Sign in to follow this  
posifour11

came home with a sears

posifour11

2013-01-03_14-16-11_442.jpg

16 onan. Runs decent but could use a little work and mufflers.

Starting to like bartering.

• Like 2

Kelly

I worked on one just like that all last weekend, it's my kids, one tough machine, but like most Onans the carb is a PITA.

Sparky

Nice! I like those old Sears machines. Those rear tires just fit dont they?

Mike......

Wishin4a416

I remember that model well. When I started dating my wife, her father had one and I would plow the drive with it. Gosh Im sorry I never got it when he decided to get a new one.

Nice one.

posifour11

Sparky, just barely! They are 26's. About a half inch clearance. He was making a puller for his wife and she lost interest.

Still don't know what to do with it. But couldn't pass it up.

Foozerush

I do "light mantience" work for a gentleman's rental property. He has one of these I keep up on. Mower deck removal/ put on is close to a WH, mule drive in front of axel, quick spring load pins, undo belt around PTO, slide it out. I hate the plow sears made for them, heavy, bulky with the lift handle, turn release lever, not as simple as WH. I have a 416-8 I compare the 2 with, I feel my 16 onan is more powerful than the older sears, and I think it uses less fuel also. But hands down the sears is Fast in hi-3!!!! Put my WH to shame. They are a beast, I see plenty of them on CL, I have gotten some parts from there to replace some wore out parts, still looking for a good hood hinge, common problem. His back up tractor there is a POS MTD big box store 14hp 7 speed shift on the fly dog.... Steering is horrible, barely turns right, so make sure you don't have to turn that way, engine leaks oil out bottom crank seal, spent 130.00 on a stock muffler. I have it in the back of the shed buried under a bunch of his stuff so he don't use it and break something I have to fix..... But yea enjoy that sears, they are fun to operate, and will take what you throw at them. I will run by there tomorrow and fire it up and take a pic of it, see if this new trickle charger keeping battery good. Gregg

Ken B

I have wanted a Sears like yours with an Onan for a long time but the right wasn't hasn't come along yet. But, if one ever does I'm gonna snag it. Its seems the Onans in them last a real long time don't they? I can remember going to the garden tractor pulls many yrs. ago and a local kid used a Sears like yours in the pulls. That Onan sounded awesome under a heavy load, he almost always won his class. I'm with Foozer, the snow blade setup is just plain old goofy. I've had many Super Suburbans with Techy's and they are tough as nails.

Jake Kuhn

Nice tractor! :bow-blue:

artfull dodger

The Onan powered Sears are probably the best to pick up of all of them. Many of the Techies of that vintage use a solid state ignition module that is NLA and upwards of $150-200 bucks on fleabay. I used to have an SS16, wish I would have kept it. Biggest issue with the carbs on the BF series Onans is the original carb floats were foam, and they dont like our new gas, so one must replace them with the brass upgrade floats from Onan, not a cheap fix but it fixes that issue once and for all. I actualy find the Onan carbs easier to work on than Kohler. Just pop the top part off, put it in the soaker can, use the carb cleaner to blow out the bowl and any passages in the lower part, then service the top half. After reassembly, I check the manifold for leaks with the engine running. Nice Sears! Mike

Foozerush

Posi-- here is the one i take care of..... 1357683623.jpg

1357683651.jpg