Sign in to follow this  
squonk

EEEK II Check you front axle pivot pins!!

squonk

I was swapping out my front axle on my C-160. The spindles were getting sloppy where they go through the axle. I'm replacing the axle with one that had bronze bushings installed I removed the tie rods and front attach a matic. Pulled the 3 bolts that hold the attach a matic bracket and the axle fell out. I found this. Part of the mounting bracket was missing. Good thing I had a spare pin

post-2380-0-42149900-1347404396_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-50449900-1347404434_thumb.jp

Kelly

That is a common problem I've ran in to working on these tractors, I cut some 3/4" bar stock to the right size and had a buddy machine the clip groove in them, then I made up a bunch of the tabs, I've been welding them together as I needed them.

• Like 1

Martin

thats probably more common than you might realize with the older more beat on stuff...

out of the 3 ive redone 2 were just like that......

once they start getting loose, they beat that mounting tab real hard, flexing back and forth until it breaks.

Martin

kelly, ive been wondering how i can make them with the groove, just dont have the equipment, or know any one that can do them. ive thought about using a rear hitch pin and cut it to the right length and then weld a tab on it.. the last one i did i used collars with set screws (on my 1057) that i welded front and rear on the frame brackets to hold the pin in place.

buckrancher

:greetings-wavingblue:

perry

as said, its a common problem, out of the many tractors that i have taken apart maybe 1 or 2 of the pins were good.

squonk

:greetings-wavingblue:

Here's an idea Brian. Maybe whip a few and sell them at the show next year. I'd buy one for a spare! :thumbs: :banana-wrench:

SousaKerry

It's really a simple part for anyone with access to a lathe and a welder. If I still ran production equipment I could do a dozen over lunch but all I have access to now is a manual so it takes all lunch to set up and run one..

meadowfield

Hacksaw blade to cut the groove is close enough, well it looks like it would work :) done that elsewhere....

• Like 1

gomer gump

had this happen alot especially with 520h with 60 in decks . simple fix go to toro dealer or online dealer order new one their inexpensive an easy to replace probably will last you a long time yes it is a weak spot and bad design but on most of the tractors ive seen had been on for 15 plus years i put all stock ones back on mine works great an will probably out live me ha ha sometimes it,s better to just keep it simple it,s just a garden tractor

sorekiwi

Before anyone gets too carried away with making these things, you can buy one from your Toro dealer for about $18.

A couple of my tractors have homemade pins in them, but I think they probably cost me that much to make them if you take into account the cost of the lathe , the bandsaw, the welder, the 3/4" round bar, the 3/16" falt bar, the argon for the welder and the electricity to run the machines. You'll pay more than that for a drive belt.

I actually dont think its a very good arrangement either, the forward-most hole in the frame that the pin locates in is almost always flogged out to some degree, so the pin flexes as you drive your tractor around causing the plate to break on the back of the pin.

The earlier system (pre 1963) with the 5/8" bolt seems to be a much better idea to me, at least you can tighten the thing up a little. On my 1276 that I'm playing around at the moment I am using a 3/4" shoulder bolt as an axle pivot. I'm hoping to find an arrangement I like better than the OEM set-up.

• Like 2