Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

Close call, almost lost one...

zieg72

Dummy me, having issues starting it and running it anyway... I have always suspected the fuse block and it melted the middle fuse. I chiseled out the fuse and put a new in with the burnt connections and started mowing. She stopped, shorted out and started smoking wires... Luckily the + battery cable was just about corroded in 1/2 so I broke it off the battery. Pictured is the tow of shame, glad the 308 was up to the challenge 1st in low range. I just walked back and forth steering them both back into the garage. Luckily just replacing the terminal end and put waterproof fuse holders where the fuse box was.

post-96-0-84757000-1348196565.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

No shame in living to work another day...at least you caught it before the meltdown. :angry-extinguishflame:

MalMac

Just never a dull moment with these tractors. Keeps life interesting don't you think? Sometimes myself could use a dull moment here and there.

varosd

always good to have a backup Horse!

Hydro

That looks like a Kohler towing and Onan. Nothing new about that. :hide:

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Luckily the + battery cable was just about corroded in 1/2 so I broke it off the battery.

squirrelfacepalm.jpg

SOI weeps

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Yeehaa... that was close. At least nothing was really damaged and no one got hurt.

zieg72

Luckily the + battery cable was just about corroded in 1/2 so I broke it off the battery.

squirrelfacepalm.jpg

SOI weeps

Not that it matters but the cable end was corroded under the red rubber shield. I should have been more diligent on my maintenance.

MarkPalmer

I'm amazed in the 40 years my father in law ran the 867 I have now that it didn't burst in to flames. The fuel line that routes about 1 inch under the hot exhaust was so stale the rubber had turned rock hard and could have cracked open at any time. Some of the original wiring and connectors were in bad shape also. I've heard of many accounts of these old tractors going up in smoke, so best to go in and at least inspect all that stuff now and then.

-Mark-

TT

Not hard to see why I prefer magneto ignitions and recoil starters. :ychain:

Tankman

"Stuff" happens! Ouch.

'68 Raider 12 brought in the '88 414-8. Raider saved the day.