Sign in to follow this  
tommyg

Kohler Flywheel Screen Went Flying

tommyg

Anyone ever see this happen to the screen that covers the flywheel on the 18HP Kohler for a D-180? It just tore out from the center and started making all kind of noise and throwing sparks as I was finishing up aerating my lawn this evening. Is this part still available? The engine model is K482s and the spec is 35222b. The Kohler site comes up with nothing.

rmaynard

If you can't come up with a new screen, I'm sure someone here has one.

As evidenced by your dilemma, it pays to check the screen screws once in a while to make sure they haven't worked loose.

AMC RULES

Yikes! :scared-eek: Imagine the carnage that thing could potentially cause. :auto-ambulance:

Kelly

Worst part is on a D you have to pull the engine to change it.

Shuboxlover

Is that a two piece screen?

JackC

Very unusual. I think I will check my screen screws on my D-160s.

I have seen them for sale on eBay.

You will at least have to disconnect the drive to the pump.

Kelly

It is now :hide: , but I think it was a one piece, with the hole in the middle.

Buckshot 1

:) screen PN: 277907. You might check Joes Outdoor Power or Patton Acres and of course E-Bay. :flags-usa:

tommyg

Worst part is on a D you have to pull the engine to change it.

Yeah, I know. I was looking at it this morning. If I can get at it with a little space, I was thinking of bending it back in position and using some wire to kind of tie it back in. At least for now.

Nope, it's one piece. But like Kelly said, it's a one piece with a very large hole in the middle!

:) screen PN: 277907. You might check Joes Outdoor Power or Patton Acres and of course E-Bay. :flags-usa:

Thanks for the PN! I will have to check on it!

JamesBe1

On my engine that just died, I noticed the two of the four screws that hold mine down were missing, and the remaining two were loose. I even used lockwashers when I installed them. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes on them from now.

tommyg

So JamesB1... does your dead motor feel like donating it's flywheel screen so that another may live? (If so, PM me and let me know how much you want for it)

JamesBe1

Would that I could, but the motor that I am rebuilding needs one. The one prior to that rotted away completely.

tommyg

Oh well. It was worth a shot.

JamesBe1

It doesn't hurt to ask my friend. Actually, it was graciously donated to me by Hodge71. If I had it as a spare, I would certainly help out a fellow dysfunctional family member. FWIW, it was from a different tractor, and I had to enlarge the hole in the center to make it fit. You might look for the cheapest screen from any type of k482 or K582 and adapt it.

• Like 1

Don1977

The flywheels look the same, I think any single cylinder Kolher with a geared started would fit. You would just have to cut the hole in it. Might be a good idea to use some blue Locktite on the screws.

• Like 1

Trouty56

A piece of expanded sheet metal would suffice, Tack a heavy wire edge around it if you are worried about the sharpness.

Buckshot 1

:) Tommyg, you are Welcome. :flags-usa:

KATO

Definitely a yes on the blue loctite.!!!

tommyg

Well, it looks like the part is not available, surprise, surprise. The expanded metal was a good idea as is the blue Loctite. The weird thing is that all the screws are in place. This thing just ripped out from the center hole. I guess they call it metal fatigue. The good news is that I located another one from jdog. Should be back in business soon.

gregg'shorses

Ditto on Joes outdoor power in Michigan, nice guy to deal with ,he has stuff on ebay.