Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

42" RD "Grass blade blow-up problem"

GlenPettit

Here's what I did to reduce the grass blades from blowing up from under the tractor (312-8):

DSCN0102.jpg

That piece of rubber is just a $2 48" x 4" piece of kitchen kick-wall, cut to 3' and bolted to the back of the deck. The square holes are already there (the WH factory did offer a metal plate to solve this problem in the 80's, discontinued).

DSCN0099.jpg

And an underside shot. When I scrape and clean the deck: (1) Rust converter, (2) Aluminum primer, (3) White gloss paint (easy to see). The black you see is after the first use, I was in a hurry to use it. The blades are: "Gator Blades" on first and then the original regular blades, at 90º to each other. The rubber extension is only about 2.5" out, but it does make a big difference in directing the grass down quickly, I get no blow-up inside or on me while cutting even dry grass. This thin cheap rubber will last me about 50 hours of cutting, got it from a box store (Menards),

better quality rubber would certainly last longer.

DSCN0100.jpg

Comparing a RD (Rear discharge) deck to a SD (Side) deck (a very dirty one). I prefer the RD for a nice cut, not having to think which side the chute is on or having to allow for the wind direction, but the RD is not effective in very long moist grass, the SD works much better for that. The dual blade (6 blades = 12 cutting edges) gives me a much finer and shorter pieces on the cut grass, which disappear quicker and reduce the clumps, plus I like the even distribution look of the cut grass thrown out.

• Like 3

varosd

the PO for my 48 SD had 3 smaller blades (about 6 inchs), set at 90 like what you did, that had weed wacker line looped at the end of the blade, I gues to aid in breaking up clumps. not sure if they were a modified edger blade or what. PIA to get the blades off! did you add a washer between the blades?

the small blades were rusted and bent and left off.

GlenPettit

No, mounted tight together without a washer; there is enough extra threads on the spindle bolt to easily hold both (using the thiner 3/4" nut).

The blades tend to stay at 90º very well on a nice lawn, but thick moist clumpy grass, or dirt mounds (from moles), may skew the blades, but even so it seems to still cut the same. I always put a little white grease on the threads when remounting the blades, (that "grass juice" is a caustic acid that becomes a glue under the deck), the grease sure makes the blades easy to remove, the rotational direction of the blades keeps the nut on tight, so no problems.

Gator Blades cost about the same as regular blades, but are much much better, they are also called "commercial blades" (your local Auto Parts Stores, like NAPA, can order them for you, at a very fair/lower price than eBay, and you don't have to pay the $10 shipping, don't 'rush' special order them, have them come in with their regular weekly shipments). In fact, ask to see their "Power Equipment Products" catalog, they have lots of stuff for our tractors (deck wheels, belts, idlers, etc....,) & everything for Kohlers, ask and they may even give you last year's book for free, otherwise about $10, but free to look at in there. If you look at the blades on the new 'better quality' mowers being sold now, they come with these Gator Blades as standard equipment now.

DSCN0107.jpg

And, another suggestion, check with your local Tire Store, like Discount Tire, for your tractor tires, they have a thick catalog with a lot of tires from all manufacturers, much much more than Miller offers, of tires to fit our Wheel Horses, you'll find many full pages of them and they will let you look at that catalog. If these special order tires come in on their regular weekly delivery truck, no charge for shipping, and their prices seem very fair. If I prepay for these tires, my local DT gives me a 10-20% discount, and then will mount for about $5/tire (and their tubes are better quality than TSC, plus less expensive), I just take my WH in to them, like you would a car), they actually act like they love to work on a Wheel Horse.

Glen

DSCN0108.jpg

• Like 1

Lars

Hmm might need to try that to.. Good idea Glen

tommyg

That's interesting. I used to have a Honda Harmony mower that used the same concept. Two blades, but they were kind of sandwiched together and parallel. If I recall, the cutting edge was separated by about a half inch. The purpose was, just as you suggested, to cut the grass into smaller pieces so they sifted down through the grass and decomposed easier. Worked pretty well as a recycler mower.

Duff

Glen, what is the Gator blade PN for the ones that fit your 42" RD deck, please? :thanks:

Duff :thumbs:

312Hydro

Thanks for sharing , Glenn. :handgestures-thumbupright: I think I'll be giving this a try!