Sign in to follow this  
1maidenfan

Rust removeal from chrome hub caps

1maidenfan

Whats the best way to remove surface rust from the chrome hub caps. :confusion-confused:

:text-thankyoublue:

varosd

there are multiple threads on rust removal off chrome, using the RS search function. I used aluminum foil and a little water and started rubbing. saw it on a RS thread, You'all tube and Mistbusters :D

AMC RULES

How does that aluminum foil thing work Don?

KATO

Ive used a product called "Never Dull". Comes in a small can and its cotton wadding with something on it ?????

worked great for me on bumpers and what not.

• Like 1

Zeek

I have used 0000 steel wool with liquid wax with success.

Although I use this stuff primarily for polishing aluminum, it works great on chrome too with the 0000 steel wool. http://www.gordsaluminumpolish.com/

varosd

How does that aluminum foil thing work Don?

Chemical reaction I think.

small pieces of foil and a little water, use tips of fingers and start rubbing in small area and add a drop or two of water as a kind of lubrication. keep switching out new foil as needed. there was a thread with someone showing the results on half a hubcap.

followup with wax.

1maidenfan

Thanks all. Had heard of the foil trick but wasnt sure what to use with it. Will be trying it on sunday.

HorseFixer

Wood Bleach You wont believe it. I gotta disagree with brother zeek, never use steel wool on chrome because it scratches the chrome use brass wool or something softer than the chrome.

Here is a link How I do it.

~Duke

• Like 1

1maidenfan

Well I ( and my 8 yr old daughter) tried the aluminum foil on rusty chrome ...well I'll be, it actually worked fairly well.

I am posting 4 photos , the first two are the hubcaps before cleaning and the other two are after cleaning. Also I should mention that my daughter(did I mention she is 8) did one of them and I did the other. What a lil helper she is(sometimes) LOL.

One other thing to add, we only spent about 10 - 15 min on each one and these have NO polish on them.

post-4490-0-66168300-1347412738_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-53556800-1347412761_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-68055300-1347412781_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-90615200-1347412799_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Zeek

Hmm . . . have to try that.

AMC RULES

WOW! Me too.

1maidenfan

As you can clearly see the rust is not removed very well in the indented lettering, but I believe with a little more work it should come out looking like the rest of it. I hope !

I believe these will be a small part of the items I will be donating at Scotts (whfan74) meet n greet in Oct. for the raffle, or auction.

No rain, no rain!!!

546cowboy

Who would have thunk it???????????????

Shuboxlover

I've always used 0000 steel wool on all my chrome...after all, there is ALOT of chrome on a 56 Chevy :) I also use the steel wool to remove dead, dried out bugs on the windshield, and also water spots on the windows (that I may have not got off after drying it off)

Zeek

Here is plastic hub cap that ran some 0000 steel wool over - bare, no wax, no scratch . . . light touch, just enough to get it done ....

Before

post-3784-0-92321000-1347843237_thumb.jp

After

post-3784-0-31096400-1347843280_thumb.jp

Coadster32

Great results with that aluminum foil trick....in my memory banks for sure. I have seen bronze steel wool as well. That's easier on chrome too.