Sign in to follow this  
lilredpuller8

Kohler K361 18hp OHV. Another mystery HELP!!

lilredpuller8

Ok somewhat un - horse related since it is on a power king, nut i feel like I come to the right place with questions like this. I have this 18 hp K series and its OHV. I have had no luck with it what so ever. The old guy i bought it off of said the points would always close up. No problem right? easy fix.... NOPE. It runs like it just looses itself and bogs oiut with a half hr of running. so i replaced the condenser, coil, ballast resistor, key switch, fuel line, fuel pump, re did the carb several times, new head gasket and reground the valves. And some how or another it still does the same thing. The head gasket and valves helped but it still gets out of hand. Any suggestions? im lost on this one and i consider myself to be a pretty good troubleshooter when it comes to things like this but right now im at a loss. HELPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stepney

Well, I'm no expert. But I had a '74 Economy, and it didn't have a ballast resistor, it had a Solid State coil. But, I've had that happen too, and I found it was the condensor. I did have a dud, once. But I don't know.

Spenser

Save Old Iron

the points would always close up.

What exactly does that mean ?

the points stay in good electrical condition but the physical gap closes down ?

the points arc over and weld together?

not sure what to suggest as those two conditions would dictate two entirely different troubleshooting approaches.

lilredpuller8

I tired it both with and with out the resistor and still same results. What i mean when the points close up is some how or another where it adjusts would come loose and slide untill they closed all the way up. I also tired a different condenser and even tired it in different spots on the block no luck. :banghead:

Wheel-N-It

Are the threads stripped on that screw (or where the screw threads in) that holds the points to the proper setting? If those threads are stripped then changing anything else is a waste of time until you get the points to hold their adjustment.

• Like 1

lilredpuller8

One of the first things i changed was the points. All the items mentioned in the posting i replaced. Im stuck now i broke it down to all them things and still didnt help

roscoemi

Like Wheel-N-It said, if the points don't stay in adjustment your wasting time on anything else.