Sign in to follow this  
gratefulydeadman

854 tranny trouble.

gratefulydeadman

hey guys. i recently restored an 854. upon firing it up for the first time since the rebuild i noticed that the belt doesnt disengage and the tranny keeps spinning when i push the clutch in. therefore i cant shift from into gear. does anyone know whst im doing wrong or why it is doing that? thsnks... ralph

TT

Belt guard installed?

Pulley grooves smooth & free of paint?

Correct fabric-coated drive belt?

Is the drive belt the correct width & length?

Finger above tensioner pulley intact and straight?

Brake adjustment not too tight?

• Like 1

gratefulydeadman

i do not have the belt guard installed, pully grooves have no paint or build up in them, and finger above tensioner pulley is straight. as for the belt... it is the belt that was on it when i got it a year ago. and everything worked perfect before i took it apart. the only thing that was wrong with the 854 was that it smoked when put under a load. so i rebuilt the engine and the rest of the tractor. the only thing not new are the tires and belt.

HorseWhisperer

I have taken belts off and noticed they are pulley shaped.They look like the pulley configuration and when they spin and stop they keep getting caught up and won't relax to allow shift.It's rare but it happens.Is the belt flexible?

TT

i do not have the belt guard installed

Put it on and your problem will disappear. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

buckrancher

i do not have the belt guard installed

Put it on and your problem will disappear. :handgestures-thumbup:

Do what Terry says :auto-dirtbike:

Brian

HorseWhisperer

Um yeah,read your response wrong.The belt guard is also the slack enforcer needed to spin freely.*Smacks self in forehead*

WheelHorse79

This sounds familiar. When I bought my 854 the drive belt was slipping badly. It would barely go up any sort of slope. I bought a proper replacement belt from PartsTree, cleaned the brake pully, adjusted the brake rod and made sure the belt guard was on properly. This seemed to fix the slipping and the brake works much better. BTW: with the belt guard off and the brake rod not adjusted properly, the belt would drag enough to turn the transmission pulley and prevent me from being able to shift. The belt guard has a guide to keep the drive belt from dragging on the drive shaft pulley. When the guard is left off, the belt will drag with the clutch engaged.

I have also purchased a replacement clutch spring from PartsTree just in case. I figure 48 years has stretched and weakend the clutch spring too. On my 854 someone had rigged another spring on the clutch rod to help the clutch spring. It was a band aid that didn't solve the problem.
:greetings-waveyellow:

Good luck!

gratefulydeadman

thanks guys. it was the belt guard:) this is only the second horse i restored. but the first that was completely by myself. now i know that for the future. thanks again!!! ralph

• Like 2

wp205a

Just had my belt guard off, same problem, It was one of those moments.. Now I'm searching for the length/pitch of that drive belt so I can get a couple. I bet I can find the info here, and I would be lost without this forum.

• Like 1

TT

Now I'm searching for the length/pitch of that drive belt so I can get a couple.

The original belt was #1576, but it has superceded to #9691 ~ which are both 70" long X 1/2" wide / HA

I personally recommend using only OEM belts on the gear-drive tractors, but that's entirely your choice.

wp205a

1/2 x 70 I'm going to try an aramid fiber from Rotary Corp, and will report on it.

wp205a

Dang TT, we posted simultaneously, thanks, if the Rotary gives me trouble I'll get a Toro.

Edited by wp205a