Sign in to follow this  
krazy_horse

Tecumseh Carb. Rebuilds

krazy_horse

Is there any good tutorials with pictures (that I cant seem to find) on rebuilding Techy carbs? I want to remove those little freeze plug looking things and really do a first class rebuild. Thanks!

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I dont think I've ever seen anything other than what is in the manual. There are some pictures there showing the freeze plug removal.

Good luck!

AMC RULES

:wwp:

Terry M

I would be interested in this info also because those tecumsehs are in everything I own. :tools-wrench: :)

pfrederi

Have never had to remove the plugs yet . Have tecumsehs on my L-107, Troybilt tiller, yard man snow blower, yard man chipper, sears weed wacker. Clean them good and they work fine.

krazy_horse

Thanks for the reply. The reason I mentioned the welch plugs is they are included in every kit I have looked at. I dont know if you need to remove them to get a really good cleaning.

Terry M

Thanks for the reply. The reason I mentioned the welch plugs is they are included in every kit I have looked at. I dont know if you need to remove them to get a really good cleaning.

But this makes me wonder why those are included. do they sometimes wear-out or fall out or leak, or is it for replacement after a total dismantel and clean???

I'm going try a rebuild without the removel. Thanks

SousaKerry

I never used to remove them until I tried it one day. They are easy and I do it every time now. Pound a small screwdriver through the center of the.plug and pry it out. To insert place it in the hole and use a flat ended punch just smaller then the diameter of the plug. Tap the punch with a hammer and wallah.

Terry M

Thanks, Sounds easy enough for me to try. :) :tools-wrench:

krazy_horse

Yes,it is easy. I have a carb in soak this morning. This will be my best rebuild on these Tecky carbs. Thanks to all fo replys and advice!

VinsRJ

I suggest throwing the Tech carb out and replacing it with a Carter N. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Eboy

go on youtube. There are videos showing you how to re-build carbs.

Don1977

I suggest throwing the Tech carb out and replacing it with a Carter N. :happy-jumpeveryone:

With a Kohler engine attached to the Carter N. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Buckshot 1

:) I used a small chisel ground on the end with a 45 degree angle. Do not forget to use finger nail polish to seal the outside edges of the welch plugs after installing. :flags-usa:

SousaKerry

Do not forget to use finger nail polish to seal the outside edges of the welch plugs after installing

Doh.... :kbutt::scratchead::disgust:

I have never done that yet but now I'm going to start.

Buckshot 1

:) I should have added to my post, use colored polish as for some unknow reason gasoline will eat the clear polish but not the colored. This is a old trick used by old time mechanics/techs. Everyone used a different color of polish so the next time some one different worked on the carb., they would know by the color who worked on it before. :flags-usa:

buckrancher

besure the metal rod inside the tube next to the venturi (main jet) rattles back and forth if you shake the carb

body next to your ear

Brian

Terry M

besure the metal rod inside the tube next to the venturi (main jet) rattles back and forth if you shake the carb

body next to your ear

Brian

Yes,it is easy. I have a carb in soak this morning. This will be my best rebuild on these Tecky carbs. Thanks to all fo replys and advice!

Thanks Brian, good to know. Krazy horse, what do people use these days to soak their carbs during a rebuild? 20 years ago I used laquer thinner. just had to make sure that all plastic and rubber was taken off.

pfrederi

body next to your ear

Brian

Thanks Brian, good to know. Krazy horse, what do people use these days to soak their carbs during a rebuild? 20 years ago I used laquer thinner. just had to make sure that all plastic and rubber was taken off.

I have had good success with Berryman's. Comes in a 1 gallon can with a basket inside. Les than $20 at Walmart, PEP boys etc.

krazy_horse

I dont remember the name,I bought the gallon can with the basket. I believe it is the Gunk Brand. I use to like the good stuff we got back in the old days that would eat your fingernails off., like a lot of things those days and good carb cleaner are gone forever.

Terry M

body next to your ear

Brian

I have had good success with Berryman's. Comes in a 1 gallon can with a basket inside. Les than $20 at Walmart, PEP boys etc.

Thanks, I'll look for that when I'm ready to do a rebuild!
  • Like 1