Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Steering Wheel Removal?

Kevbo

So kind of confused about how to remove the steering wheel on my B-80. I took off the cap and there was literally a puddle of water in the steering...how does it exactly come off? It looks like there is a rusted rod with a rusted washer around it??

rmaynard

There is a roll pin that goes through the wheel and shaft. The pin has to be driven out, then the wheel needs to be pulled off. That all sounds simple, but if it is rusted, the job sometimes becomes impossible. Good luck. You can search the forum for posts on steering wheel removal.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

JackC

It seems some require dynamite to blow them off. I gave up on one and decided to leave it.

855ownerJoel

I soaked mine with penetrating oil for what seemed to be weeks before I could start getting the pin to move. Just kept spraying it on daily and hammering with a punch until it finally started moving, then more penetrant and hammering daily until it came out. Not fast but worked. I would suggest antiseize on when replacing.

• Like 1

can whlvr

i got mu pin out and still coulnt get the wheel off of my 308

rmaynard

I had a B-80 that I was forced to cut the steering shaft below the dash housing to remove it. I then found a good steering wheel and steering shaft on eBay for about $40.00. I still have the old wheel and cut shaft hanging in the shed to remind me that sometimes, no matter how persistent you are, you will end up losing.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

You sure got lucky on the tractor, so you might get lucky on the roll pin too. I would let that pin soak in PB Blaster for a few days before trying to remove it. Last weekend I went to harbour freight just to buy some hardware. While there I looked at the steering wheel pullers. They did not have that would work on lawn and garden tractors. If you buy a puller, let me know what kind it is and where you got it. I'd like to have one on hand for when I need one.

varosd

Kevin,

I have not attempted a steering wheel removal. here is a hyperlink to a RS file on steering wheel removal plus doing advance search for previous posts will shed some light on a stubborn wheel removal.

• Like 1

Kevbo

Thanks guys I took the steering wheel off with part of the dash attached because I didn't want to break it...I might try and restore the shaft and dash together. It might just take a little extra time.

ericj

i take the shaft out complete like you did and then take to friend to put into a press some times it take in excess of 5 tons of force to remove them

eric

• Like 1

can whlvr

i would do as you said,work around it attached to the dash

Jake Kuhn

If you are lucky to get the roll pin out, I believe you can do it with this type of tractor but I have been doing it on round hoods. If you can gain access to a air chisle it usually will come off fairly easy with it. Thats what I do on my rj's and suburbans and it always go's very easy once we get the roll pin out. ~Jake