Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

Wondering How?

AMC RULES

How do I go about determining the year of manufacture of this ST that followed me home today? :scratchead:

post-3498-0-08713300-1353106233_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-82523100-1353106259_thumb.jp

• Like 1

evanloock

The gearbox is the giveaway....it's a ST-3072 from 1962. With a few different parts it would be a ST-302 used on the mid-engine tractors.

AMC RULES

:banana-rock: Awesome! :thanks:

Coadster32

Strange how those things just "follow you home" isn't it?? :eusa-think: . Looks like it will bolt onto a 854,753,etc. I have one on my 753. Haven't really used it yet, but didn't stop me from rebuilding it either.

pics002-5.jpg

(picture before the rebuild)

• Like 2

TT

I have one and did get to use it once - but only because it was attached to my 704 when I bought it.

20908020-1.jpg

I used it only because I wanted to legitimately say I did. It worked well, but I'll use my newer throwers so the ST-3072 doesn't get destroyed. :handgestures-thumbup:

Although I have never tried it on an 854, I suspect the gearbox might hit the side of the longer hood.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Strange how those things just "follow you home" isn't it?? :eusa-think: .

Strange will be when they stop. :ychain:

Seems I remember some picts of you plowing while standing on a mid mount grader blade, floating around here somewhere too Terry? :scratchead:

• Like 1

evanloock

Pretty good a guy from the sunbelt knows his WH snowblowers!!! May be moving to Alaska for a few years so I just might need one!!!

TT

Seems I remember some picts of you plowing while standing on a mid mount grader blade, floating around here somewhere too Terry? :scratchead:

This one?

011908044.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Yeah, that's a classic Terry. :text-coolphotos:

Ken B

Nice find Craig, I know you'll make sure to make a video of it on yer 702 when it snows! You are going to have to build a barn soon if all this stuff keeps following you home! That, or you'll have to park the AMC outside! :ychain:

KC9KAS

That is 1 way to get "down pressure" on your blade! :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Nice find Craig, I know you'll make sure to make a video of it on yer 702 when it snows! You are going to have to build a barn soon if all this stuff keeps following you home! That, or you'll have to park the AMC outside! :ychain:

Yeah, well that's not gonna happen.

Actually...this was the only time it was outside the garage all year.

post-3498-0-79761200-1353286558_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

These two videos give you an idea where I left off with the blower before I went all gimpy last month. :sad-bored:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3CiO_MscfE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-LslJ5mS-I

Once mounted, I fired it up and noticed the drive pulley on the gear box was doing some funky things while in operation, :scared-eek:

Considering I've never been inside one, can anyone give me an idea of whats going on in there, and a possible fix for this issue? :thanks:

TT

can anyone give me an idea of whats going on in there, and a possible fix for this issue?

All that's in there are two counter-rotating / straight-cut gears mounted to shafts that turn in needle bearings.

It sounds like there's a bad needle bearing or two, and maybe some wear on the input shaft.

It's been a long time since I had one apart, but I believe the bearings and seals are the same as some of the old Uni-Drive parts.

I'd say a disassembly & inspection is in order. :handgestures-thumbup:

squonk

Take it apart in your living room while you're watching Kelly and Michael and let us know what's wrong!! :ychain: :ychain: I love the looks of that blower on an old Roundie :thumbs:

Tankman

Very nice snow blower! Are you "sure" the old :wh: iron followed you home? :-)

AMC RULES

Thanks Bob. :handgestures-thumbsup: