Sign in to follow this  
roost

857 tranny no reverse?

roost

i am looking at a 857 with mowerdeck and snowblower. owner says it doesnt back up, if he remembers right doesnt grind but wont move in reverse. any thoughts? to much trouble to mess with? thank you for your comments.

Kelly

I'm not a trans guy, but the 3 speeds are pretty simple, and if the price is right, buy it and tear in to it.

Coadster32

I wouldn't not buy it just because of the reverse issue. (who knows...it could just be the operator). The trans are pretty simple when you get down to it. You can check out Stevasurus' video post on it. If that's not for you, you could also just bolt on another rear as well. (Could also just be the shifter). Good luck.

stevasaurus

I would grab that transmission for sure...no questions asked...way to easy to fix. I would not run it though, except to turn the input pulley by hand. If you have some broken teeth in there, they could get stuck and do more damage. If you can turn the pulley and shift between 2nd and 3rd and watch the axles turn, there are a lot of things that are not wrong. If you can shift it into 1st gear and watch the axles turn, then it almost has to be the reverse idler gear or where that gear engages the cluster gear. If you pull out the shifter and look down the hole with a light, you can see the reverse idler gear under the forks. The fork that is closest to the front of the transmission is the fork that moves between 1st and reverse. A roll pin holds the fork in position on the shaft. Use a long screwdriver to move the forks back and forth and see what you get...neutral is when both forks are lined up facing each other evenly....should see a square.

Regardless, get the trans...the # 1533 bearings may be good and are not available anymore. Parts is parts. I would bet that if you do need a part or two, we can find it with out too much trouble or cost. Let us know what you find. :)

BTW...the 857 is one of the best horses out there IMO...short frame square hoods have a certain appeal and mine is my go to horse.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

roost

thanks all you guys for the great info, im going to look sat. i will keep you posted!

roost

update, i picked it up. sorry i dont have pics, letting it thaw out. heres the model # t- 857 ser# 325035. does this mean it came with the techy? thats whats in it. thanks for your help.

racinfool40

t-857 is a 1967 8-hp Kohler the motor has been replaced if it has a tecky...should be an 8-hp kohler with starter/generator.

MIKE.

stevasaurus

Mike is right about the engine being an 8 hsp Kohler. I do not know what the "T" stands for in the T 857...mine is a "L" for L 857. I am sure they mean something, but I have been unable to find out also.

I am really curious about that trans you have there...keep us posted as you get into it. :)

roost

yes, i will. thanks

TT

I do not know what the "T" stands for in the T 857...mine is a "L" for L 857.

"T" stands for Tractor.

You're either seeing yours wrong, or someone at the factory used the wrong stamp. :scratchead:

The letter prefix was used to identify the type of equipment and the following numbers often denoted horsepower, swath / width / size, model year, etc.

A few quick examples would be.....

RM-366 = Rotary Mower / 36" width of cut / 1966

ST-376 = Snow Thrower / 37" swath / 1966

As with other Wheel Horse products, this was not a consumer-friendly (nor consistent) identification system.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Terry, I was hoping you would see this and come back. I'll go out there and take another look...thanks

:)

Went back out there, and as usual, Terry you are right again. Seems I had my head on upside down when I looked at it a few years ago. :bow-blue:

Let me ask you this...I kind of know about how Wheel Horse labeled their attachments...I have a STR-324 snow blower...let me guess.

Snow Thrower Ranger-32" wide 1964??? :)

Edited by stevasaurus

roost

so far, shifter goes in all gears, but you can push it around. also when its jacked up if you spin one wheel forward the other goes backwards. also there is no apparent noise. one axle seal leaking, water in case. when in neutral shifter falls forward this could be worn. any help so far would be great. thanks again!

rmaynard

so far, shifter goes in all gears, but you can push it around. also when its jacked up if you spin one wheel forward the other goes backwards. also there is no apparent noise. one axle seal leaking, water in case. when in neutral shifter falls forward this could be worn. any help so far would be great. thanks again!

One wheel turning forward and one backward is normal. When the shifter is in neutral, it will fall forward. I had a similar problem with my 856. It turned out to be a missing woodruff key in the input pulley.

stevasaurus

Are you saying you can push it around while it is in gear??? You should not be able to do that. First thing, drain the trans and get the water out before it freezes. I would not put anything back in just yet. Does the horse start? If not...keep the rear end on jacks...take off the belt guard and drive belt. Put the tranny in one of the gears, and turn the input pulley by hand in a counter-clockwise direction. You should see one of the tires, or maybe both, turn in the same direction as you turn the pulley.. Try all gears. If the shifter is really sloppy, lift up the rubber boot. Loosen the lock nut on the dog point set screw and snug up the set screw...snug not tight. If you loosen the set screw enough, the shifter can pull right out and you can see down into the trans a little. You will see the shift forks and under those...the reverse idler. What did the oil look like when it came out of the trans? Let's see what you come up with here before we go on. :)

roost

hello, i tried it counterclockwise and it just freewheels. no noise that can i detect. let me know what you think. also on a another note i have a L156 parts lawn ranger and wonder if this is the same tranny? thanks again

roost

i goofed, i tried that with the tranny in neutral. now that i tried it in gear it works. both in forward and reverse. i dont have the tractor running yet, maybe i should get it running first, then flush it out and fill and try it. also what should i put in it for oil?

rmaynard

SAE 90-140 A.P.I Service GL-5 Gear Lube is what is recommended.

roost

thanks, maynard.

gwest_ca

stevasaurus 857 serial 325050

roost 857 serial number 325035

stevasaurus

Roost...yes they should be the same transmissions...#5053. I would still drain the trans and get that water out...once you get her running, put in about 2 qts diesel or Kerosene and run (on blocks) in all gears for about 30 minutes total...at least 1/2 throttle. Drain and redo if you think it needs it. When done fill trans until the oil starts to run out the fill plug hole (about 1 1/2 qts). Let us know.

GWest...that is cool about the serial numbers...thanks. Roost, we will have to get these 2 horses together...maybe you can make the LaSueur Pioneer Show the last weekend of August this year. :)

Roost...I think we are going to want to see some pictures here. :)

Edited by stevasaurus

roost

yes i do go to the leseur show. also the input pulley lockdown screw was backed out but keyway looked nice, i could pull the pulley off the shaft! and the left rear keyway was worn down so i replaced it. i adjusted the shifter and works nice. now cleaning it up a little and put the wheels back on.

stevasaurus

Roost, you may have found your "no reverse" issue with those pulleys and keys. Cool. I have been to that show the last 4 years...have we ever met there? :bow-blue:

roost

not sure if we ever met, i am a swapaholic ha! ha!. but i like all parts of the show, but the swap is my favorite looking for treasure!

stevasaurus

Roost, you are talking the swap meet they have in the spring...I am talking the Pioneer Show the last weekend in August. :)

Thanks TerryM, I did mean August not February. :bow-blue:

Edited by stevasaurus

roost

yes, i would attend your right that was the spring show one year was really muddy! fun to see some other wheelhorse guys at the shows.