Sign in to follow this  
AmalgamousProxy

New (to me) C-101

AmalgamousProxy

I just got a C-101 found in a garage in PA that has been sitting for 19+ years. Heck, I think it still has the original tires on it. When I got it home I went to cleaning and working on it in my spare time, the 10HP Kohler runs perfect. The smell of old varnished up gas is still lingering in my shop.

post-8620-0-72471800-1348977045_thumb.jp

However, I need some information please. I have been searching for what bearings part numbers and what not are needed to rebuild the PTO. The clutch is good, just the outer bearing is shot. I went to my local lawn and garden center and they pulled out their books and stood there scouring them and scratching their heads like a monkey looking at math problems for 30 min before telling me to check the internet. So here I am.

• Like 1

MalMac

If your looking for just the outer PTO bearing, the part # is 109842. The part is available from a Toro dealer. I don't know what the actual bearing number is. That is just the number Toro uses. Press the bearing out and look for numbers on the bearing and you should be able to go to NAPA or any bearing shop and get it for a lot less than Toro will charge. Someone else may chime in here that knows what the actual number is. It is a common bearing to replace.

• Like 2

AmalgamousProxy

Thanks! That was very useful, I was able to trace that number to a web site that sold tractor parts and came up with this: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=81-10K801%2C+C-101+8-Speed+Tractor%2C+1978&dn=810006R2-06R20055-00027

rmaynard

The outer bearing 109842 is very common. You should only have to pay about $3 or $4 for it. The inner needle bearing 106796 is noted as no longer available from Toro, but I bought 3 of them on eBay last year for $15.00 each. I will try to find the generic number for you later this morning.

I just retrieved a bearing from the shed and it is an INA bearing, part number SCE 2420.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

Forest Road

Pull the clutch off once or twice a year and wipe a film of grease on the inner bearing. Just enough to coat it. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

All that time that tractor sat waiting patiently for you to rescue it...nice score there.

:WRS:

• Like 1

jay in nc

nice tractor, welcome to redsquare, im in selma where are you Jay

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: thats a very nice looking tractor! ~Jake

• Like 1

AmalgamousProxy

nice tractor, welcome to redsquare, im in selma where are you Jay

I'm in New Bern in Craven county.

AmalgamousProxy

It seems there is a split on many sites on utilizing a wheel horse and then keeping them for restoration and not for use. Sorry to say I'm going to use mine for some yard work. I am by no means going to beat it up and run it into the ground. But I feel a farm implement that isn't doing anything is, well, incomplete, not fulfilling it's purpose if you will. Opinions?

can whlvr

if you hang around long enough you will find that a very large percentage of us wheelhorse owners use them as for what they were built to do,work them,i have a 78 c101 that is actually my trailer queen,but i work even older horses than the 78 so you wont be chastized around here,and welcome to red square

• Like 1

jay in nc

i use almost all of my horses. i plow,mow, push dirt, pull sweepers, haul dirt&mulch and sometimes have a party where everyone comes and rides them around! meet & greet last weekend in april. ya'll come! Jay

• Like 1

AmalgamousProxy

I'm by no means talking bad on those who do 100% restorations and don't use them. If I had another C-101 I'd probably go all out on prettying it up and take it to shows (If there are any around here).

Ken B

She is your tractor and it is up to you to decide how you want to use it. I think maybe it is the much earlier tractors that once restored might see limited heavy work use. Parts are a little harder to find for the earlier models. Your C-101 is a pretty rugged tractor and parts are still plentiful for it and at reasonable prices. Personally speaking, when I do a restoration on a later tractor (1965 and up) I do what I call a worker restoration. By that I do mean totally gone thru and looking nice, but not over the top. This way I can still use it for yard chores without having a fit if I scratch it or ding it up. I have gone the show tractor restoration route in the past and all I wound up with were a bunch of tractors collecting dust in my garage because I didn't want to dirty or scratch them up. A worker restoration will take me about a month or so to do. A show restoration I have spent upwards of a yr. doing. This is an example of a worker restoration that I used pretty hard! Here is a video of a worker restore in action.

55hp589-1.jpg

• Like 1

AmalgamousProxy

I noticed a lot of ribbed V pattern AG tires on wheel horses across the sites. Do you guys do this for looks or for function? I know they provide superior traction but they are also known to mark up the yard quite a bit when making sharp turns. Heck I've seen images of wheel horses with dualies on the rear. Amazingly enough the tires on mine are in phenomenal shape for their age, although it's almost certainly superficial and are bound to need a new set sooner or later. Just getting you guy's opinions.

bowtiebutler956

Ag's work best for maximum traction, when pulling somthing heavy or working in the garden. Now if all your doing with your :wh: is mowing, then I would stick with a turf tire. :thumbs: I love the looks as well.

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-10932500-1349132795.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

wheelhorsinaround333530.jpg

Dual ags rule. :thumbs:

• Like 1

AmalgamousProxy

What color red do you use? I need to repaint my tractor (eventually) and get decals.

bowtiebutler956

I used IH Red on my B-80. The decals you can get from Terry the vinylguy. He is in the vendors section, and makes beautiful decals! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

kpinnc

I noticed a lot of ribbed V pattern AG tires on wheel horses across the sites. Do you guys do this for looks or for function? I know they provide superior traction but they are also known to mark up the yard quite a bit when making sharp turns. Heck I've seen images of wheel horses with dualies on the rear. Amazingly enough the tires on mine are in phenomenal shape for their age, although it's almost certainly superficial and are bound to need a new set sooner or later. Just getting you guy's opinions.

Make no mistake, ag tires are used for both looks AND function. But as you said, they are hard on soft turf. If you plan to use the tractor for gardening (moldboard plow, cultivators, disc sets, or dozer blades to push dirt), they are very well worth it- as are tri-ribs up front. If you're just mowing or using the machine for "yard duties", they are not needed at all. A good agressive-tread turf tire will meet most any requirement without tearing up the grass, and they look good too.

Nice 101 by the way. You probably own the only one that far east! Glad to see another NC collector!

• Like 1