ken1054wul

CBR-327 Sickle Cutter Bar for front engine tractors

ken1054wul

I have a CBR 32 sickle that mounts to models from 61-69, there is no drive with the implement. Do you have an owners manual that shows the drive?

ken1054wul

The sickle I have was designed for the 701, I have the manual for the RJ tractors. I need the manual for the latter model

CasualObserver

The sickle I have was designed for the 701, I have the manual for the RJ tractors. I need the manual for the latter model

There are a couple people here who also have that version, but I've never seen a different manual for it.

Here's a picture of one though... for those that don't know there is a different version.

100_0608.jpg

IMG_58311.jpg

Edited by CasualObserver
added picture
  • Like 2

VinsRJ

Is that a chain drive off of the belt drive that spins the sickle drive shaft? :eusa-think:

• Like 1

wallfish

I've never seen one of those before. I just thought they would run the belt different with the same RJ/suburban cbr 32

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Not mine... just a picture taken from the 2012 Michigan show pics. I too think it would just be a belt drive. But like I said... never seen a manual for it. I would think (just pure specualtion) that it probably would have had a model number like CBR-3261. Seems to me that many of the 1961 attachments had the "61" added to their number to differentiate them from previous models.

Kelly

The one Jason posted pics of is mine, it's kinda packed in the barn still on the tractor, but if needed I can try to get better pics, I never hooked the belt up, but it is belt to a jackshaft that in turn is speed reduced with the gears and chain, there is not room to have the large pulley like on the RJ models, some place I have a copy of a price chart from 1961 and it's on it for like $79 I think the model no was CBR-732 for the new then 701 tractor.

I found the picture of the price sheet I have it is hard to read because it is a scan of a old sheet, then emailed to me, but it is a CBR-327 for the 700 series tractors, no price or more info on it, the CBR-32 listed above it was $79

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 1

ken1054wul

Thanks for the update. I have not tried a belt from the motor directly to the sickle but that may work. It looks strange, I not confident that the belt that the belt will stay in place. i will try it to be sure. Still hoping to see one in full operation. Cheers,

CasualObserver

I never hooked the belt up, but it is belt to a jackshaft that in turn is speed reduced with the gears and chain, there is not room to have the large pulley like on the RJ models

You know, that makes sense. Wheel Horse used that same chain setup to run the PTO-66 Farm PTO too.

I found the picture of the price sheet I have it is hard to read because it is a scan of a old sheet, then emailed to me, but it is a CBR-327 for the 700 series tractors, no price or more info on it, the CBR-32 listed above it was $79

You know, now that you mention that Kelly, I think I've heard that CBR-327 number mentioned before somewhere. Could have been like you and only seen it on a price list... I just don't remember. Aren't there 1961 and 62 price lists in the back of Martino's book? Maybe someone will chime in during the day. Otherwise I'll look when I get home. In the meantime, I will change the topic title, so it can be found in searches in the future.

CasualObserver

I wonder now about the model number.... I see in Keith's old post here when he found one he called it a FCB-327. If anyone gets a price list out and looks, please post the right number. CBR-327 or FCB-327.

And I found another picture of Kelly's before it was mounted on the tractor and put it in the first post. Shows the chain gear reduction pretty clearly.

evanloock

There is one shown in the 1962 brochure. There is one posted in the brochures section.

Kelly

I didn't find the one in the brochure section??

I did go out to the barn and snapped a few pics of the chain set up, and how it mounts to the tractor, like I said I don't have the belt on mine.

Drive from the right side of tractor

post-85-0-51364900-1354232786_thumb.jpg

drive from the left side looking under tractor

post-85-0-86532000-1354232867_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-06022200-1354232920_thumb.jpg

This is how it mounts to the back of the frame at the trans mount, mine even came with the odd sized shoulder bolts, with out pulling them I think the step was about 5/8" turned down to the 3/8" thread, the sickle bar mount has large holes in it.

post-85-0-23444800-1354232826_thumb.jpg

Kelly

I can't figure out how to blow the pic up and keep it blown up to show the line that the CBR-327 is on.

WheelHorsepricelist1961pg1.png

The CBR-327 is the 4th line down

WheelHorsepricelist1961pg2.png

If you left click on the bottom price list it shows up better.

MalMac

Kelly is that the sickle that I brought up to you?

Kelly

Kelly is that the sickle that I brought up to you?

Yes it is, I thank you too, I don't plan on getting rid of it, I'd like to restore it along with the 701 and display them together.

CasualObserver

I didn't find the one in the brochure section??

Eric's talking about this little picture in the it's there, I just put it there earlier this week. Unfortunately it didn't have the model number. But I see in your scan that it is CBR-327.

cbr-327_1962_mini_brochure.jpg

Great pictures by the way.

• Like 1

evanloock

Interesting...it also shows that both the straight (seen on the 603) AND angled footrests were available in 61.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I noticed that too Eric. Custom to your comfort I guess?

I would love to see a Blanket or umbrella. Surely somebody must have one of these tucked away in a shed loft somewhere! They're shown on the back of the 1961 brochure, but I've never seen either in real life.

1961accessories.jpg

MalMac

Kelly glad to see it being restored, all it was doing around here was getting in the way. At the time I had too much and not enough room. I have finally got down to a manageable mess. The sickles are nice but storing them can be a pain. I sold two side mounts to a member on here and they are being restored instead of being in my way waiting for the day that probably would have never come. I did come across another front mount like the one that I brought up to you. So far I have not went and got it. Hard not too but having room for other restore projects is kinda nice. Guess time will tell.

evanloock

Just bought one of these off eBay today. Shame no one has seen a IPL/operators manual for one.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Just bought one of these off eBay today. Shame no one has seen a IPL/operators manual for one.

Cool! Man, if not even you have the IPL for it, I'd guess nobody does. Hard to believe they would have let something like that slip though. By those days they were already a serious commercial outfit. Maybe one will turn up someday.

Congrats on the buy.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

evanloock

You think since they included it in the 62 brochure there would be an IPL/owner's Manuel printed. That is my biggest disappointment with the Martino books......were there manuals for the Seniors or other items that haven't been discovered? What about attachments such as the sickle bar mower for the Senior??? Was one ever produced prototype or otherwise?? Questions I guess will never be answered now that Cecil is gone.

CasualObserver

...were there manuals for the Seniors or other items that haven't been discovered? What about attachments such as the sickle bar mower for the Senior??? Was one ever produced prototype or otherwise?? Questions I guess will never be answered now that Cecil is gone.

I've wondered about that too.  When I went and toured Toro Corporate with Ed, I asked him about a manual for the seniors.  He showed me the service departments huge rack of Wheel Horse manuals all lined up in their counter stand type binders.... and said nope.... and if it's not in here, Toro never had one.  There are manuals for a Walk-away, and a Ride-away Jr, but not a Senior.  Maybe as young as the company was, they were putting a majority of their printing dollars into advertising... which also wasn't very much yet.  Just a few brochures, and some magazine spots.  I think there probably has also been a lot of that early low production kind of stuff that may have been lost in the buyouts and corporate transitions.

I sent an email off to a contact who checked the records at Toro.  The answer came back,

after a thorough check of information at Toro, no luck.  The CBR-327 never made it into the Wheel Horse model number database when it was compiled, so this would indicate there was not much support activity (= very few made)

So, ultimately... I think that like the 754, the probability is that a manual was never produced for this short-run production item (the CBR-327).  We're probably lucky it even made it to the price list and brochure.  Although... if you notice... the price list is even missing the weight and price.  It's like it barely existed.

• Excellent 1

Kelly

Any pictures of your new find ??? 

evanloock

Just the pic off eBay.....haven't received it yet.

image.jpg

Edited by evanloock
  • Like 1