased workload the gears can suddenly decide to leave their place within the engine and seek an easier life outside the confines of the shortblock.

If the gears or their mounting shafts are worn, either one can be replaced and survive another 20 years. Balance gears can also be removed during shortblock disassembly or by "cold chisel persuasion".

The takeaway here is making sure we address this concern from a point of educated understanding, not one of fear spawned from ignorance.

headfire.jpg

• Like 4

CRE1992

SOI your pictures are the best!

Ken B

I you don't hear them rattling around making all kinds of noise I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. They are real easy too smack outta there if you wanna get rid of them.