Sign in to follow this  
JoeM

418-c steering

JoeM

I have a 418-c and use it to mow. I have hills and when turning up the hill the front wheels "plow" and the machine tends to go straight. i"ve installed front wheel weights and that made a small inprovement, also installed tire chains on the front wheels and that helped too. But I am still not satisfied. I am thinking the problem is those 10.50 rear tires. Anyone got suggestions?post-6026-0-75737800-1352936273.jpg

smoreau

Is it only with the deck down? try lifting it up a little when turning. remember that the wait shift of being on the side of a hill will change how the tractor handles. You may need to add more weight up front.

JoeM

Never tried the deck up. good point on the weight. I had to add 50lbs to my 145C when I use the tiller to steer. Might add those on and try it. (that is if the snow holds off)

can whlvr

hers another way to do chains on the front

DSC00014.jpg

• Like 1

Tankman

Perhaps three-rib front ag tires might help (?). :eusa-think:

kpinnc

I would also jack up the rear wheels and turn one by hand- just to be sure the differential is working. With the engine switched off, the rear wheels should spin freely, in opposite directions from one another.

They don't freeze up or "stick" often, but it's worth looking. A broken bolt or something similar wedged in the diff could cause it.

That tractor with that deck should have plenty of weight up front for steering.

HorseFixer

I dont know about mowing but I am a believer in the 3 ribbed tires on the snow removal applications. My first Snow Chucker I thought I was going to twist the steering wheel off when it was sitting on pavement with the blower up and all that weight on the front tires! When I changed over to the 3 ribbed it was like I had power steering what an improvement!! :handgestures-thumbupright: Before I had switched I had done many searches and read many posts on how The Three Ribbed tires steered better on Ice and after useing them they do that is with the blower up with all the weight on the front wheels Problem is when you let the blower down the front weight comes off the front end and actually kinda takes some weight off the front tires and my Chucker Tends to push a bit with tires fully cranked. :eusa-think: Thats why I went to 75 lb weights each wheel on the New Chucker also The 520 will be much heavier up front with that larger engine. At least thats what I am hoping! :) And Yes I agree with Scotty same as my blower being let down the deck may be taking weight off the front wheels causing that push and I believe the 3 Ribs will help your steering. :thumbs: After all, sit back a minute and think about this..... Why do the farmers do it on their big tractors? :eusa-whistle: I've talked to several, and they say just for that reason. Good Luck

~Duke

JoeM

I like all the suggestions. those roller chains will act like ribed tires, cool!

Never gave that rearend a thought either.

leeave96

You can put chevron pattern ag tires on the front, but I believe to get them to properly grip going forward, the >>> pattern needs to be pointed towards the rear vs. front as would be the case on rear mounted ag tires. The direction of these ag tires is a mind bender for me - so if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Good luck,

Bill