Sign in to follow this  
rojojr13

D series - needs wider front - suggestion needed

rojojr13

Hi all, I have a d-160 with a homemade loader on it. The problem is it is now very tippy. I rolled it once and broke some ribs. This is not an experience that I want to repeat. It was not on too much of a slope when it went over. I want to widen the front end. Does any one know of a machine with a front axle that I could use to accomplish this. I am going to convert it to power steering so I am not worried about the steering connections. A connection like what wheel horse uses would be a plus. Other ideas would also be usefull. Thank. I will try and get some photos up. Rojo

Trouty56

As much as a D series weighs....man are you lucky to have escaped with what you did. I have seen a few kingpin design steering spindles that a couple guys have designed. Trailer hubs and 4 bolt rims were used. The stance was broadened a bit afterwards. Hopefully you can find something that will help you.

wallfish

Running dual tires on the rear will stabilize the tractor a great deal. Also, make sure to have the bucket as low as you can when driving it.

• Like 3

Don1977

Take a look at the Front axle that Blacksmithman built for his MTD 990 loader. Using his idea you could build one wider styled to match your Wheel horse axle.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=98507

JamesBe1

I have the same issue with mine. I almost tipped it once on some uneven ground. Luckily I caught it in time. But now I am very careful not to drive with the bucket up, across anything but level ground. Too bad the buckets don't angle back further, it would really make it even more useful.

That's a great idea from wallfish. I am going to look into duals in the back.

Also, ballast in the wheels should help. Mine have liquid in them from the previous owner. Don't know what it is, but I am sure it helps with stability.

JackC

" I want to widen the front end."

Attaching duels to widen the back end would be easier.

http://www.wheelhorse.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=319

Or have a fabricator cut and extend both sides of the front axle and tie rods.

rojojr13

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I did learn my lesson quickly about carrying the bucket low. I was putting gravel on the driveway and was lifting the bucket to get the gravel where I wanted it - never again. I agree that duallys would be a good idea. Thanks for the link. I have been looking for another set of tires and rims and will get these on at some point. It is a custom made bucket and I think that is part of the problem because it is wider than most of the commercially made ones. Don1977 thanks for the plans. This was something I was also considering.

I was wonding if anyone has experience with a lo-boy axle. I have only seen pictures. According to the specs they the 154s are 52" wide where the D series are 45.5". That 6.5" would make a big difference right where I need it. It appears that attaching the axle to the frame would be similar. I know this is a wheel horse forum and some of you guys are likely not thrilled with my ideas to hack up a true horse and use another company's parts - I have plenty of pure horses and am interested in functionality and safety on this one. Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted.

rojo

• Like 1